E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1M views 3K replies 571 participants last post by  se93 
#1 ·
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about.
1. What do these codes actually mean?
2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay... It looks like, after a little reading, that the codes really aren't even meant to be seen. I still don't know how to erase them but as long as they aren't an issue... I don't care.

I would still love to find a PDF manual for the software though... Or at least a very thorough thread... None found yet.

#6 ·
Yup! THAT is the place I saw it for less than half the price I paid. Both are cheaper Chinese made knock-offs... The hardware is easy to make and I really don't worry about that being cheap... It is the software (hacked I'm sure) that does all the work. Mine loaded right up, connected, read codes and recoded the "windows up" feature for me.

Tres cool!

#12 · (Edited)
wasn't there a post from Tim the owner of the site saying anyone posting links to bmw's pirated software would be instantly banned? This being as BMW themselves said they would prosecute anyone involved in the theft of their I.P. and subpoena E46Fanatics for their records or something like that?? I may be wrong. :dunno:

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
Its P.A soft's fault. if they made the software more affordable this will not happen (300 or less) . they don't know how to do smart marketing. they could stop this and make a lot more money. don't get me wrong ... people who pirate anything should be punished big time. but i have to agree with ac_2007 tho. why would day put the software for free download on their site if they don't want people "Stealing it" ?

#23 ·
Should've bought then :(

Edit: Are you sure you did the free shipping for US? Because I just checked and it says "Please choose EMS or HONGKONG POST only if customers are in Russia or Belarus", And only Hongkong post seems like will give the free shipping option.

#27 ·
ya i just ordered two scan tools last week, a bmw one and a ford scan tool too that im going to use at work:) but idk why out of nowhere it dont work, cuz this morning i was browsing through their website looking at another tool to get, and i just tried to enter on their website at like 2pm and didnt work :(
i hope everything is ok cuz im still waiting for my scan tools to come in that i ordered last week.

#29 · (Edited)
As I recall seeing the open PC board that SpoonerDee put up on another forum... It looks like the PCB is just etched traces to hook up the OBD2 to the USB with a few LEDs to show signal and power.

Heck... I built one for my Porsche, etched the PCB and all... Then soldered on my own components... It definitely isn't rocket science. Just a few LEDs and a resistor or two...

#30 ·
yeah, I noticed that too - there's really nothing in there. you could make the entire thing with $10 in supplies from radioshack.. if you were so inclined!

so whatever - if the above poster thinks that making a USB to OBD connector is stealing, he can think that. doesn't make it true, or matter in the end..

#33 ·
Jeez, get over it people! If PA-Soft noticed that there was an issue with IP, than they would have sold the software and hardware for money like most companies do. Just realize that when you download software/media from somewhere other than it's original source, you are not giving the programmers/authors their credit and salary.

#37 · (Edited)
wow - if you're on the fence with xcar360.com, don't hesitate. The shipping is expensive, but that's because it arrived in.. 2 days! I've ordered stuff direct from china before and it took at least two weeks. Also, I opened it up (yes, it voids the warranty, but after shipping I may as well just buy another one), and it's built really well inside. For $32 I wasn't expecting any kind of quality but it looks well made and designed, inside and out. It read my ECU on the test bench I built just fine. I have another similar OBDII adapter and the quality isn't nearly as good.

There are some other neat products on there that I will be ordering soon as well..

oh yeah, check out what the ECU does when you don't connect anything to it but power and ground:
# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> 4F/C8 - Signal, exhaust temp. sensor
69/D8 - Signal, engine temperature, implausible
51/42 - Interface, multifunction steering wheel
76/41 - EDK: signal, potentiometer, throttle
77/41 - EDK: signal, potentiometer, servomotor
3C/42 - Signal, pedal-travel sensor 1
3D/42 - Signal, pedal-travel sensor 2
6A/41 - Signal, brake-light switch
84/44 - CAN timeout DSC
85/44 - CAN timeout, steering-angle sensor
89/44 - Valve, suction-jet pump
86/44 - CAN timeout, instrument cluster
8B/48 - Interruption, cruise-control system
2C/44 - Signal, thermal oil-level sensor
E8/84 - Function check, tank-venting system
Shadow-memory:
84/44 - CAN timeout DSC
84/44 - CAN timeout DSC
85/44 - CAN timeout, steering-angle sensor
86/44 - CAN timeout, instrument cluster
4F/C8 - Signal, exhaust temp. sensor
lol

#39 ·
I guess you can use it on compatibility mode in windows 7. Right click on .exe->run it on compatibility mode->select xp. Something like that.

I bought one off ebay for $48.00 from US seller, could not wait for shipping from china, but looks like its fast too.
I am going to use it on windows 7 64 bit running on a virtual machine on a mac. So lets see how it goes, any one who used it on this environment?

#46 ·
I think all you need for Win7 is the proper usb/serial driver. I have an XP laptop to use for this though.

anyone know - can PA Soft 1.4 synch an EWS unit to a different DME? I know BMW says you cant, but I also know that it can be done. I don't have an EWS unit to try it on but I might pick one up.

Gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong with the MSS54.. trying to read the memory, I get a lot of errors and junk data. but everything else seems to work perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.