E46 Fanatics Forum banner

you actually drive your M3 in snow?!!!!!!!

98K views 262 replies 181 participants last post by  SloopJohnB 
#1 ·
i own an 03' SMG but couldnt imagine driving it the snow. With snow tires does the car even move? does it "fishtail" a lot? does anyone drive their M3 on stock 19's in the snow??? is it scarry as all hell?! i use to have a 2001 Lexus IS300 and that car was horrible in the snow...even with 16" rims and Blizzak tires. So, i could imagine the M3 being WAY worse than an IS300, since the M3 has so much more torque and larger tires.

#37 ·
I live in Delaware and we will get 1-3 snow falls ranging from 4-20 inches of snow.

With that said I do drive in the snow but try to avoid it at all costs, since I am too poor to get a snow set. I currently use my ZCPs, the car slides but its well under control since the DSC works well. Also I never drive more then 1 or so miles...

Well gl

#39 ·
hmmm, good idea...

Maybe buy two sets of M3 OEM 18s and run fronts as snow and rears as race...

But When I get the money to race this will be possible. but for now its 19 ZCPs with toyo t1s taking it slow.

#43 · (Edited)
M3 Cabrio in Winter

Yeah, I drive my 2003 M3 Cabrio all year long as well. Today we saw the single biggest snow storm yet and the M3 took to the roads with no problems at all. As long as you have four good snows, you're in good shape to enjoy the winter with your M3. I'm running a set of after market 17" M6 replica rims with 225/50R17 Hankook Ice Bear W300 tires. The set up is not staggared (which was what I intended) but they were special ordered so the offset allows the wheel to sit close to the outside of the wheel well fenders. I really have to laugh at those who think they can get away with it in trying to use four seasons.

I'm passing or keeping up with four by fours with no real issues. As long as you know how to drive in the snow, the M3 is confidence inspiring. Besides, it's fun drifting in the snow with the DSC switched off.

Before winter, I put on a coat of Klasse All-In-One. Gotta say this stuff from Germany does the job. It's very long lasting with solid protection from dirt and salt; the crap comes right off with a high pressure spray gun. I don't even need to describe the gloss finish as it's long lasting with water (and snow) sheeting action after two months. I'm pretty anal about the type of wax using everything from Zaino to professional grade stuff that you can only get if you're a shop.

I was thinking of getting a hard top but instead I treated the fabric top with Ragg Topp Roof Care. Thought that might be a more inexpensive option for now. Ragg Topp works great. Makes it easy to clean and protects the fabric roof like no other product I've tried.

One thing that does surprise me is the amount of heat this car has when set on high. Some commented that I'd be freezing my butt off with driving a cabrio in the winter with a fabric roof. On the contrary, I have to dial the heat setting down or else I'd be losing weight from the sauna like conditions the M3 can create.

I picked up my 2003 M3 black on black Cabrio earlier this spring and have pleasantly found out how well balanced this car is over four Canadian seasons. The M3 is a durable ride and not meant to be garage queen. It's enough that I have to store my Gixxer 750 sport bike over the winter.

I'd like to hear comments from others from their experiences.

#83 ·
Yeah, I drive my 2003 M3 Cabrio all year long as well. Today we saw the single biggest snow storm yet and the M3 took to the roads with no problems at all. As long as you have four good snows, you're in good shape to enjoy the winter with your M3. I'm running a set of after market 17" M6 replica rims with 225/50R17 Hankook Ice Bear W300 tires. The set up is not staggared (which was what I intended) but they were special ordered so the offset allows the wheel to sit close to the outside of the wheel well fenders. I really have to laugh at those who think they can get away with it in trying to use four seasons.

I'm passing or keeping up with four by fours with no real issues. As long as you know how to drive in the snow, the M3 is confidence inspiring. Besides, it's fun drifting in the snow with the DSC switched off.

Before winter, I put on a coat of Klasse All-In-One. Gotta say this stuff from Germany does the job. It's very long lasting with solid protection from dirt and salt; the crap comes right off with a high pressure spray gun. I don't even need to describe the gloss finish as it's long lasting with water (and snow) sheeting action after two months. I'm pretty anal about the type of wax using everything from Zaino to professional grade stuff that you can only get if you're a shop.

I was thinking of getting a hard top but instead I treated the fabric top with Ragg Topp Roof Care. Thought that might be a more inexpensive option for now. Ragg Topp works great. Makes it easy to clean and protects the fabric roof like no other product I've tried.

One thing that does surprise me is the amount of heat this car has when set on high. Some commented that I'd be freezing my butt off with driving a cabrio in the winter with a fabric roof. On the contrary, I have to dial the heat setting down or else I'd be losing weight from the sauna like conditions the M3 can create.

I picked up my 2003 M3 black on black Cabrio earlier this spring and have pleasantly found out how well balanced this car is over four Canadian seasons. The M3 is a durable ride and not meant to be garage queen. It's enough that I have to store my Gixxer 750 sport bike over the winter.

I'd like to hear comments from others from their experiences.
Well said :bow:

#44 ·
I see guys in m3's around here all the time...

all you need are a good set of snows
common sense

and maybe a few lessons from a pro

for the guys who got stuck. Are you on the right tires, or are you out there on pilot sports hoping for the best?

once the car gets going it is essentially like any other car. just dont give too much gas or steering input and be smooth with all controls.

IMO DSC works greatt. I accidentally gave a little gas over a patch of ice last yr going 65 and the car started to go sideways on the highway as i started to counter steer the car caught itself. The car reacted before I had even fully thought out what was happening.

#52 ·
I don't worry about the paint so much as the under carriage. I just don't believe you can truly get all of the crap out of all the nooks and crannies even with a good car wash with the under carriage spray. I also worry about the many panicy morons who can't drive in the snow. Some people have a hard enough time on dry pavement.

#59 ·
Get some good winter tires (in the correct size), and you are fine /thread

Seriously, I hope you guys aren't trying to drive in snow with summer tires. If your car is 'absolute garbage' then you obviously weren't using a good pair of snows, or don't know how to drive in snow. And just to compare, my friends 335i (chipped) with snow tires is a champ in the snow, and so is my ZHP, and so was my old G35 coupe, and so was my friends TT Supra, etc, etc.

#65 ·
Rain is fine, as long as the temp is more than about 45 degrees, after that, summer tires get hard and slippery.

I see you're in Cincinatti, which means some snow/ice in the winter, and I wouldn't drive an M3 on the stock PSs if you volunteered to pay my insurance and any repair costs. Just get some winter tires. You can get a whole set with rims (especially used) for less than your deductible probably is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.