E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Review: Callahan rotors and pads (eBay)

234K views 260 replies 53 participants last post by  jimi hazel 
#1 ·
I was looking for a cheap alternative to brakes. I came across Callahan performance drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic "quiet" brake pads.

I paid 148.00 shipped for (2) front rotors, front brake pads, and (1) wear sensor. shipping was very timely. I had them 4-5 days after I paid and that included a weekend.

The installation; could not have been easier. Hardest part was expanding the caliper so I could slide it back over the rotor. Everything fit perfectly. The pads went on easier than oem actually.

The ride; was awesome! I've only had them on for a few days but there is absolutely no squeeking like I had prior. The brakes catch so smooth. Everytime I stop for a light or sign I can stop so smooth with out any instant grabbing right before you actually stop (I dont know how to explain it)

Best of all; they look great!! The drilled and slotted rotors are shiny and look great on the car! I'll post pics if anyone is interested but I apologize for no pics prior, I wasn't planning on this review.

Final words; I highly recommend these to every and anyone and I'll be getting some for my rear brakes. Perfect replacement for oem brakes.

See less See more
#4 ·
Just wait untill the day when the rotors get really hot and heat fracture. It happens to cheap rotors from China because of the cheap alloys that they use.

Reactions: mczuberi
#20 · (Edited)
Man, I haven't watch Tommy Boy in forever. Best part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2XvxDaIwCw&feature=related

And on a more serious note:

Yeah, they're cross drilled and slotted, which is WEAKER unless it's cast that way and not drilled and slotted from a blank. These are cheap ass chinese rotors. Do you think they're cast or drilled? Hmm, my hunch is it's the latter of the two. So you have rotors that may (or hey, may not) be made of inferior metal and may (or may not, but I thoroughly doubt it) be drilled and not cast.

And this cheap ass part is the thing that makes your car stop. Call me crazy, but brakes is one of those places I don't trust cheap ass products.

#9 ·
Okay so if you see a single oem rotor for 150 on one website, and the same exact rotor for 25 on another... You'd pay 150 simply cause it cost more?

People don't trust brands like Callahan cause they haven't heard of them, which is understandable. However, you can't put them
Down just because they are priced cheaper. It's all about business. They are in fact not a popular brand so people buy from them
Less than a known brand. Due to less demand, they must have lower prices or else they would go out of business. This does not affect the quality of the product. If Callahan slowly gained respect for quality, and sales went up... You bet your ash that their prices would to.

But that's what I'm here for.. To test these silly brands for you to tell you they DO compare to oem if not better.

#8 ·
What a coincidence.. I was just looking for brakes a few minutes ago. I found a full set of blanks with pads that were the same brand. I was thinking they were too cheap, and the whole Tommy Boy reference kind of threw me off.. I personally will pay a little more for brakes, but I wish you luck. Maybe they will work fine.

#17 ·
Just because some chinese workers can pour metal into the same shape as the OE parts does not mean they meet standard. Your life depends on your cars ability to stop. Do not put your life into the hands of cheap chinese crap from eBay just to save $20. I'd like to see a picture of these parts. I bet they're OP Parts rotors and pads (literally $20/$15 on BMAparts.com) but sold on eBay with an extreme markup. Note that chinese parts are unbranded. They look great, but the truth lies underneath.

#22 ·
Chinese anything, stay away

Young guys and shills gotta reinvent the wheel.
Roll the dice and take your chances with your safety and reliability.

Wanna buy some Chinese drywall?

#27 ·
Say what you want but obviously you Guys debating this have never used such products because you're so scared they are cheap. If you haven't tried them then who are you to say wtf they are? I'm actually comparing them to oem by experience. I've used non oem eBay crap on both my e46s, including eBay brakes and have never had an issue. So u can keep paying more for the same outcome and I'll keep paying less.

#28 ·
You paid 68 cents less than what you could have paid for with Brembos and Textar (OEM) pads. You essentially just told us all that your life is worth 68 cents. BMA=$148.68 shipped.

You put on a pair of chinese eBay brakes, drove around the block, and call that a comparison?

One doesn't need to install junk on their car to know it's junk.

#30 ·
Did you even seat your new pads and rotors before this review? Any 100-0mph stop tests with measurements involved? even 80-0 or 60-0 stop speed and distance? Go find a vacant lot and get us some FACTS OP!!! Oh and how they hold up to repeated stopping and exposure to lots of heat from said stopping.

#35 ·
Best. Animation. Ever. (To explain why not to cheap out on brakes)

OH NO THERES A CLIFF AHHHHHH

#44 ·
Then you would have to apply that thinking to more than just rotors and pads. Suspension parts, wheel bearings, steering components, etc. At what point do you not go with a less expensive alternative?

Some of these things might take into consideration the type of driving you do. I don't drive my cars hard, so I am not looking for racing quality components. If you do, then perhaps the lower cost items are not for you.

DW

#47 ·
OP, I'll be curious to read how you like your brakes after you've used them awhile...and hope you'll remember to update thread periodically.

Just for comparison's sake, I put balo's and textars in all four corners maybe 4-5 years ago. 60K miles later, all I had to do was new front pads. The rotors were all above min thickness...rear pads had only halfway worn down. The front pads were down to 1.5 mm 700 miles after the pad warning light went on.

Of course, having a manual helps, but still....not too shabby. At the time I got my last pads, they were $50 or so.

And that lack of bite you feel at the end of a stop might be good for you to feel, but to me, it tells me they're not grabbing. I want that bite...that could be 10' or more shorter stopping distance. Ever since I almost ran over a cute beagle, I haven't once considered changing the brakes.

Anyway, OP, update us...let us know you're still alive periodically...and plan a little further ahead for cute animals running in front of you!

#48 ·
...and they're off!

Tampa, Mango was speaking hyperbolically is all. He knows bad components exist in the non-Mango universe, but he's afraid of traveling there out of fear he won't live to return.

I, personally, won't experiment with stuff like that...well, honestly, with almost no stuff on my car. I like my BMW as it is, which is as it was and as it will be.

Let's not ruin OP's review thread for him!

#49 · (Edited)
BTW, weren't you the one who set your own car on fire when installing angel eyes? You might want to consider who you call dumb. Just sayin ;)
BAZZINGA!!! You witty little rascal, you! I <3 you so much!

I only posted it because what you said was... well... DUMB... The AEs did not catch fire, it just melted the harness. I was being dramatic to get people to enter the thread and help out... AEs installed perfectly now lol.

Next time explain your stupidity before you bring up mine, all-powerful-and-mighty Mango...And incase you don't know what your stupidity consisted of, you said having ebay brakes is like having no brakes at all. That doesn't even make sense and could quite possibly be the only dumb thing you have ever said- I'm glad I was here to see it :)

#51 · (Edited)
So you really think that ALL four rotors are going to fail at one time??? Even TWO rotors failing at the same time would be REALLY rare.

If anything he cracks a single rotor and calls Callahan, they replace all four for free, and boom, at least another year of life for your rotors.

Again, to say "having ebay rotors is like having no rotors at all" is in fact a DUMB statement, sorry you can't live with that- I know you think you're perfect. ;)

...and sorry I thought you were Gheybe, you guys kinda act the same

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.