E46 Fanatics Forum banner

AFE Cold Air Intake System e46 330i Dyno Test

31K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Len013091 
#1 ·
Info on the performance of AFE Cold air intake for BMW E46 330i.

I have a 2003 BMW e46 330i with the Performance package.
This car is listed at 240 HP. (Different from regular 225HP because of it’s performance camshaft).

1) First I took my car for a benchmark DYNO run. When I noticed the HP were very low, I replaced the spark-plugs, inflate tiers and clean the air filter. Before this run the car was parked for an hour.

2) Run the DYNO Test again and obtained the same results as before. Except that the car was still hot and apparently it lowers HP output.

3) Bought and installed the AFE Cold air intake for BMW E46 330i advertised to give a 21HP boost.

Results:

Run #1 – Max Power 188 HP(at wheel @6000) = 216 HP

Run #2 – Max Power 186 HP(at wheel @6000) = 214 HP

Run #3 – Max Power 190 HP(at wheel @6000) = 219 HP (with AFE)

Conclusion:
I got a 3-4 HP boost @ all RPMs. Nowhere close to the 21HP advertised. The car sounds really nice and the consumption is almost unchanged. I don’t think it’s worth it the $450 price tag.

Can anyone tell me why my car lost all that power? The only explanation I have that it’s hard for me to prove is that the Camshaft in the engine is the regular one (225HP) and not the performance one (240HP). I bought the car coming off a lease at a car dealership. I don’t know if wear and tear could drop the HP like that over time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Searching would have shown you that a CAI does almost nothing for our cars by itself, except for sound nice.

And as far as the rated HP, I don't think theres a car on the planet that actually dynos at what its listed HP is, so no surprise there. There's just too many variables involved during a dyno run.

#3 ·
Advertised HP = crank HP
Your dyno HP = @ wheels

#4 ·
Err ... iirc the ZHP or performance package is only uprated to 231bhp not 240bhp. Where did you get that info?

#5 · (Edited)
First, it looks like your shorting yourself a bit. You can generally figure about 15% drivetrain loss so you're dyno of 188 wheel hp is more like 221 crank hp. You're also reporting peak hp at 6000 rpm which is well below red line meaning the car should have a few more hp left in it.

Second, BMW only claims 235 hp for the ZHP.

Third, are you sure you have a ZHP? It was my understanding that the ZHP was not offered in Canada. Instead, you guys got the M-Sport package which is basically the ZHP package but without the cams. I also have no concrete evidence as to what was actually offered in Canada. Where's the red line indicated on your tach?

Not surprised the intake didn't do much.

#6 · (Edited)
it's true it's only 235HP. My bad.
Wheni did the tests i was trying to take it to about 6200-6300 but that was it the HP posted is the MAX.
How can i find out if it has the Camshaft or not?
When i bught it, it said it has the Performance package...6 speeds, suspensions, inner-trims, outer trims, tiers....

#8 ·
in canada you won't have the red needles or shown increased rpm.

theres a few ways to check:

1- do you have an alcantara steering wheel, or preforated leather? zhp will have it
2. check your right tip of the exhaust, do you see a flap? if it doesn't, then its zhp.
3. get in (with a warm engine of course), and redline it. if it goes to 6800, then you got it. it will be past the shown red line of6500, more towards 7000 (max on the gauge)

#11 ·
Judging by those numbers, you have a Sport Package or ZSP. I'm betting your bumper has one large opening in the middle and flush mounted foglights to the sides, correct?

The level above the Sport Package is the High Performance Package, or ZHP. This has the extra 10 hp and different front and rear bumpers.

And a 3hp boost is just about the most people can get out of an intake.

#12 ·
Canada never got the M Performance Package until 2004. If the OP indicates he has a 2003, either the car was a US model or he doesn't have the package. Canada got two versions...the M Performance Package and the M Sport Package. The M Sport Package didn't have the extra 10 HP. The M Performance Package in Canada also lacks the red needles and the tach does not show the 6800 RPM cut off limit. I've read it's because they didn't want to produce a different version for Canada since our speedometer only shows Km/H and no MPH.

#13 · (Edited)
OP, call up your local BMW dealership and ask for someone in the service or parts dept. Give them your vehicles serial #... the last 7 of the VIN. They should be able to look up your car for you and give you the exact options that it came with from the factory.

I'd be willing to bet that since your car is from Cananda and it is a 2003, that you have a ZSP with the M-Tech II bumpers and possibly even the aluminum cube trim.

#14 ·
Info on the performance of AFE Cold air intake for BMW E46 330i.

I have a 2003 BMW e46 330i with the Performance package.
This car is listed at 240 HP. (Different from regular 225HP because of it***8217;s performance camshaft).

1) First I took my car for a benchmark DYNO run. When I noticed the HP were very low, I replaced the spark-plugs, inflate tiers and clean the air filter. Before this run the car was parked for an hour.

2) Run the DYNO Test again and obtained the same results as before. Except that the car was still hot and apparently it lowers HP output.

3) Bought and installed the AFE Cold air intake for BMW E46 330i advertised to give a 21HP boost.

Results:

Run #1 ***8211; Max Power 188 HP(at wheel @6000) = 216 HP

Run #2 ***8211; Max Power 186 HP(at wheel @6000) = 214 HP

Run #3 ***8211; Max Power 190 HP(at wheel @6000) = 219 HP (with AFE)

Conclusion:
I got a 3-4 HP boost @ all RPMs. Nowhere close to the 21HP advertised. The car sounds really nice and the consumption is almost unchanged. I don***8217;t think it***8217;s worth it the $450 price tag.

Can anyone tell me why my car lost all that power? The only explanation I have that it***8217;s hard for me to prove is that the Camshaft in the engine is the regular one (225HP) and not the performance one (240HP). I bought the car coming off a lease at a car dealership. I don***8217;t know if wear and tear could drop the HP like that over time.
Those numbers to the wheels seem pretty low. For 235hp at the crank and a 15% loss you should dyno about 200-205 at the wheels. 186-190hp sounds like you have the regular 330i or a problem with your car.

#15 ·
Same day, same temp, same dyno?

I installed an aFe and got a better improvement on my 325. And close to stock 330's (not ZHP) were pulling 200 rwhp when I dynoed.

Also yeah you're not factoring enough drivetrain loss. Divide your rwhp by .85.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.