E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
ewcmr2

My Ride: Many
E46 Touring>E36 M3>E46 Sedan...

My wife informed me that she liked "my" '97 M3 more than "her" '04 325i and she was "inheriting" the E36. I said that was okay as long as I could get a touring and do an M3 swap.
Bought this Sport/Premium/Xenon/Hk 2003 with 220k for cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	656814

Fixed/replaced a bunch of Little stuff; washer pump, fuel door catch, turn signal bulbs, CCV. Tan interior is in good shape but needs scrubbed. TireRack has Continental DW's en route.

CCV replacement stopped the idle and low power/rpm smoke but car still smokes horribly after a full throttle blast. Too much blow-by at WOT pressurizing crankcase and pushing oil back through CCV? I'll have to do a compression/leak down test. It would be nice to be able to drive the car until I source a wrecked M3.

Last edited by ewcmr2; 06-17-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Picture
ewcmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
ewcmr2

Compression was OK, 155-175psi, cold & dry. Leakdown 6-10%, again, cold & dry.

Yesterday, seeing reasonable numbers I drove it a couple miles down to the store, no smoke. Coming home, up hill all the way (800' elevation gain) it started to smoke again but not nearly as bad as before CCV replacement.
Today, drove it 40 miles on the freeway with little to no smoke except after long periods of significant throttle/load.

At this point I'm quite sure the previous owner continued to drive it with the bad CCV and the remaining smoke is coming from oil in the exhaust burning off. When I got home after shutting the car off there was a "boiling" sound coming from the tailpipe.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
18rabbit

My Ride: '02 330it
Wow, tan interior on a titan silver car... I didn't know they made those. Is it possible someone swapped out a nice black or gray interior?
18rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
ewcmr2

Possibly, I don't know the cars history at all. If someone did a swap they did it all...
My favorite E46 interior is the Saddle brown with Black. I'll probably swap out the worn tan bits with black eventually.

Currently replacing intake cam sensor and pulling exhaust to pour oil out of it. The seam of the muffler has oil (stains) seeping out of it!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Holy blow by Batman!
On a positive note, at least you know it won't be rusted out!

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #6
breakfast

My Ride: bmw
my touring is nice and all but it doesnt hold a candle to my e36m. lets not get carried away here :p

your wife is a smart lady.

Last edited by breakfast; 06-21-2017 at 11:11 PM.
breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 AM   #7
ewcmr2

Yep, wife is smart.

Some of the smoke was coming off the exhaust manifold so I replaced valve cover gasket today.

For the first couple of years the E46 sedan had the ZF automatic and we called it the rental -an appliance to get from A to B. I swapped in a manual and it was much better but the rental name stuck.

Me: "your throttle pedal is broken"
Wife "what do you mean?"
Me "step on the gas and nothing happens! Bwahahaa"
Wife "your key is broken"
Me. "Huh?"
Wife "no button to push, no memory seat/mirrors :p"

This M54/auto Touring is painfully slow. Hopefully the S54 conversion will liven it up enough that I'll want to keep it. The touring is big enough that the kids/dogs will fit for ride to grandpa/grandpas house, which is way better than un hitching the Dodge dually.

Last edited by ewcmr2; 06-22-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:40 AM   #8
Gizmo330iT

My Ride: '93 328i '05 330iT
Coming from someone who swaps M54B30 motors with 6spd boxes into tourings I can honestly say the S54 is going to liven her up and then some!
Gizmo330iT is offline   Reply With Quote