E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Fix - You did the NAV retrofit but the wheel sensor read 0

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TerraPhantm 
#1 · (Edited)
I did the Navigation retrofit (without the retrofit loom) last month. I bought the wiring harness out of a 2005 M3 coupe and put it into my 2004 ZHP Coupe.

That part of the procedure is well documented on the net so I won't mention it here.

Unfortunately I noticed that while my navigation system was functioning, it was skipping a little. By skipping I mean that as I was driving, it wasn't smooth.

So, after getting into the secret menu and doing a sensor check (goto settings, then press and hold the menu button for 10 seconds until a new menu appears, then select sensor check), the Wheel Sensor always read 0.

Turns out that you need to run a speed sensor wire from the black instrument cluster plug, all the way to the trunk and plug it into the violet connector on the MK4 (or earlier) unit. :ben:

**First disconnect the battery. **

:D What you can do instead is disconnect the HK amp connector and find the two little clips on the side of this connector, that allow you to take the connector apart. Then do the same for the violet plug that goes in the nav computer.

Now you will notice that on the gray piece of the amp plug, pin 20 has a black wire with a white stripe. Press in the little metal clip to remove this wire from the plug and then connect a new piece of wire to it, and push it back into the connector.

Take the other end of this new wire and do the same to pin 10 on the purple violet connector.

Plug in everything, mount the nav computer back where it belongs, then plug the battery in. The gps computer must be securely mounted before you plug the battery back in or your GYRO will be mis-calibrated.

Viola.. your gps system will now read the vehicle speed properly and will be buttery smooth while driving.

Sorry for the all text DIY, but I literally just completed this and wanted to share, but didn't take any pictures.

:hi:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.