E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW HPF full CARBON FIBER BMW E46 Hood GROUP BUY with AGRESSIVE STYLING - $1650

35K views 159 replies 60 participants last post by  Bdave 
#1 · (Edited)
HPF FULL Carbon Fiber BMW E46 Hood

We only build the best and our NEW HPF FULL CARBON FIBER BMW HOOD is no exception to that rule. Our extremely strong Carbon Fiber hood is being built by the same company that builds several of our NEW Carbon Fiber parts. For those who have received them, they will notice that they are EXTREMELY strong, EXTREMELY light, EXTREMELY thin, they fit PERFECT and the finish doesn't fade ever. They've been building extremely complex high quality carbon fiber parts for the aerospace industry for years and have also produced some remarkable hoods that I've seen that meet ALL the requirements listed below and then some. These parts have a much higher melting point as virtually no resin or fiberglass is used and they don't fade even in hotter climates with tons of sun.

The following are our requirements for the HPF BMW E46 Hood.

• It MUST work for most E46's.
  • It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
  • It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
  • It MUST be fade resistant
  • It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
  • It MUST simply bolt on without modifications

Updates are coming soon. :)

Chris.

See less See more
#46 ·
I'm in but need to see pics first

#51 ·
That's great.

#53 ·
We met with the company that is designing and building our carbon fiber hoods earlier this week. They brought a lot of great ideas. The drawings below are their conceptual ideas before they take it to CAD. I'd like to hear your freeback on these concepts below and the hood designs as I want to maximize the overall market for our hoods.

My Requirements

• It MUST be AGRESSIVE!!
  • It MUST work for most E46's.
  • It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
  • It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
  • It MUST have venting on both sides
  • It MUST be fade resistant
  • It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
  • It MUST simply bolt on without modifications
  • Vents should be less wide but more of them
  • Vents should be in a location that doesn't affect the electronics
  • Hood should seal to the rubber strip at the top of the hood that seals in the electronics.
  • HPF Should be embossed on the underside of the hood in a clean manner that is noticeable if you look but doesn't stand out

Their Ideas

• The aftermarket hoods on the market are simply a copy of the factory hood and can be better designed using the full capabilities of composites and re-designing the hood from scratch.
  • With the center section lowered and the webbing removed like it is on some aftermarket hoods, the torsional reinforcement is gone. This causes the fluttering of the hood in the back.
  • Torsion beams on the underside of the hood must tie the rear hinge points to the front hinge points. These designs are shown in the pictures below.
  • Core material should be designed into the hood to provide these torsion beams. This core material is extremely lightweight and provides extreme rigity.
  • Some hood designs below also add a structural reinforcement on top of the hood (the lip running from side to side) as well to make it extremely strong and also provide downforce.
  • Molded in vents should be produced in such a way that they are sharp and clear cut. Other aftermarket hoods have vents that have slow radiused curves into the vents which makes them look not as aggressive.
  • The sides of the hood should retain the original 4 rubber bump stops that allow the hood to lock in snugly against the body of the car.
  • The underside of the hood should be as amazing to look at as the top side. You can see separation between the top and bottom parts of the hood on many of these aftermarket hoods out there and as a result the hoods are not as strong. When the hood is designed as one composite piece you get an extremely strong hood that is very lightweight.

#55 ·
Pics 1, 2 & 8 look awesome but I think there should be two versions, one with the Center intake and one without but both with side vents.

#57 · (Edited)
Chris, it sounds like you have given this SERIOUS thought and I see why the price is set where it is. I would pay this. I think the value would be very good.

These hoods are spectacular in looks and design! They really stand out from anything that has ever been marketed up to now.

I am liking the longer shaped vents such as drawing #1. It helps give the car a less squat look. I like #3 and #6 too. I am not a big fan of any SS mesh even tough its practical. It kills the aggressive look.

You may end up offering 2 versions at least. I cant say I hate any of them except when SS mesh is involved.

But, you know, its really hard to tell with out seeing it ON the car. Can you get the artist to show these mounted on a coupe(and a convertible)? The length of the louvers give stlying cues that really need to be seen as part of a whole car so it can be put in context.

Will there be an option to purchase rain vent guards/covers for long periods of standing outside in the rainy season?

#64 ·
Because stickers

#81 · (Edited)
Too bad they let children on this forum.

jtrejo said:
i like 6 & 8
Thanks. Those are my choices as well.

PEI330Ci said:
Poor mkodama...right to the point from an engineering perspective.

Unfortunately he's right.

The area towards the very front of the hood is a low pressure area, then it transitions towards high pressure at the back. The reason why the HVAC inlet is placed where it is, is that it's a high pressure area that literally self feeds as vehicle velocity increases.

If I was going to put a vent at the center, or towards the rear of a hood, I would build a lip before the exit point to help create a low pressure area.

Oh...and to keep a hood down, so it doesn't flap around...you want to seal the back of it close to the windshield. I've seen many race cars (that have gone to great lengths to save ounces from the chassis) have a full OEM rubber strip at the base of the windshield to help keep the hood down at speed.

But...what do I know...I don't have a Doctorate in Engineering. (Heavy jab at mkodama)
Thanks for the feedback.

Chris.

#66 · (Edited)
Eww... just my opinion, but those hood vents are gaudy.

Really, you guys should get an actual engineer at your company, or at least talk to one in exchange for a few beers. Then if you were making gaudy hood vents, you could at least design them so that they suck air out of the engine bay, and don't push air back in. The E36 and E46 M3 GTRs had their hood vents in their locations for a reason.

#68 · (Edited)
Eww... just my opinion, but those hood vents are gaudy.

Really, you guys should get an actual engineer at your company, or at least talk to one in exchange for a few beers. Then if you were making gaudy hood vents, you could at least design them so that they suck air out of the engine bay, and don't push air back in. The E36 and E46 M3 GTRs had their hood vents in those locations for a reason.
Lol nice wing... Gaudy IMO. I like the last two.

#73 · (Edited)
I am not exactly a fan of vents either, but the benefits of getting all that extra air cooling the motor, coils etc can not be discounted.
If there be vents, then why not something a little more aggressive than the past?
I may change my mind totally once I see the drawing rendered better.
I would like the artist to do a better drawing of an entire CAR with some of these hoods in place. Some of the hood is not rendered that well as far as being 3 dimensional. its hard to tell what dips and what is supposed to be raised.

Chris, can we take the renderings a bit further so we can get a better notion? Thanks.

I really like the detail to construction, rigidity, fit and finish. Nicely done.
Now, who wants to buy my painted Imola hood with 3M clear vinyl bra?

#74 ·
Poor mkodama...right to the point from an engineering perspective.

Unfortunately he's right.

The area towards the very front of the hood is a low pressure area, then it transitions towards high pressure at the back. The reason why the HVAC inlet is placed where it is, is that it's a high pressure area that literally self feeds as vehicle velocity increases.

If I was going to put a vent at the center, or towards the rear of a hood, I would build a lip before the exit point to help create a low pressure area.

Oh...and to keep a hood down, so it doesn't flap around...you want to seal the back of it close to the windshield. I've seen many race cars (that have gone to great lengths to save ounces from the chassis) have a full OEM rubber strip at the base of the windshield to help keep the hood down at speed.

But...what do I know...I don't have a Doctorate in Engineering. (Heavy jab at mkodama)

#75 ·
ANy more personal attacks and off topic crap will make it harder for you to post in FI.

fair warning.

#82 ·
#6 and #8 (with out the mesh) are safe, almost classic choices. I can easily see either one of those going in to production. I would be happy with either one.

Number one is probably too radical for a mostly conservative BMW ownership we have here. Too bad. I like #1. I still would like to see it as part of a drawing on an entire car.

#84 ·
Chris, you guys need to keep the power dome untouched. Vents are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.