E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Finally got rid of code P2096..for 200 miles and now it's back

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dino71 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyway..... I've had my check engine light on for about 4 months and in the great state of New Jersey you automatically fail inspection if that light is on. So I had the infamous P2096 code which is some sort of "lean condition" so I checked for vacuum leaks and exhaust leaks and there were none to be found and still had the code:censor:!!! So today I decided to do the VANOS seals and valve cover gasket just for the sake of doing them and to make a long story short my valve cover gasket was leaking a lot on the exhaust side and quite possibly allowing air into the system?? Maybe the BMW engine gurus can verify this.

#4 · (Edited)
My GOD!!! This dam code does not want to go away. After about 200 miles of driving over the weekend the dam P2096 code came back again. Does anyone know how to figure out what the hell to do to get rid of this? Should I take it to BMW and have them scan it with their sophisticated scanners? Is there any chance that it might be the air intake gasket??? Can someone please tell me which set of cylinders are BANK 1?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.