E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New SP Project

117K views 814 replies 80 participants last post by  323tom 
#1 · (Edited)
Well we are going to start dis-assembly on Tom's BMW tomorrow but we wanted to get a dyno of what the car is making now. The car has an HPF Stg 2 kit on it running 7.4 psi at Peak HP.

Soon it will have a SP built 10-1 motor, 76 billet turbo with quick spool valve, ProEFI on E85, SP exhaust cutout, larger HPF intercooler, 4" downpipe and a few other goodies!! We are shooting for 1000 RWHP !!

See less See more
#546 ·
So it's been 3-4 weeks since I drove the car (shitty weather/working like a mad man) anyways just tried to drive my car but noticed I had a flat rear tire and battery is dead :banghead: so I boosted the car and filled the tire with air and brought the car over to my buddy at tire co and we found what at first looked like a bullet but after we pulled it out we noticed it was a valve stem :rofl: the puncture was almost to bit to repair in my 335/30/18 r888 that would have been a bummer if I had to replace it... Anyway the car is going back to SP for the cold season very soon I'm headed to Chicago next week :excited:

So far these are the following mods I know I will be doing...

- SP QSV hopefully this time there's no problems :)
- custom sound performance tubular manifold
- os giken TCD diff ( suppose to be Better than the super lock version )
- up the NOS shot from 120 hp to 200
- hyperco helper spring for my front tc Kline as they can't go any lower currently
- BMW performance cf strut bar for some under the hood eye candy
- rear trunk reinforcement something similar to what 02PRUV in Australia has ( this will be done at Fall line Motorsport )
- corner balance at Fall line
- I'm having crazy thoughts about going from my 7675 precision to the 8285 but I'm scared it will be wayy to laggy

And I'm sure there will be more :facepalm:

#548 ·
So it's been 3-4 weeks since I drove the car (shitty weather/working like a mad man) anyways just tried to drive my car but noticed I had a flat rear tire and battery is dead :banghead: so I boosted the car and filled the tire with air and brought the car over to my buddy at tire co and we found what at first looked like a bullet but after we pulled it out we noticed it was a valve stem :rofl: the puncture was almost to bit to repair in my 335/30/18 r888 that would have been a bummer if I had to replace it... Anyway the car is going back to SP for the cold season very soon I'm headed to Chicago next week :excited:

So far these are the following mods I know I will be doing...

- SP QSV hopefully this time there's no problems :)
- custom sound performance tubular manifold
- os giken TCD diff ( suppose to be Better than the super lock version )
- up the NOS shot from 120 hp to 200
- hyperco helper spring for my front tc Kline as they can't go any lower currently
- BMW performance cf strut bar for some under the hood eye candy
- rear trunk reinforcement something similar to what 02PRUV in Australia has ( this will be done at Fall line Motorsport )
- corner balance at Fall line
- I'm having crazy thoughts about going from my 7675 precision to the 8285 but I'm scared it will be wayy to laggy

And I'm sure there will be more :facepalm:
What are your power goals? I would agree w. you on the "laggy" response of the 8285... unless of course, you up the anty on the NOS :read:

#551 · (Edited)
Your car would be a great mile and 1/2 mile Monster. Do you have any plans to enter such events?

A general comment on the QSV installation on the E46 M3. I recall that in order to physically fit, the actuator ARM must be cut and re welded at a different angle in order to clear obstacles in the engine bay. Are there any other mods?
I do know several shops deemed the QSV installation to be impossible with the E46 M3 for a long time.

I am so pleased that this has been dis proven. I would like to see the QSV to become more commonplace in the E46 M3 so it's installation and use can be perfected.

The QSV is something that is just so great to have. I find it difficult to resist. I would like to see a few more successful installations and some modicum of standardization.

Who knows? Maybe a whole modified QSV with new actuator arm might become available right off the shelf or at least a special order item, Is this possible, Larry?

Has anyone estimated the total conversion cost? It is probably at least 3k or more I would imagine. You have the 500 dollar unit plus mods, twin scroll turbo housing, and extensive labor costs. Other hidden costs?

#554 · (Edited)
Yes, I know this. You and one other. Two total in the world as far as I know.

I emailed Larry about some things. Mostly about the QSV.
I was wondering if he would consider offering as a special order a pre modified QSV to fit an E-46 M3 engine bay using the Steed Speed (a lot of them out there I think) mani.

Or at least a tutorial on where to cut and re weld the actuator arm. Are there any other mods needed?

I am trying to get a handle on the TOTAL cost of adding a QSV, modify it, add a twin scroll turbo housing, labor etc...3k to 4k?
I know its not going to be cheap. This is likely the main reason guys are not lined up around the block waiting to get QSV's.
I dont see any down side except cost.

It sounds like Larry has QC under control. I want one. Eventually. Next year maybe.

Somebody should come out with a conversion kit with a full set of instructions. I realize that each size turbo takes different housing sizes.
Other wise, all else would be the same for each conversion.

It is just a shame that a bottom mount turbo on an M3 is ridiculously labor intensive to work on. I know at least one shop that prefers just to remove the entire motor to work on/swap out the turbo rather than struggle with incredible tight spaces.

#553 ·
The QSV will work, we had it working. I just had an issue with one run of QSVs that our machinist did and the clearances were too tight causing them to bind when they got hot. Tom's just happened to be one of them and unlike a supra where you can get the turbo and QSV off in 30 min, its a major job on the BMW!

#578 ·
update... Os giken TCD diff being installed, spoke with them about setting it up differently then stock as I know Marcus and a couple of other hpf guys have the super lock version and had to tweak the factory settings, apparently not needed with the TCD version which is what all the high hp new skylines and other big boys are using ;)

as for the FSR tubular manifold I have somewhat bad news, it will not work with a QSV as the wastegate does not attach to the manifold, its modified onto the turbo...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.