E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Sudden Shimmy....

850 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mango 
#1 ·
So I put on the summer wheels that I bought with my 323i and all of a sudden I am getting a crazy vibration through the steering column and another type of one through the entire chassis:hmm:. The rubber is brand new proxi and wheels are in great shape. Took into trusted tired guys and had the balance checked and everything was spot on... double checked inflation and looked for dents and flat spots.. none.

The guy did not + up correct though.. went from stock 15" by 65 to 18" 40 front and 45 rear. I can't imagine that the extra diameter would cause this... It was perfect before switching so it's got to be the wheels...?!?!?! http://s1.e46fanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/thinking.gif

Any magic thoughts out there???

Thanks!!!

-D

#3 ·
I thought about the wheel bots, but I put them on myself and torqued to 95lbs myself in proper order the fist time around... shook before and after the balance check... although not having the car long, and never using that style of lug bolts... you think it's common for that to happen, to both of us??

#4 ·
Likely a bad balance. Some shops are barnyard fantasy and don't have the slightest clue about getting their machines calibrated periodically. I've had this happen to me by a reputable tire shop and after several rebalances i had extreme vibrations. I took it to my alignment guy and two seconds on the machine and hes laughing asking who balanced them. He said he's never seen balancing that far off. Needless to say, he balanced my wheels and they've been perfect since. absolutely no vibrations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.