E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1M views 3K replies 571 participants last post by  se93 
#1 ·
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about.
1. What do these codes actually mean?
2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#1,190 ·
i programed my blinkers to flash when i lock the car and i am having trouble with it not working. It usually never works unless it rains really hard outside and when it does work it is only for an hour or two. I do have my DWA enabled so i shouldnt be having this problem im wondering if theres a short or something? Please help !

#1,191 ·
Guys and Gals I just purchased one of these and get the IKE and EWS connection errors. I have a 2000 328i and using the 20 pin connector. I have tried two different laptops and have had the car even on a battery charger with no luck. My pinout seems different from most shown on the site.

7 and 8 are soldered and so are 4 and 5. I have nothing connected to 1 and 2.

Build date is 2011-10-21

8+7 soldered 6 individually connected and 5+4 soldered

Blurry but right to left this shows 16 15 and 14 with individual connections

#1,194 · (Edited)
jakksfor20, I got an update on USPS.com that shows my package in the Tampa sort this morning. This means I should have it tomorrow if all goes well since Tampa is only 2 hours from me if USPS moves it as scheduled.

Just in case others are wondering on the delivery:

-emailed vendor for tracking number(shipper-->sales@xcar360.com or go to bottom of their website page click "contact us")
-Hong Kong Post http://app3.hongkongpost.com/CGI/mt/enquiry.jsp
-entered tracking number and selected USA for country
-sends you to USPS.com tracking page which shows updates

October 26, 2012----Shipper processed
October 28, 2012----Processed through USPS sort facility HONG KONG
November 08, 2012--Depart USPS sort facility TAMPA FL
November 09, 2012--It arrived!!!

Getting excited:excited:

#1,195 · (Edited)
Ok...finally got car back together from CCV/OHFG/belts etc...
I have read through about 20+ pages and am still confused:hmm:.
I purchased the bmw scanner 1.4.0 from xcar360/received the cord, mini disc, and the rectangle shaped adapter that plugs into obd.
I have windows xp on laptop.

1. turned car on/first position/hooked up adapter to car to laptop
2. installed program but did not follow instructions/didnt install drivers
3. Had to go back to device manager had yellow question mark/installed drivers/right clicked installed drivers
4. it seemed like it stayed stuck in the download mode/long time
5. ctrl/alt/del and got out of everything
6. clicked on desktop icon, shows device drivers(or another ftd)are installed (green box before this) but the other item(yellow box)scanner adapter not plugged in

Do I have to get pins soldered with this item from xcar360 or should I uninstall everything and start over?

EDIT---GOT IT TO WORK.

#1,198 · (Edited)
fire730---down at the bottom of the website page there is a "contact us" link. I initially filled that out and got a response same day(time zone changes probably helped). The email came from sales@xcar360.com ////once you get your tracking number follow info I posted above. (I will go back and edit that post with the sales@xcar360.com for future viewers).

manzrik--
-I plugged adapter into car/obd port
-inserted disc
-connected cable to laptop
-turned car to position one
-new found hardware wizard popped up
-check "no, not at this time"
-directed it to automatically pull drivers from inserted disc
-it automatically loaded drivers
-then installed the .exe file from folder(stored on c drive--BMWScan140 folder)

There is a pdf file on how to load drivers in the file on c-drive in the BMWScan140 folder . Also from what I have read here; depending on your vehicle and the adapter you have; once you get it installed you may have to have key in position one or two to see your DME. I had to place mine in position two because position one only showed like 3 items when I hit scan and it did not show my DME ABS etc..

-Excellent find by djray in post#208(of this thread) that has 2 video tutorials

Good information throughout the 60 pages of this thread just have to find it...I am still searching. Good luck.

#1,199 ·
Ordered mine today. I should have paid for real shipping as the HK Post is probably not so great.
Gives me a good excuse to finally de*****ify my old XP laptop (with the super valuable 9-pin serial port). Not doing much good in BSOD mode.

This marks my very first purchase for our new e46. Yay!

#1,203 ·
I've also got the dreaded 'No coding data retrieved' error on my '04 M3 (6MT) when trying to connect to the IKE module.

Was anyone able to figure this out apart from luthers and Terraphantm?

If not, there are a few options I would like to have investigated by someone who's familiar with NCSExpert and PA Soft and has an E46 325 or 330 using PA Soft version 1.4.0.9.

My thinking is this, that PA Soft isn't doing anything that NCS Expert can't; thus, if someone could read the NCS Expert config out, save it, then make a change with PA Soft, then read out the NCS Expert config again and run a diff against it, it wouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

Is anyone game to help a fellow coding enthusiast out? :D

#1,204 · (Edited)
Can I code my '99 with halogens to xenons with aftermarket HIDs for a retrofit to get rid of the errors? I bought the error cancelers, but people say those don't always work. I've been told conflicting things when searching.

#1,206 ·
I cant seem to get the running lights or the Auto locks using PA Soft on my 2001 BMW 325i. I have gotten everything else to work except this two items. Anyone have any ideas?
Are pins 7 & 8 bridged on your scanner?

#1,207 ·
:thumbup: Finally received my scan tool today. Ordered it on 11/19 via HK post, so it took less than the month I expected. I tried loading it on my Windows 7 laptop, but could not get it to load the driver. One forum suggests holding down the F8 key during computer boot, and selecting "Disable driver signature recognition". This didn't work on my Windows 7 laptop, but it did work on my Windows Vista laptop.

It's really nice being able to know what codes are actually being thrown, and which ones are still active. :clap:

#1,218 ·
Wasted an hour of my life and I can't figure out why this thing still says the adapter isn't plugged in. Any ideas? Removed and reinstalled the program 3 times and it still tells me the same thing.

2001 325iT.

Thanks for any help.

#1,220 ·
Anyone have any ideas?? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Tried it again today and I noticed only the yellow light was working on the OBD adapter. I fiddled with the cable and the green light comes on now but it still tells me its not plugged in. What can I check? I dont have access to another Bmw and I havent really found any fixes by scanning through all these pages.

#1,223 ·
Just bought this one. Free shipping that won't take a month and only $29.

I'll try it and let you guys know if its the real deal.
Definitely update here after you get it. I can't get my xcar to work and like Steve855 said I don't want to waste anymore money shipping that freakin thing back to China.

#1,222 · (Edited)
As detailed somewhere in this long thread, back in July or August, my Xcar360 scanner quit working after having it for two days. They said send it back. So I did, on the slow boat to China. I don't remember the address but it was something like this-

145 Blvd. of Lowest Quality
Tranquil Sweatshop Garden
Fok Yu City
China

Then I ordered a slightly different one (Loftek) from Amazon. More expensive but shipped from the US and had a real return policy. It worked first try and still works today.
Fire730 messaged me recently to see if I ever got the Xcar scanner working after it came back. Here's my reply:

" I got it back from xcar weeks later. Still didn't work. Same problems as before. I'd like to try and get my money back but I just can't bring myself to waste any more time on the stupid thing. The one I got on Amazon looks almost identical, but it works fine. Plug the xcar scanner into the same laptop and it won't work. I should put it on the forums as free to a good home. Maybe some computer guy could figure it out. Sorry to give you bad news. "

If it sounds like I'm not happy with Xcrap, it's because I'm not. I guess I could have sent it back to China in September yet again to see if they could fix it. I would probably be getting it back right about now. Instead, I decided I had already wasted enough of my life on it. I'm out 35 bucks, lesson learned. I'm posting this as a follow up.

#1,224 ·
Hopefully, Fire730 doesn't mind me sharing our email conversation for the benefit of others.

Fire730 said:

"Thanks for the quick reply. Well that's my (and apparently your) bad luck. Many sold that work fine and we got a couple of paperweights.

Where did you get it on Amazon and how much was it from there? Do you have a link or a search suggestion? Not that I want to throw away more money.

Thanks for your help.

Also did it cost you money to send it back or did they pay for all the shipping?"

And I replied:

http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=SPM6389729708&sid=&psid=

"This is what I got when my Xcar clunker quit working after less than a week. I bought mine from Amazon but they now list it as no longer available. I needed it quicker than one month shipping from china (amazon shipped from KY) and I wanted to be able to return for refund if it didn't work. Thankfully I didn't need to. It seems a little better quality than Xcar but it's hard to say for sure. Maybe I just got lucky this time. It uses the same install procedure and what seems like identical software. Worked first try for me and I'm no computer wizard.

If you're thinking about sending yours back to Xcar, save the postage and just smash it with a hammer. You'll be much better off and it won't cost anything. Seriously. You know you want to. "

I forgot to mention that I paid shipping to China, they paid shipping back to me. They were very polite in their emails to me, and they did ship it back to me, but in the end they got my money and I got a scanner that won't scan.

Caveat emptor.

#1,226 ·
I've read through this and a bunch of other posts and searched but cannot seem to find...

Is there a DIY outlining a logical process for using this magical tool?
is it wise to pull and print all the codes, then reset / clear everything and see what comes back?
Or keep it as-is forever?
Is there a comprehensive list of the error codes / shadows / problems or things to be ignored?

Tj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.