E46 Fanatics Forum banner

oil change for 2002 325i

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Falkor 
#1 ·
just wanna know how much oil u guys r putting in when changing with filter. i know the book says 6.9 quarts.

should i buy the oil from the dealer 5w30, the manual says only use bmw brand or buy mobil1 5w30.

i have one more free oil change left. i want to know if i use mobil1 now, will make any difference when i get the next oil change by dealer.

thanks

#2 ·
I put in 7 full quarts. It's a little (1/8") over the full mark when I do. If you change your own oil be sure you change the filter first, or at least at the same time as dumping the old oil from the pan. Otherwise wyou will leave a quart of dirty oil in the engine.

I am a believer of Mobil1 (been using it almost 20 years). No problem in doind your own between free maintanance changes (I did it). I have been using 5-30 Mobil1, but technically the 0-40 weight that is officially approved for BMW. THe factoy castrol tends to leave a red/brown film over everything (like bottom of oil filler cap). When I used Mobil1, it cleaned most of that up.

#5 ·
I put in 7 full quarts. It's a little (1/8") over the full mark when I do. If you change your own oil be sure you change the filter first, or at least at the same time as dumping the old oil from the pan. Otherwise wyou will leave a quart of dirty oil in the engine.

I am a believer of Mobil1 (been using it almost 20 years). No problem in doind your own between free maintanance changes (I did it). I have been using 5-30 Mobil1, but technically the 0-40 weight that is officially approved for BMW. THe
factoy castrol tends to leave a red/brown film over everything (like bottom of oil filler cap). When I used Mobil1, it cleaned most of that up.

great info kbsilver... thank you.
i just bought an 02 325ci and found the oil cap red/brown and hope that it's it.. as I also interrogated the PO and he stated he always used castrol...I became skeptical in the fact he also added it's ok to use any ole oil, as his mom does too, and I just hope he actually stuck with synthetic...

doing my first oil change tonight, just got home with it, and also going to do the water pump too.

#4 ·
i used mobil 1 ow40. that's what the experts here recommend, btw i did this last saturday. :thumbup:

#10 ·
I realised it, but in all honesty this thread nailed it (and it was also the top 3 hits from the ole-googlie...

I just got this car and there's a million things wrong, but I'm fixing them methodically and the oil cap was red/brown and i though "this is a cooked engine" but it wiped off like frosting off a cake, and the cap is clean again...

at least I know where the red/brown is from and that my pessimistic fears of the engine weren't necessary...
so I'm using Mobile 1 5-30 and wonder (also, hey a new question for a new thread i suppose but while I got your attention)
- have you used (should i use) the "hi-mileage" type oil (it's @ 185,000miles).

and thanks all
I will post a new thread on the car soon (currently repairing this one and building an e30m3 too)..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.