E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission Light Troubleshooting

8K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  vancityrealtor 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the site. I've taken a look for previous threads on this topic, but haven't found what I'm looking for...

I bought a 2004 BMWi 330i from a wholesaler, and have a few bugs to work out. Recently the transmission light started to come on. I read in the owner's manual that "if the light comes on, and you shut the car off for 15 seconds with the parking brake on, and the light goes off when you re-start the vehicle, the transmission will operate as normal. If the light stays on then it will only operate in 3rd & 4th in safe mode."

I noticed the light comes on when the car is in 'park' while the car is running, (like when I warm the car up in the morning.) It also happened today while the car was in neutral going through the auto-car wash.

Every time I restart the car and put the car in gear the light stays off. I've driven over 500kms since I bought the car and the light hasn't come on while in gear. It seems to operate normally, although I do notice a pronounced shift into low gear when coming to a stop, especially when cold.

One other thing I notice is a faint moaning sound or humming while at cruising speed and the rpm's are between 1200-1400. If you let off the gas or step on the gas to change the rpms the sound goes away.

My mechanic is away for 2 weeks. I don't know the code. Any idea what this might be? From the reading I've done on this site and other blogs, I think it might be low on trans. fluid, but I'm new to BMW's.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.