E46 Fanatics Forum banner

headers + cat back vs cat back only SOUND

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  cyrus xox 
#1 · (Edited)
Getting cat back this weekend and then headers ceramic coated next weekend was just wondering how my exhaust note will change from performance cat and then adding headers, do headers change the note at all ? Ty

#8 ·
Performance is irrelevant really. If youre getting headers, thats already the most gains out of an exhaust possible. The sound, well thats purely personal choice. Depends what volume you want really. The best ideas are a prefabricated system. These have been developed for our cars and generally have the best sounds. Sure a great exhaust can still be custom made, but you have to do your research on mufflers and resonators. Im not the person to talk to about that haha, sorry.

#10 · (Edited)
If you go straight pipe with catless headers you will be heard from 5 miles away with lots if rasp. I currently have a 2.5 inch dual straight pipe. Just simply removed both resonators and the muffler and welded in pipe. I do have stock headers. Its raspy and quite loud. There are some videos of people having catless headers on the stock exhaust which is noticeably louder and raspier. I would say at least a muffler would be recommended.

#14 ·
catless headers with stock system sounds quiet at idle but growls when you floor it, its not too loud but its noticable that you done something to the exhaust. raspy over 4k rpm

catless headers with Resnator still attached and muffler delete is louder than civic on the street, very raspy and it seems i loss abit of low end torque

catless headers with no resnator and no muffler (straight pipe) is stupid. i did it for fun and it was loud as fk! you can hear me literally 2 miles away. i had to roll my car out of my street sometimes because it was too loud, or drive in a high gear for a lower rpm. also a lot of "poping/backfire" due to no restiction

catless headers straight pipe to MAngalfow 14815 (current setup)...its noticable loud, you can hear me ripping hard if you're on the same block but not too loud. raspy over 4k almost sounding like an exotic ferarri.

please wear headphones...

here's a start up video
http://tinypic.com/r/2s1m4xg/8

reving up to 7k, you can hear the backfire when i drop the rpm...sounds sexy! ignore the black smoke, car is running on fuel stablizer and techron and fuel injector cleaner :)
http://tinypic.com/r/2cofl7p/8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.