E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission, differential and transfer case fluid

20K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MoneySauce 
#1 ·
Hi, guys,

I am thinking to change Transmission, differential and transfer case fluid.
I called BMW dealer for the correct fluid and I hear that I can use castrol dexron VI for my transmission. However, for differential (1 liter for front and 2.5 liter for rear)and transfer case, he told me the fluids are only see in BMW dealer shop.

1. I would like to ask you whether you have any experience with castrol dexron VI (9 quarts) in your auto transmission.

And, after searching, I found a lot of people using Red line 75W-90 for their differential and Redline D4 ATF for their transfer case.
2. The dealer told me that front and rear differential fluids are different. However, can I use Red line 75W-90 for both differential?

3. Can I use Redline D4 ATF for my transfer case?

I already spent a lot of time, however, it is difficult to find a consensus.
I appreciate any comments about my questions.

See less See more
#6 ·
2. The dealer told me that front and rear differential fluids are different.
Whoa. Really? That's interesting.

I use Redline 75w-90 in my diffs and D4ATF in my TC and MT.

I had a front diff for sale, and I was shocked how many people with automatics contacted me after their front diffs failed. I asked a tech from TMS and he confirmed that they leak, and they will fail obviously. He said they usually leak around the INPUT seal.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi, guys,
2. The dealer told me that front and rear differential fluids are different. However, can I use Red line 75W-90 for both differential?
Dealer is a misinformed crackpot. The OEM fill for both the front and rear diffs on the E46 XI was SAF-XO fluid. But why should the dealer really know? BMW says its a Lifetime fluid fill. :rolleyes:

1 -- Dexron VI is perfect for the GM tranny. I used Castrol Import Multi vehichle when I did mine. But that was before the BMW part number for the fluid was superceded by a Dexron VI product. Next change will be Castrol Dexron VI. Oh and you will not need 9 Qts. You will only drain and fill between 5-6 qts. Get 7 to be safe.

2 -- Redline 75-90 in the diffs is fine. That is what I used. 2qts

3 -- Redline MTL in the Transfer Case is what I used. My research found that MTL matches the OEM fill (MTF-LT1) spec closer than the Redline D4 did. 1qt will be more than enough. You will use 1/3 max.

#9 ·
hi, GDoop,
Would you let me know one more thing?
When you change your transmission fluid, did you also change filter for it?
I wonder wheter changing filter need more quarts of fluid.
And, if I just change fluid not filter, is it a bad idea?
Have a good day.

#11 ·
Yes that was with dropping the pan and changing the filter. (betweeen 5-6qts used)

Just changing the fluid would be a half measure. Why bother then? Would you want to change your engine oil without changing the oil filter? Probably not. Spend the extra 20-30 minutes and drop the pan, clean it, and swap the filter for a new one. Then in 5-10 thousand miles if you want do a drain/refil to get more of the old fluid out of there.

Oops,

sorry I tried to type GCoop, not GDoop
No worries

#12 · (Edited)
I have about half a bottle of OEM #83220397244 x-drive TC fluid left over from the E83 2004 X3 I just sold, and was wondering what you guys think if I use this in my "new" E46 2002 330xi?

I also have half a bottle of Redline MTL fluid left, and 1/4 bottle of Royal Purple Synchromax.

The TC's between the xi and x-drive are different of course.

Which is the best for the xi TC within the above fluids?

#13 · (Edited)
<SNIP>
3 -- Redline MTL in the Transfer Case is what I used. My research found that MTL matches the OEM fill (MTF-LT1) spec closer than the Redline D4 did. 1qt will be more than enough. You will use 1/3 max.
X3 TCs use a chain E46 XI TCs use gears. That is why the OE fill for the NV124 was MT fluid.
There you go :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.