E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How to start racing, Karts the way to go?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mpower619 
#1 ·
I went to Indy a couple (few?) weeks ago and now I want to go racing. I've autocrossed a few times and done very well. However, I want to get on a track and race other drivers wheel-to-wheel (I'll do a driving school or two as well) and can't afford a separate race car.

It seems to me that Karting would be the least costly and easiest way to try racing and see how it goes. In the past I've jumped into things without researching first so I thought I'd get some opinions this time around.

What do you all think? Is Karting the best way to try racing or am I missing something better?

Thanks,

Yeti

#2 · (Edited)
A buddy just picked up one of these to get into karting:
http://www.easykart.com/
It's a spec kart and race series meant to keep costs low and competition tight. Find your local kart tracks to see what sort of events they host and if there is a spec kart series that you can get into.

Also:
http://www.ekartingnews.com/

Ed

EDIT: The Shumacher family owns a kart track in Germany. Michael and Ralf grew up in karts. I think it's safe to say that karting is a good place to start.

#3 ·
Karts are also pretty expensive as well. My friends and I were looking into it last year. The tires are $100+ each. Engine rebuild on almost once every year. Brake pads and rotors cost about the same as cars. The only difference is the space and initial investment. That's about it.

I agree. If you want to go open wheel. Kart is the way to go. If you are looking for touring cars, I suggest you start with Spec series. Like Spec Miata or Spec Neon.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I was wondering about Miataspec. I like the idea of racing a "full size" car but . . . I know the intial outlay might be a bit more but after that I don't know. I've seen a few ads for ready to race karts for around $3,500 which doesn't sound like that much all things considered. Either way I'm going to have to get a new helmet, etc.

#5 ·
YetiX said:
I was wondering about Miataspec. I like the idea of racing a "full size" car but . . . I know the intial outlay might be a bit more but after that I don't know. I've seen a few ads for ready to race karts for around $3,500 which doesn't sound like that much all things considered. Either way I'm going to have to get a new helmet, etc.

Spec Miata is probably the cheapest way to get into "full size" racing. It also probably has the lowest per event cost thanks to spec tires and the inherent miserly nature of the Miata. It is easy on gas and brakes and the bone yards are full of junked Miatas if you need sheetmetal or hard parts.

Kerting will cost you even less if you get into a spec or sealed motor class. Brakes and tires are much cheaper. Also you don't need a full size truck to tow a kart. I easily tow a 1500lb loaded enclose trailer with my E30.

Ed

#6 ·
YetiX Im also from San Diego PM me if you want to talk about racing. I do many track events anywhere from 2 to 3 events a month so I have lots to say if you are really into it. Go-Karting is definitely a good stepping stone, and I went through them myself. Im off to Willow springs this weekend so Im definitely not available this weekend. Good luck... :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.