E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How do i prep an e46 prior to starting it up after 9 years in storage?

24K views 170 replies 71 participants last post by  Stinger9 
#1 ·
Hello fellow fanatics, would highly appreciate any suggestions on how best to prep an e46 (2000 323ci with 43,000 miles) after being in storage for 9 years?

Thanks...

#2 · (Edited)
More pictures of the barn find...

with cobwebs, molds and mildew ...currently being detailed but with no attempts to start...until i compile all your tips...

May take a few more weeks until start day leaving more than enough time to do whats best before startup.

Another good reason why anyone before me was unable to start her up is because previous owner lost all keys. So soon as my name is in the pink then i can order a key.

Until then thank you so very much to all of you who made time to post and in case you have more to add please by all means...

Miguel

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Every fluid, battery, check all the coils and spark plugs, drain tank and refill with fresh gas, pray to Jesus.
But before you start the car.
First remove the spark plugs. Also remove your air filter and inspect the ducking to the TB make sure nothing lives there or any debris. Change your oil and filter. I would at least drain the ATF check fluid and refill same amount as what went out. If no issues with ATF then you can do a transmission service later on after you drove the car. Pour a bottle cap worth of oil down the spark plug holes. Re-install same old spark plugs.Then pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for a good minute. Now your ready to start the car.

Why was it stored for so long?
^^
This

Get that mold issue resolved.....that stuff will mess you up.....

#5 ·
I'd be far more concerned with the mold than the fluids. You'd be surprised how long all that stuff lasts.

Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over till oil pressure rises (after you've decided to flush it or not). After that you should be fine to start it.

#31 ·
I'd be far more concerned with the mold than the fluids. You'd be surprised how long all that stuff lasts.

Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over till oil pressure rises (after you've decided to flush it or not). After that you should be fine to start it.
This is the best tip in this thread. Personally I'd do this after changing the oil. Check coolant levels, run the ac, and of course monitor the cooling system temps. At some point, you'll put fresh gas into it. Take a video!!!

#8 ·
I'd start with just getting it started!! (not driving) I would change the oil and if you can turn the engine over a good few times by hand to make sure nothing is seized etc drain fuel tank and use fresh stuff, then pull the fuel pump fuse and spin it up till the oil light goes out, reconnect the fuse and kick it in the guts!!.....when its running you'll have the enthusiasm to check all the other stuff ready for its first flight :thumbsup:

#13 ·
But before you start the car.
First remove the spark plugs. Also remove your air filter and inspect the ducking to the TB make sure nothing lives there or any debris. Change your oil and filter. I would at least drain the ATF check fluid and refill same amount as what went out. If no issues with ATF then you can do a transmission service later on after you drove the car.Pour a bottle cap worth of oil down the spark plug holes. Re-install same old spark plugs.Then pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for a good minute. Now your ready to start the car.

Why was it stored for so long?

#29 ·
One of the most important things I cant believe no one has mentioned is check all the wiring you can fine to make sure nothing has chewed it up and shorted it out. Starting a car with a bunch of gnarly wires can cause massive damage and potential fire.

#30 ·
and brake flush/fill at a minimum. May even want to pull the calipers and disassemble them. Brake fluid absorbs water which corrodes the **** out of everything. If 5 spd, same with clutch lines. Those things could be corroded solid.

#32 · (Edited)
Start with a new serpentine belt!

But, in all honesty > Most if not all of the rubber O-rings & seals are weakened/deteriorated. I would be very considered. You got a lot of work ahead of you.
Need to drain ALL fluids and replace Before attempting to start it.

Sub'd for more pics & VIDEO : Time capsuled E46!
Please.. with double sugar on top.

#38 ·
In for vids of epic cold start!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.