E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1M views 3K replies 571 participants last post by  se93 
#1 ·
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about.
1. What do these codes actually mean?
2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2,366 ·
Update:

Here's all the info needed to help troubleshoot me.

I have a 32 bit windows 7 laptop

I went onto the BMW scanner website and downloaded "the demo"

My scanner was purchased from xcar360

The driver I attempted to install was from FTDICHOP.com

I did the "setup executable" and extracted flies.

I then followed instructions to set up the driver to the scanner.

After it was done, it still said the driver needed troubleshooter and didn't have the newest driver or something like that.

But I still went ahead and tried to scan my car to only get these issues Text Technology Font Electronic device Computer monitor
Computer monitor Technology Font Screen Electronic device
Text Technology Electronic device

And some pics to show what I dealt with

Text Electronics Technology Font Screen
Text Laptop Font Technology Netbook
Text Font Line Technology Parallel
Text Font Technology Electronic device Parallel

Apparently it doesn't have a driver but I followed all the steps in a DIY.

Tried to give as much as info as possible to troubleshoot me! Please and Thankyou!

#2,374 ·
More specifically, in Windows Explorer right-click on the .exe program file for BMW Scanner. I think it's called BMWScan140.exe or similar. On the popup menu, choose Properties and a window with tabs along the top will appear. On the Compatibilty tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", then select the OS to emulate - Windows XP (Service Pack 3), then click Ok. Now when you run BMW Scanner Windows will pretend it is actually XP SP3.

#2,375 · (Edited)
I got this to work on Vista as well as Windows 8.1. I just upgraded my 8.1 machine to 10 so I have not tried it on 10 to see if it still works. If I was able to make it work on 8.1 then you surely can make it work on 7.

There is a lengthy Pa Soft post on here and there are some very good directions posted on how to do this. Someone on here figured how it works on 8/8.1, followed the directions to a tee and it worked for me.

I may have saved the directions, if I can find them I'll post them.

EDIT:

Actually you have the thread link above. That is the thread I got the info from and it you go to page 4, that is where I posted how and what I did for vista and for windows 8.1.

#2,380 ·
Try the same adapter/software combination on another car with an OBDII plug.

Try a different Usb Cable.

Inspect and probe the pins on the car's OBDII plug to verify connectivity.

#2,381 ·
PA Soft scanning - VIN OK but VO empty

Hi all,

While scanning my E46 320d with bmw scanner 1.4, IKE and EWS is showing empty info about VO (ZCS parameters). Attached is the photo.
Also LCM has been donored by another car, having the VIN correctly changed to mine.

How to load my VO so all modules could be aligned having the same info?

THanks.

Attachments

#2,386 · (Edited)
The VO is stored in at least two modules. If all have been erased then possibly you will need to build the VO contents. You might start by using the VO from a similar vehicle. Not sure if this is possible since it might facilitate auto theft & potential odo rollback. Worth a shot.

Here's info on the structure of the file.

Once thing is for sure - you ain't gonna do it with PA Soft.

#2,388 ·
Yes. LCM and Cluster were changed. Cluster was changed by me one year ago. It didnt give any anomaly in functioning, but cluster was blocking me to connect to other modules via OBD. I could read just DDE. After I changed it I was able to read all modules and clear codes.

LCM also was changed and had another VIN. I dont know the reasons of the previous owner why he did it. Anyway, all i know now is that all modules share the same VIN and mileage.

#2,392 ·
hi guys,

I have a problem with re-enabling the seatbelt warning on my '01 320i .
I have bought it with the seatbelt warning turned off.
I have tried with both NCS and today with pa soft 1.4 to no extent.
with the NCS I also get an error when writing to the cluster but when I read the eeprom back it looks like it's saved.
I have enabled the seatbelt warning and the sound is set to piezo.
piezo works as it buzzes when I forget my lights on.
I have managed with pa soft to change the service interval also.. I just have no idea why this might happen and what I might do wrong when I'm programing the cluster.
any help is welcomed.
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.