E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission fails after seafoam 325xi 2004.

8K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  RECK48 
#1 ·
I had just finished seafoaming thru the vacuum line my 325xi 04 133k while i was revving the car my fan just shot a causing a dent in the hood. My car wouldnt move when i put it in d. I had my radiator leaking. The fan broke some of the hoses but i was recently told that my transmission is also shot.i feared that. I just dont understand how the seafoam caused that anybody has any ideas?
Also i found a 328 1999 for sale i was wondering if i could do a transmission swap? And maybe use some of the other parts.

#3 ·
strictly coincidental, the fact your fan grenaded had nothing to do with the seafoam treatment. The reason why your car isnt going anywhere is because the ATF leaked out, if an auto trans doesnt have enough fluid the torque converter cannot generate the power to move your car. Fix the fan, or convert to a electric fan(see KPENGs thread) and all the hoses that were damaged, top off all fluids, and your back in business.

#14 ·
Simple: You're not supposed to rev the engine while stationary. This helped your already-deteriorating fan blades explode causing pieces of the blade to puncture your transmission cooling lines. Your trans fluid leaked out thus rendering the transmission useless. If you're lucky, you may be able to repair the lines, refill the trans and go on your way. If not, then you tried driving your car without fluid and fried the transmission. Do not blame this on Seafoam.

#17 ·
Automatic transmissions run only when there is ATF in them. If there is no ATF, the gears will not engage. I'm positive if you did in fact puncture your ATF cooling lines, then just get new lines and refill the tranny and your car should move. just my .02$.

#18 ·
yeah, the trans is most likely fine, if there's no atf, there wouldn't be any motion transfer via the torque converter, so the car just stops. fix the lines, fill it up with atf and go.

#19 ·
getting my car back today. have a pretty basic idea in how to change the cooler lines. a little too basic. plus i see the hoses come with special ''quick-connect coupling". recommendations in how to make my job easier i will be making my first diy atf cooler lines and probably anything else i have to repair due to my fan-explosion. if its not already posted. help is appreciated.

#29 ·
i havent got that part yet i will start looking for it as soon as i install the transcooler after taking out the air intake, broken atf reservoir, broken expansion tank.the hoses are fine after all. the transcooler is where the leaking started.i didnt see this before because of al the fluid around it. had to cut the hoses my quick connect plugs were too much of a pain. still having problems taking out the clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.