E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Yellow Brake light and Triangle with ! with Circle

92K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Lucho813 
#1 ·
Ok, so bought i used bmw and have had a few issues of which a quick search on here has found the right fixes, one thing i have searched for and cant really geta clear answer for is that when i start the car, there is a yellow brake light on as well as the triangle with the ! with a circle, all the searching has done nothing as i could not find anyone else with the same problem,

any help would be great,

Thanks

#5 ·
you could try the stomp test and see if you get any codes from that if not, try the basics like unplug the battery for 30-60 minutes then repeat stomp test and see if any new codes come up. Agreed on checking the fuses as well after doing the code test. If possible use a code reader but if you don't that's a good place to start

#11 · (Edited)
Like this? This indicates that the DSC is switched off. Normally on by default and you need to hold the DSC button down fro three seconds to switch it off. If these lights are on by default may indicate dirty wheel speed sensors or faulty ones, a malfunctioning steering position sensor and so forth. Start with cleaning wheel sensors. That's a cheap and easy place to start. Take a look at the attached PDF for more info on the components involved. Also press your DSC button see if the go out and then come back on again. I should also say that this happened a month or so ago when I had a faulty crank position sensor which caused my car to stall momentarilly while on the move. These lights came on and stayed on until I switched of the ignition. The lights don't mean that you can't drive the car by the way.

#17 · (Edited)
Speed sensors work by detecting changes in magnetic flux density as rotating elements move in and out of the sensor's magnetic field. They are basically permanent magnets with a coil wrapped around them. Anything that interferes, obstructs or bridges the normal gap between the magnet and the rotating element (eg: snow, mud) can have an impact on the voltage of the pulses received by the DME which, in turn, can be interpreted as fault resulting in automatic shutting down of DSC as precaution. So check the cleanliness and integrity of the wheel sensors first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.