E46 Fanatics Forum banner

All Wheel Drive E46 M3

132K views 461 replies 107 participants last post by  Twin_Turbo_S54 
#1 · (Edited)
Posting here does not give me anything other than criticism.

This AWD M3 Project is one of a kind unique Project and surrounded with negative comments.

Posting here does not allow me improve or to stop this Project.

I will be just spending time in front of the keyboard.

I would like my membership to be deleted.

#240 ·
Awesome

Hey Mert, Jake. I posted late last year. I have HPF stage 2.5 (750whp) that pulled 5.45sec 60-130 on Nitto 555s 18x305. I did this pull from 3rd, with virtually no wheel spin as shown on vbox graph. My question is, to run 2 full seconds quicker with less horsepower, I assume u will start pull in 2nd?? It would of course add shift time, but otherwise don't see how U could do it. I know your lightr than me by couple hundred I think (I'm at ~ 3050lbs), but still?
Thanks

#243 · (Edited)
Jake,

I made 997 whp on Dynamics in 2009 this is like 1150 whp on dyno jet.

4 years of R&D passed and today my setup is improved.

on the 4,23 run I ve spayed a 100 shot and went through 1 gear. 3500-9000 rpm.
the area between 3500 till 5000 rpm was not powerful. needed nitrous.

today will go through 3 gears just like gtr35 where I will use 5700 + rpms. This is using the strongest parrts of the power band.

today I got automatic transmission which shifts so fast that you cannot identify gear shifts.
boost does not even drop 1 psi during gear shifts, stays solid.

all Wheel drive is programmable, at which road speed do you want it to be on?

how much torque do you want to transfer to the fronts?

So I am able to play around the all Wheel settings. thats a very very powerful tool.

on our road test with the XM3 a man came by the fuel station and asked about the air lifter.
he thought we were lifting front tires with an air lifter.
In fact the XM3 dead hooks and front tires almost lift off the ground.

Now working on this subject.

Jake, 5,2 to 5,6 seconds 60-130 is a sweat spot for a well prepared E46 M3.

to go below 5 is where the diffculties start.

to go below 4 is where you have to optimize the M3 seriously.

to go below 3,5 is where you have to master on M3, this is what I aim for.

#245 · (Edited)
I do not know but I hope / work and pray each day. I pray God to enable me.

With all Wheel drive and automatic transmission 3,5 seconds is not difficult to attain.

To go sub 3,5 s more power will be needed.

To go 2,8-2,9 seconds, I need to push S54 B35 a lot.

well, there are good news.

when I went 4,23 s boost pressure was 32-33 psi.

I hear that big boys like big supras, and big gtrs are boosting 60 psi. Some of the supras go as high as 90 psi but this is not shared over public forums.

The supras rev 10.500 rpm as well..

I saw 60 psi on forums, but the 90 psi info came from a serious supplier

my plan is to raise boost from 33 psi to 45 psi and see what goes on.

If the system all together goes well, will test 50 psi.

55 psi

60 psi

65 psi and see what happens.

I may need to change turbochargers to boost 60 psi :)

So when I aim under 3 s, I did some calculations.

There is so much left in it.

btw keep 5 sets of S54 pistons on my shelf at my room. Ready for diasasters:)

To answer your question: I have dreams and plans and pray God each day to make my dreams come through.

#251 ·
I ve been working on E36 M3 Euro TT at the same time.
E36 M3 has small details and we stopped working on XM3 till we see 3,7- 3,8 s 60-130 with E36 M3 TT.

New 295 tires turned out to be much wider than Hoosier 295s..

New tires wont fit, decided to test 315 MT ET Street IIs.

road tests

August 21st posted here:

First road test of E36 M3 Euro TT

Tested new setup.

With very rich AFR 10,2-10,4 & 29 psi of boost pressure:

60-100 mph 1,87 seconds. We have very good traction.

My old 4,23 s 60-130 run had 2,40 s 60-100 mph time.

The new setup improved 60-100 mph by 0,53 s.

Tested new tires and 6 speed automatic transmission.

Sub 2 seconds 60-100 mph indicates 3,xx seconds 60-130.

Was not able to hit 130 mph, but old records show 1,75 s 100-130 mph.

Hope to see 60-130 mph in 1,87 + 1,75 = 3,62 seconds in the coming days.

100-190 km/h 3,07 seconds.

29 psi is "soft" boost, raise it 45 psi and test

Boost was 29 psi, a huge leak and 23 psi @8000 rpm.

The E36 M3 TT made us heavily focus on it as I the 1,87 s 60-100 mile time is an indication of sub 4 seconds 60-130 mph.

I hope to see 3,7 - 3,8 s 60-130 with my E36 M3 in 15 days and then put it on hold and road test XM3.

If RWD M3 will see sub 4 this means ALL WHEEL DRIVE M3 has to go sub 3 seconds 60-130...

#254 ·
update? lets see some vids of some sub 3 sec 60-130!!

#255 ·
We focussed on E36 M3 Euro TT for the last 45 days.

It cut a 1,87 s 60-100 mph time all day long. This time encourages me as it is a sign of sub 4 sec run.

Wanted to improve traction further, tested different tires, could not improve traction with the new tires.

Been testing various parts on this car. Cooling system is upgraded. Brakes are upgraded.......

Now our team is on holiday for two weeks. Once we come back from holiday we will try to get a 3,6-3,7 s 60-130 with the RWD E36 M3 Euro. We are just about to see these times ;)

Regarding XM3, we put it aside to focus on E36 M3 TT.
I am very excited to test it as well. Plans are to road test All Wheel Drive M3 in November. In fact the day I see 3,6-3,7 s 60-130 mph with E36 M3, I ll start road testing XM3. It did hook very good on 225 tires as I stated before. Now wider rubber is on XM3 along with upgraded turbochargers.

Been testing launch control with pectel on XM3 as well. This does not take a long time, but needs practice and short tests. Despite the new bigger chargers I am able to build 12 psi at idle....

Regarding videos, bought a VBOX L***305;te camera system with 2 cameras.
It will Show the test and also the speedo, the boost pressure.
Add to that two more cameras of Chase Cam. In total 4 cams will capture these tests.

#257 ·
Ooooooh now this is getting interesting. Btw I have mentioned this before but I love your e36! I am excited to see some footage of these runs. You can officially become the king of forums and BMW. Whether anybody likes you or not! Lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#260 ·
Awesome, I'll b counting down the days til november

#262 · (Edited)
thank you. Will keep you updated.

sure would love to see this go through.
I actually thought about doing that too...
just not sure if i could ever find the parts here where I am
95 % of the parts are fabricated, so you cannot buy them online.

Or else you import my XM3:) Just joking, would not even sell if someone have paid 250 k USD. This is a "dream Project" for me:))

#264 · (Edited)
Yea we have them, they are called xi.. For example the badge says 330xi. But that awd system is not nearly strong enough to handle the power that mert is putting down.

There was never an m3xi

#265 ·
While working on E36 M3 Euro TT (RWD M3) we have redesigned the Fuel system of XM3:

Two Aeromotive Pro Series pumps feed 212 lb injectors. We have been on double Pro Series since 2008 but they were not feeding as good as the new connection.

Each Pro Series is now feeding 3 x 212 injectors. So the fuel rail is divided right in the middle.

Two fuel /methanol pressure sensors hooked to Pectel.

212 lb injectors @ 100 psi will be 316 lb. 316 lb = 3318 cc each injector @ 100 psi.

Do I need that big of injectors? Yes.

We needed to increase injector capacity as the fuel is methanol and want to raise boost pressue up to 45-50 psi.

There were two options:

A- buy Moran injectors 300-400-500 cc. they are very expensive compared to Siemens 212 LB injectors.
Methanol kills injectors very often, so I need to keep injector price lower.

B- raise methanol pressure. Chose route B.

Once our religious holiday ends will road test.

New tires arrived from States for XM3 / RWD M3s.

Good news Vbox Video Lite is here but its got a 100 pages long manal....

#269 · (Edited)
I think I could not express myself.

I did not mention coil over spring rates, I wanted to tell about the fuel injector capacity.

Moron Injectors go up to 575 LB each.

Thank you for the nice words.

Yesterday I ve thought about GTRs, M3s.....Although GTR is very new compared to E46 M3 it has undegone a very intensive tuning program.

So many people work on GTRs worldwide.

Enthusiasts in United Kingdom and USA are pushing the limits of GTRs up and up.

I am a member of gtr.co.uk since 2003,and British GTR fans have been improving R32-33 and R34s since 90s.

But only very very very few people work on E46 M3s...........

I was speaking to myself about this yesterday: M3 vs GTR...

GTR has displacement advantage. 3500 cc S54 XM3 vs 4100 cc
GTR makes more power on boost only.
Recent GTRs run on twin 64 mm chargers. 1500 - 1600 whp.

I was on twin 68 mm back in 2009, was too laggy. Will try 62 mm chargers as XM3 now has an auto tranny and lag is not a big issue these days.

XM3 will be using nitrous, I am used to 250 shot, so N20 will help to overcome power differece. GTRs did not get addicted to nitrous yet, why should they?
GTR is very very fast on boost only.

Transmission: XM3 shifts as fast as GTR.

Transmission: GTR has very short gear ratios, XM3's ratios are longer.

All Wheel Drive Control: XM3 has the ability to turn ON / OFF all Wheel drive system
XM3 has the ability to adjust the amount of torque to the front axles.

Weight: XM3 weighs 3400 lbs. GTR weighs 3950 lbs. This is not gutted, stock weight. After gutting XM3 will still weigh 500 lbs lighter than GTR.

GTR has better aerodynamics.

GTR is a very good car for the ones WHO like hardcore power.
I could have purchased a GTR and get it Alpha XYZ,meaning that get the fastest from tüner XYZ. But that would be "pay", "get installed", "drive" and "boast about your car".

Thats not what I like.
I like to work on M3s, plan, produce parts, install, map electronics, test, dyno, road test, re-produce parts, plan continuously.....Been working on S50 B32 since 1997 and I am still in love with S50 B32 (S54 as well). I simply did not want to be one of the other car owners, rather wanted to build unique M3s cause I am in love with four of my M3s:)

All Wheel Drive M3 was my dream and it came through.
Our time has split into E36 M3 Euro TT and XM3 TT, soon hope to make videos of both M3s.

#273 ·
Have been working hard on E36 M3 Euro TT for the last 4 months.

Once my E36 M3 Euro TT is dialed in it will cut faster times.

Back to XM3....

Body is completed.

from the front it looks like an E46 M3

Parts from Cosworth Pectel

ICD Dash with 14 analogue and 6 digital inputs ...

Pectel Cosworth NTK WideBandSensor

Pectel Cosworth 3-axis accelerometer. All Wheel Drive means traction, I wanted to be able to measure longitudinal g.

Hope to hit roads in a couple of days.

#274 ·
Awesome, have u had experience with any of that cosworth stuff before?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.