E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Stock E46 ZHP hangs with E90 M3's at the track

20K views 60 replies 37 participants last post by  Mrk1 
#1 ·
I've only ever ridden in an E46 330CI auto, and I thought it was a very slow car. I used to always wonder how in the wonder how in the hell Car and driver used to report mid 14's for the 330CI 5 spd back in the day, as justification for it beating the G35 coupe for instance. I also always doubted the ZHP could run mid 14's stock. Well today, I have to give this freaking car some respect! Looks like with an experienced driver, it has no trouble hanging with, and beating, E90 M's at the track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzRq2QBmdTo

#7 · (Edited)
Driver skills are pretty equal, in my opinion. All 3 guys are friends, and at the start of the run, they are lined up with the Silver M3 first, Black one next and then the ZHP. All 3 have footage of the run. If you look at the silver M3 from the start, he is driving the snot outta his car, and not making any mistakes as far as I can tell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf9eBx4CG-k

He gets passed up in the second video at 2:05 by the ZHP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCojV30WOMw&feature=relmfu

Here's footage from the black M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBA3Bg5kTE

#3 ·
As can be said with most things involving man and machine, it's the driver, not the car (to an extent). Even more true on motorcycles where skill plays a greater role in how fast you can go.

#4 ·
Yeah, that M3 was either being held up or he wasn't really trying (shifting early, wrong gear, something). There's a 1.5+ second difference in the 1/4 mile alone and the suspension on the M3 kills the ZHP's. And we haven't even gotten to the brakes.

Also, that ZHP does not sound stock

#9 ·
Driver makes a huge difference. Last day I was out I passed a z06 and a 911, was barely able to overtake a zhp, and had a Honda cr-x on my ass half the time. Skill of drivers there ? Cr-x>330i>me (m coupe)> vette > 911. Obviously the cars had very little to do with that ordering.

#26 ·
Driver makes a huge difference. At Putnam Park three weeks ago, I passed a Ferrari 458 twice with my Lemons '92 Sentra SE-R.

It's all about skill, and how willing you are to take your expensive ass car to the limits. I get to drive expensive cars all the time that don't belong to me, and I never come close to a point of risking losing control since I can't afford to cut a check for the damage afterward.

#27 ·
I have a ZHP & would love to wave the flag but these guys looked to be tooling around the track & having fun. My guess is they're driving at maybe 80%. It looked like the guy in the E90 even waved the ZHP by. But I do second everyone else in saying its all driver. I've beat a local E60 M5 twice in a drag race with my ZHP. He clearly has his head in his ass.

#32 ·
No offense man, but this is all driver skill or sandbagging on the E9X M3's part. I did DE's in my old 325i and could keep up with Porsche GT2's, which makes about as much sense as this video.

Not trying to be a dick, just truthful. Nice driving and keep it up. It's a great feeling passing someone who spent a lot of money on their car(s) :)

#34 ·
This was posted on M3post. That 330 has extensive suspension and brake mods...and the driver is apparently very good.

On any long straight, a stock M3 will pull easily on a ZHP. Not just because of the power but the E9X M3 has shorter gearing in 6MT form or it will shift super fast if its a DCT. Hell, I have a supercharged 330 and I can stay with a 6MT E9X M3 on a straight, a DCT will slowly walk away everytime I shift. DCT makes a HUGE difference.

While the E46 is lighter make no mistake, the E9X platform is superior to the E46 in every performance measure. I know because I have both.

#36 · (Edited)
Here is a list of my mods for anyone that is still tuned in: http://goo.gl/sczxw

Thanks for all the compliments :)

FWIW, we were all running NT-01 tires in the vid and all of the cars (E90s included) had coilovers (ground control on the E90s and AST on mine). My ZHP by comparison to the E9Xs is way more modified in the suspension arena though (link above). The reason my ZHP doesn't sound stock is because of my intake and headers.

Passing faster cars is all about braking ;). Watch how I wait as late as possible in every turn to brake and then come as smoothly and late off the brakes as possible (often still braking at turn-in). A Porsche GT2 doesn't decelerate much faster than a ZHP but it can definitely accelerate faster; understanding this is the key to good lap times in a slow car. For anybody who thinks this has everything to do with the mods, I am running stock brakes with Performance Friction 01 pads. Most of the mods on my car are more about durability than outright speed. (this video is from 2-years ago and a few of the mods in my list weren't on the car back then)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.