E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  yjsaabman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#18,803 ·
When people say leave 8 hours to do it, they mean it. I took stuff off for an hour and didn't get close. Can't even see or get to it without tearing apart half the engine. Ridiculous.

I can pull the rear suspension or put in an engine in half the time it takes to do this damn CCV.
In an hour I had everything removed. I haven't started putting everything back together though.

I always get nervous because I hear insane predictions like 8 hours for CCV, 2 hours for steering coupler and it didn't take me anywhere near that amount :hmm:

#18,806 ·
In an hour I had everything removed. I haven't started putting everything back together though.

I always get nervous because I hear insane predictions like 8 hours for CCV, 2 hours for steering coupler and it didn't take me anywhere near that amount :hmm:
It kind of depends on if the car is being stubborn. The steering coupler should only take an hour really, but some people's get stuck. I couldn't get my new one back on until I unlocked the steering wheel and let it slip one spline over. I imagine the CCV will have several of these unforeseen trouble areas.

#18,807 ·
The steering coupler should only take an hour really, but some people's get stuck. I couldn't get my new one back on until I unlocked the steering wheel and let it slip one spline over.
Steering coupler takes an hour, its more of a tight working space its like two torx bolts, iirc 8mm works and a good wack at the coupler.

#18,809 · (Edited)
Re: * What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Wasn't today was last weekend. Installed new trans. Installed new lca front and adjustable rear. Installed coilivers sittin a bit too low but have not adjusted yet. Filled shifter rod with lead. This week new kicks. Adjust suspension. Unfortunatly i lost my freakin phone while fixing a buddys jeep. So All photos are lost:(.
Oh forgot also replaced radiator.expansion tank and starter. Not bad for a weekend!!
Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp mobile app

#18,811 · (Edited)
Filled shifter rod with lead.
Filling your shifter rod with lead was the dumbest thing you could do. Have fun damaging your synchros when you slam your gears in. Not to mention your hurting your shift input bushing which has severly degraded by this point. Just buy a z4 or e60 m5 shift rod if you already spent all that money. This is how you should fix your shift linkage. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=900208

#18,812 ·

Maybe so. The reason for the trans replacement was the jackwagon that owned the car before me trashed the 2nd gear syncros. Actually it slides into gear pretty well so i dont have to "slam" my gears. It was a free mod from another site figured what the hell. Trans comes out easy enough if i dont like it.

#18,814 ·
8mm ratcheting box wrench was my secret for that job. The bolts were easy. Getting the thing off and on was hard. I used a huge flat head screwdriver and a rubber mallet to get the old one off.
Manuvering the steering shaft was the worst part.

I know the CSB is going to give me problems. I'm also dumbfounded at how my Guibo has arrows pointing in BOTH directions. :hmm:

#18,815 ·
Filling your shifter rod with lead was the dumbest thing you could do. Have fun damaging your synchros when you slam your gears in. Not to mention your hurting your shift input bushing which has severly degraded by this point.
You know that UUC and RE both make weighted selector rods right? On E36s it was common to wrap the selector rod with lead tape as I remember.

Tim

#18,816 ·

You know that UUC and RE both make weighted selector rods right? On E36s it was common to wrap the selector rod with lead tape as I remember.

Tim
My point. I got the site info from an e36 m owner. I just modified the free mod by using wheel weights and a torch melted it down and poured it in. Maybe a bad idea with the known weak syncros maybe not.

#18,817 · (Edited)
Maybe so. The reason for the trans replacement was the jackwagon that owned the car before me trashed the 2nd gear syncros. Actually it slides into gear pretty well so i dont have to "slam" my gears. It was a free mod from another site figured what the hell. Trans comes out easy enough if i dont like it.

Increasing the weight of the selector rod leads to easier shifting from the user, this often leads to the driver using to much weight leading to damaging synchros.

Tim
I do know UUC and RE both make weighted selector rods, along with there being a variety of options for weighted shift knobs. I still believe that most on this forum will damage their synchros because they are careless shifting.

I also don't see why you wouldn't replace the shift input bushing first. That is the number one contributor to poor shifter feel.

#18,819 ·
Increasing the weight of the selector rod leads to easier shifting from the user, this often leads to the driver using to much weight leading to damaging synchros.

I do know UUC and RE both make weighted selector rods, along with there being a variety of options for weighted shift knobs. I still believe that most on this forum will damage their synchros because they are careless shifting.

I also don't see why you wouldn't replace the shift input bushing first. That is the number one contributor to poor shifter feel.
The number one feeling to poor shifter feel in our cars, at least for the S5D320z ZF unit, are the infamous shifter detent pins. I would say if you have this unit, don't bother with shifter upgrades unless this job is completed