E46 Fanatics Forum banner

To Part Out or Not?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  zander271 
#1 ·
2000 323iT Sport Wagon with 287,000 miles with blown head gasket.....
Sport Pkg, Moonroof, dual powerseats, Harmon Kardon.
$4000+ to repair. Love this car which still looks and drives great. 18" M-Techniq wheels 5000 on new tires, aftermarket iPod connect.

I can't see investing this much to keep this thing running. I drive 100 miles round trip everyday to work. Should I part it out? I wouldn't feel right trading it in or selling to an individual with the gasket situation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
Head gasket job does not cost 4k. I would ask around and get more quotes.

But if that is the price I would part out since the value of the car being a 323 and that mileage is almost nothing. Btw, you may never know but someone maybe would want to buy it outright as is. Doesn't hurt to try both.

#5 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that it's also a manual Trans - even more rare. The cost for the gasket is $1800 labor plus parts but the mechanic also recommends water pump and new pulleys and lots of seals while they're in there. Oil pan gasket is also leaking (another $700) and needs a rear differential bushing of some sort (waiting for detailed list from the mechanic later this morning. The good news I guess is that the bolts in the block are not stripped and the head is not cracked.

#6 · (Edited)
I once had this grand plan of parting out two early 80's MB S classes. Without a doubt, it was the biggest PITA endeavor I ever undertook. I finally sold one intact and had the other hauled off after selling the high dollar parts (seat motors, hvac.) Plus, you have a dissembled car in your driveway, which becomes a huge eyesore.

If you still like the car, I would urge you to fix it. I haven't priced replacing a head gasket, but your quote seems high, especially if your current head is ok. I would have the belts, pulleys, thermostat and water pump while the mechanic is in there. The other things can be put off until later. Get it back on the road ASAP.

#7 ·
Another option from mechanic is to put a used motor in it for about $6300. It would have around 100k miles. They would include oil pan gasket, rebuilding Vanos, all new seals, entirely new cooling system, pulleys, etc - also a new clutch (the clutch is original 287k), thermostats, and it would have a warranty...
I just don't know what to do. The motor option seems like it would extend the life of the car and give me more peace of mind vs fix existing head gasket.

#8 ·
I certainly wouldn't spend $6.3K on a motor, when you can get a newer, entire 325iT in good shape for that kind of money. That's about what I spent on my wagon almost five years ago.

There are more mechanically-minded folks who will buy cars with blown head gaskets & fix them up, so it's not an ethical issue selling such a car provided the condition is fully disclosed. Get what you can for your wagon, and move on, or find an indy that will do the work at a more reasonable price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.