E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Power Seat Retrofit w/Memory!! Pics!!

315K views 198 replies 74 participants last post by  DeeJE46 
#1 ·
Ok well I've done the heated seat retrofit and now it's time for my wite up on a power seat retrofit considering I got a great deal on some power seat frames.

Basically some tools you will need:

- Torque Wrench
- 17 mm Socket
- 16 mm open ended wrench
- 8 and 10mm sockets
- Crimping Tool
- Pliers
- Philips Head Screw Driver
- Flat Head Screw Driver
- Assortment of Torx bits/sockets
- Some extra 1 Time plastic Rivets (you can buy the cheap kind at autozone for about $1.69 for a 15 pack but they tend to break easily) I recommend the ones from the dealer they are still fairly cheap yet more durable
- Some Special BMW Contact Pins for the Fuse panel and Seat Harness connectors
- Some 12 Gauge Wiring Red, Black and 16 Gauge Red/Yellow
- 2 - 30 Amp Fuses
- And Some Patience....

Ok lets start. I'm not oing to go into great detail on how to remove the seats but if youhave any questions check out my DIY Heated Seat Thread and/or ask any questions.

The Power Seat Frames I received were not complete so I needed to transfer a coupe parts from my manual seats to them not a problem..

Step 1: Disconnect your battery and remove seats making sure to unplug the seat connector with the 17 MM socket.

Step 2: Start diassembling your manual seats removing the padding and cushioning first.

Then you can start disassembling the metal frame portions to transfer them to your power seats.

See less See more
#120 · (Edited)
I just found some leather, power, heated, lumbar seats out of ZHP that I'm going to install in my 2003 330ci with manual heated seats. To make the wiring easier, there must be somewhere close to the seats you can tap power from, then just solder in an inline fuse under both seats. Anyone know of a good power source?? I don't care about the memory, just need a power source for the seats to operate.

Other option is to just order the stock harness right from BMW. I found a diagram on realoem, but it's hard to tell if it includes everything right back to the fuse box??

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=61_1220&hg=61&fg=10

#121 · (Edited)
great help

Thank you for the detail, I now this is an old post, but I just got a driver's power sport seat, and need to retro from manual. I just had one question you gave the part number for the pin in the seat connector, but what is the part number for the socket that goes in the fuse box, if you can recall and you did this in an E30 do you have a clue if the Part numbers are the same for an E46? Thanks B

#122 ·
does anyone have a picture of where K-BUS wire gets connected?
wire from my seat to fuse box is done power works. just need the right place to connect memory wire.
if someone can post a picture of the connecting in fuse box would greatly be appreciated. i been reading this entire post still cant seem to get where the actually wire gets connected.
everything else from this post worked 100% .

#123 ·
K-bus

I don't have a picture, but the kbus can be accessed on top of the fuse box. That big plastic thing that slides on top of the box with all the red/white/orange and brown wires is the kbus. I didn't figure it out either at first, but what I did was find an open port and inserted a connecter to it. It didn't work at first but I tried a couple locations until it did. When you have the right location the red memory button lights up when you press it. Sorry not more detailed I'm no mechanic, good luck.

#126 · (Edited)
i have none sport power/memory seats in my car i got some sport manual seats, i already removed the back support as its is held by 2 bolts to frame and a quick disconnect for heated portion of it. is it possible to remove the bottom seat skin and foam without removing the seat pan??

i tried to remove the seat skin on the bottom piece but i was not able too... looks like the seat skin is attached to the pan??

also is it possible to remove the bottom portion seat warmer without cutting the wires??

#127 ·
never mind... got the seat pan removed with seat skin and foam attached... just had to remove the bolt illistrated in this article bolt #1 and the seat pan just pops up... the bracket is groved so you have to pop it from the treated hole....
http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/3_Series_E46/316i_N45_SAL/index.php?id=2295

as for the wires for heated seats it just disconnects fromt he yellow quick connector once your remove the backing off it.

#129 ·
Since its 2 in the morning, I'll save this spot for later. I'll read through the thread, but what i'm looking to do is hopefully simple.

I am dying my seats. Nothing else needs to be done, no wiring, etc. Before I dig into it, I'm just looking for a little insight how to:

1. Remove the plastic covering and what not (its gray, need to paint it black)
2. Remove the bottom leather portion that way I can dye these seats properly.

If anyone has a quick step by step process, I would be grateful. If not, I'll read up on it hopefully in this thread when I'm not so restless.

:hi:

#134 ·
I have one question about wiring. Ivegotissues said that in the fusebox there is only RED(power) wire fitted. So..that means that i must fit two RED wires into the fusebox(for driver and passenger side). But where are those wires going to get a power? If i stick them with the connector into the fuse hole there is no power..or am i wrong?? And fuse is made of two legs..i mean for one fuse there need to be two connectors in fusebox(RED as power and???

#136 ·
Thank you. One more thing.my seats are also heated..but not original BMW heating. i installed universal..but now i have one more question...where to wire a power? I mean where i can get power for heating except fusebox. From ciggarette lighter? Strong enough? It has 100W, single seat heater has 10AMPS fuse.

#137 ·
Hi there,
I'm going to get 2 front seats RHD, and would like to use them in my LHD car. They are electric with memories, so of course i'm gonna have to buy the control unit (the part with all the buttons on the external side of the seat) for my left seat. But as the right seat will have the same unit, i was wondering if i could use the memory function. It already has the buttons, and i can find the memory module on ebay, but how to not go through the GM5 ? Any leads ?
Thanks

#140 ·
help for the memorie harness

Hi right now I'm doing this retrofit I had manual seats and now I'm installind power sport seats into my car, I already threw the positive 12 gauge from the driver side to de glove box, but I am having issues umderstandig where exactly I have to plug the 16 gauge cable coming from the 15 pin , from what I umderstand the comb connectors is a place that have a lot of wires so how I do I know in whichomes I have to plug the wire? thanks!

#141 ·
Hey Guys!

I know this is an old thread but would firstly like to thank the OP and all other contributors! You've all given me the confidence to attempt this :D

Before i start i just want to make sure i've understood everything! I've drawn up my own style of wiring diagram :D can i assume this is the correct way to wire up the seats and these are the correct terminals for the connectors (seat plug, fuse bok, etc...)???

#144 ·
Hi

Great thread
Im planning to install a set of these seats into a 66 Dodge Charger. You mention the #15 wire is for memory. I have the male harness end of the connector. What do i do with the # 15 memory lead .
Im installing the convertible seats with the integrated seat belts. Do i need to connect anything else for the seat belt function.
I dont need any of the other ammenities as this is a summer only car.

#146 · (Edited)
I know this is an old thread, but this is as great collection of info. Reading through this, the major problem seems to be acquiring the seat you want, and wiring it up. I have a totaled '01 325xiT with leather heated sports seats, which I am replacing with an '02 325iT with manual seats.

After reading through this thread it looks like I can take the seats and wiring harness out of the old car, and using the old connections as a guide, install everything into my replacement car, requiring just connections to the fuse box and the K-bus. Is this correct, or am I delusional (not mutually exclusive)?