Kalim's S54 Sedan Swap (Warning: Pic heavy) - Page 38 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2017, 03:53 AM   #741
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne70 View Post
Hello there, as per this topic, I'll need this:

DME, obviously to manage the engine.
EWS, because I want to keep the functionality and it has to be matched to the DME.
Cluster, because it's set up for the S54 and it stores mileage.
LCM, because it stores mileage and I don't want a tamper dot.

but i have another question?

what happen to the pedal (electric)(in my case the 323ci M52), i Know that the electric pedal of the S54 is two lines... does anybody knows a fix for this? or the S54 ecu will manage the original pedal of my 323ci?

as per this topic, the A/C will work normally with the original modules of the E46?

thanks and great work
DME - Yes, you need the MSS54/MSS54HP DME.
EWS - You can use the M3 one if you swap locks, keys, cluster, and LCM. You can instead keep the original EWS from the chassis so the original keys work without changing locks. You'll have to either virginize the DME and resynchronize it to the EWS OR modify the tune to disable EWS. EWS also stores the original chassis mileage.
IKE - It's recommended that you use an M3/S54 cluster. If you keep the original chassis EWS, you have to virginize the IKE and program in the mileage and VIN to match the EWS so you don't get a tamper dot.
LCM/LSZ - You can usually keep the original module without any modifications if you keep the original EWS or you can use the M3 LCM with the M3 EWS or you can use the M3 LCM with the original EWS after you reprogram the VIN and mileage. You have a 323 coupe, so the M3 one will work fine, is probably slightly newer, and should store FA instead of ZCS, which is good.

For the pedal, you'll need to retrofit the electric pedal from an M54 or S54 car. The DME expects an electric pedal and the wiring is simple.

The A/C should work without any trouble, but I've only confirmed this on cars with IHKA (electronic heater control module in the center console). You will need to use a different A/C belt if you keep the original A/C compressor from the chassis as I did in my build.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:51 AM   #742
youinreverse

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
DME - Yes, you need the MSS54/MSS54HP DME.
EWS - You can use the M3 one if you swap locks, keys, cluster, and LCM. You can instead keep the original EWS from the chassis so the original keys work without changing locks. You'll have to either virginize the DME and resynchronize it to the EWS OR modify the tune to disable EWS. EWS also stores the original chassis mileage.
IKE - It's recommended that you use an M3/S54 cluster. If you keep the original chassis EWS, you have to virginize the IKE and program in the mileage and VIN to match the EWS so you don't get a tamper dot.
LCM/LSZ - You can usually keep the original module without any modifications if you keep the original EWS or you can use the M3 LCM with the M3 EWS or you can use the M3 LCM with the original EWS after you reprogram the VIN and mileage. You have a 323 coupe, so the M3 one will work fine, is probably slightly newer, and should store FA instead of ZCS, which is good.

For the pedal, you'll need to retrofit the electric pedal from an M54 or S54 car. The DME expects an electric pedal and the wiring is simple.

The A/C should work without any trouble, but I've only confirmed this on cars with IHKA (electronic heater control module in the center console). You will need to use a different A/C belt if you keep the original A/C compressor from the chassis as I did in my build.
Thanks for this information. I was wondering about some of this as well. I'm doing a swap into my 2000 328i, so this should all be applicable to my swap.
youinreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:36 PM   #743
Mr.ZHP

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
Hello. I am about to start my swap from 2002 M3 to my 2004 330i MS45.1.

I have couple wiring questions i cant find online anywhere.

How did you handle your EKP module wiring?
Did you use Pin 10 on DME X60004 plug? IF so which wire did you hook it upto? Does it just use regular Relay thats already at the back in the trunk passengerside?
Mine is also auto to manual swap. Will disabling clutch switch check in EWS module work without making a harness or grounding it?
Ive seen Kassel Performance MS45.1 to MS54 swap wiring guide. Will i have to do that too? If so what are they for? Also M3s have additional Fuses that goes to 3 different slots in fuse box how am i going to tackle them? Just add the fuses? They are prewired?

My donor 2002 m3 is MK20 dsc. Will my 04 Non-M Mk60 dsc work with MS54 DME if i match its VIN number?

Thanks.
Mr.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:06 AM   #744
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ZHP View Post
Hello. I am about to start my swap from 2002 M3 to my 2004 330i MS45.1.

I have couple wiring questions i cant find online anywhere.

How did you handle your EKP module wiring?
Did you use Pin 10 on DME X60004 plug? IF so which wire did you hook it upto? Does it just use regular Relay thats already at the back in the trunk passengerside?
Mine is also auto to manual swap. Will disabling clutch switch check in EWS module work without making a harness or grounding it?
Ive seen Kassel Performance MS45.1 to MS54 swap wiring guide. Will i have to do that too? If so what are they for? Also M3s have additional Fuses that goes to 3 different slots in fuse box how am i going to tackle them? Just add the fuses? They are prewired?

My donor 2002 m3 is MK20 dsc. Will my 04 Non-M Mk60 dsc work with MS54 DME if i match its VIN number?

Thanks.
You'll have to look up specific wiring details for your donor and recipient variants in BMW WDS. The EKP module (tall black relay) from the M3 is carried over for USDM swaps. A standard seafoam green relay can be used for Euro swaps.

Disabling the clutch switch in EWS will work for starting the car. It's actually a double "switch" (really a sensor) internally: one that registers when you start depressing the clutch pedal, and a second one that registers when you've pushed all the way down. You may get a fault code in the DME and a little weirdness when taking off from a standstill since it expects to know when you initiate a clutch in.

I haven't looked at the Kassel Performance guide, so I can't comment on that. Your fuse box will usually be half wired (power wire only) in positions that aren't normally used on your chassis. You'll need to insert a contact if you want to add a fuse to power something.

Non-M DSC Mk60 will work with the MSS54 DME. You will need to match VINs in the cluster, steering angle sensor, and the DSC module.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #745
Mr.ZHP

So when i swap over the engine. Do i have to strip the whole main harness and trace EKP wires from the M3 and swap it over to the sedan? No other easy ways to do it? Ive heard people tapping on Pin #10 and using the regular green relay but everyone is giving unclear answers. My swap is the same as yours other than my M3 donor car being pre lci. So i dont think theres alot of differences for the wiring. All stopping me is how to get fuel from back to the engine. Once i figure out the relay wiring I am going to start stripping the cars.
Also my question about the fuse box. Do i just add fuses inthe fusebox to those 3 Slots that are for M3 only? What exactly did you do with wiring in your car?

This is their guide. MS45 seems more closer wiring wise than older E46s.

Sorry for my ignorance, Thank you alot for helping!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #746
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ZHP View Post
So when i swap over the engine. Do i have to strip the whole main harness and trace EKP wires from the M3 and swap it over to the sedan? No other easy ways to do it? Ive heard people tapping on Pin #10 and using the regular green relay but everyone is giving unclear answers. My swap is the same as yours other than my M3 donor car being pre lci. So i dont think theres alot of differences for the wiring. All stopping me is how to get fuel from back to the engine. Once i figure out the relay wiring I am going to start stripping the cars.
Also my question about the fuse box. Do i just add fuses inthe fusebox to those 3 Slots that are for M3 only? What exactly did you do with wiring in your car?

This is their guide. MS45 seems more closer wiring wise than older E46s.
[IMGhttps://www.kasselperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/E46S54Wiring.png[/IMG]

Sorry for my ignorance, Thank you alot for helping!
No, you definitely shouldn't be stripping the main harness. This is a minimally invasive swap as far as wiring goes.

For fuel relay activation, there's a SW/VI colored wire that activates the fuel relay. You'll see it at your relay socket behind the glove box. The DME needs to pull that line down for MS42/MS43/MS45.1/Euro MSS54 or send a PWM signal for the black EKP variant on USDM M3s. That wire is present in the DME compartment (e-box), but is routed in a bit of a roundabout way. You really just need to get the signal from the DME to that wire. Check the 4-pin black plug for that wire. BMW WDS is the right resource to determine pin assignments and how to trace the wire. Really, it's one of the easiest to use pieces of wiring documentation, all hyperlinked so you can trace things as far as you'd like.

As far as installing the relay, if your local emissions regulations don't mind, you hook that wire up and you're done. If you do need the EKP module, you can rewire that socket behind the glove box with a black relay socket.

As for the fuse box, I didn't need to add anything. MS45.1 cars are very close to M3s in terms of wiring.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #747
Mr.ZHP

Cant thank you enough. This really helps!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #748
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
No, you definitely shouldn't be stripping the main harness. This is a minimally invasive swap as far as wiring goes.

For fuel relay activation, there's a SW/VI colored wire that activates the fuel relay. You'll see it at your relay socket behind the glove box. The DME needs to pull that line down for MS42/MS43/MS45.1/Euro MSS54 or send a PWM signal for the black EKP variant on USDM M3s. That wire is present in the DME compartment (e-box), but is routed in a bit of a roundabout way. You really just need to get the signal from the DME to that wire. Check the 4-pin black plug for that wire. BMW WDS is the right resource to determine pin assignments and how to trace the wire. Really, it's one of the easiest to use pieces of wiring documentation, all hyperlinked so you can trace things as far as you'd like.

As far as installing the relay, if your local emissions regulations don't mind, you hook that wire up and you're done. If you do need the EKP module, you can rewire that socket behind the glove box with a black relay socket.

As for the fuse box, I didn't need to add anything. MS45.1 cars are very close to M3s in terms of wiring.
I would just leave the fuel pump wiring stock. The non-M/Euro setup works fine with the US MSS54 - it won't throw errors.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #749
nextelbuddy

My Ride: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I would just leave the fuel pump wiring stock. The non-M/Euro setup works fine with the US MSS54 - it won't throw errors.
im using MSS54 DME with EWS removed and stock MSS54 engine harness plugged into my MSS45 body harnesss.

we are using the euro fuel pump output on MS54 BUT DME is still throwing a code for Fuel pump EKP since its not getting a signal. it doesnt trigger CEL but pASoft shows the dme error.

im going to have that coded out as well since PASoft shows the hex value/location.
nextelbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #750
nextelbuddy

My Ride: E36 M3
I just made a google doc that had DME pinouts for MSS54 and MS45 and compared PINouts and made sure to repin my pins to match MS54 to be sure fire correct.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
nextelbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #751
cyberkaa

Photobucket finally decided embedding is something they don't want to give away for free. I'll need to update my pics to point to my flickr.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #752
crazyxzer0

My Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
Quote:
Photobucket finally decided embedding is something they don't want to give away for free. I'll need to update my pics to point to my flickr.
They made a lot of people angry. Demise of photobucket?

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #753
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyxzer0 View Post
They made a lot of people angry. Demise of photobucket?
I bet they did. Not easy to justify free embedding from their side. It must have cost a fortune in bandwidth.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #754
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
But they've given it away forever. And if they wanted to start charging for it at say, maybe $50 or even $100 a year, I might have just paid. But they want $500/year for their entry tier that allows embedded photos. It's such a slap in the dick.

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #755
kakashi_sensi

My Ride: 01 e46 330i 6spd
gosh, i love this thread! need updated pics of the car

LEVELONE // Euro.Techniks // OEM BMW Performance Auto -> 6 Speed Complete
kakashi_sensi is offline   Reply With Quote