10K views 107 replies 25 participants last post by  sprintman 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks.
and searching, all I mainly read is "use the oil you want"
Which doesn't seem helpful? lol

Walmart has Moile 1 that I believe is a good choice
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-40-1qt/17034373

Would it be better to run 0w40 instead of 30?
Car has 146k miles if that helps.

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30

I beleive 0w30 is not good for high mileage cars.

Answered me before I asked the question. Thanks you!
This what you referring to?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-5qt/17034372

#20 ·
check for the local deals in auto zone/advanced auto/oriely's/pepboys.....
You will usually get 5 quarts for around $30 on either of the following with a filter. Not all of them carry filter for our cars though, so I just get filter for my other car or for someone I know.

I was using mobil1 0w40.
Then switched to castrol edge 0w30.
Castrol edge 5w40 is also LL01 approved.

Do not use the oil that is not LL01 spec.

PS: Local Autozone had 5 qt castrol edge 0w30 for $30 a couple of weeks ago when I bought it and pep boys had it for $27 for 5 qts 2 months ago.

You just need to search for a deal, you will get it cheaper than walmart.

#24 ·
Decided i'm going to do my own oil change, and want to stick to Castrol, or maybe Mobile1.

What i'm reading is an oil that is "spec" would be castrol 0w30 Euro formula?
and that something like this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-Edge-with-Syntec-Power-Technology-5W30-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17253569
wouldn't be ideal?

I'm learning here so... :p
Find a manual for your particular model and refer to the oil specs therein. Go with that. Whathave you got? Year and model.

#27 · (Edited)
Just an update.

LAdy at autozone price matched walmarts M1 0w40 for me. Walmart didn't have it. So picked up 8Q for 60$
Did the oil change today, was really easy.

When I originally bought the car a few months ago, I was having all the leaks fixed and had non synth valvoline put in. idk what weight.
Car feels much smoother after the change.

So quick question. I put in 7Q and checked the dip stick, it was at the "low" mark. So I ran the engine, checked it, and let it cool then checked it again, was still low. I ended up putting 7.6Q in to get it to the "full" mark.
Seems odd?
I let the car drain for a while, and leveled it after it stopped dripping to get some more out.

#29 · (Edited)
Okay fine I'll do it, someone has to.

Ahem:

You are using the wrong oil. Only BMW oil is to be used for oil changes. BMW LL-01 oil is only for topping up only, BMW does not recommend using them for a full oil change. You should only use Castrol for topping up, because BMW recommends Castrol.

Mobil 1 0w40 has smaller molecules than Castrol and it leaks through gaskets. I've verified this because I had leaks when I topped up using Mobil 1. You should only use Castrol for topping off.*

*These are things GoingNuts has actually said

#37 ·
I have used castrol gtx full synthetic 5w30 for as long as I have had the car and so did the previous owner (all the service records were kept in the glove box) and I am yet to have a malfunction oil related. I also own a shop and we use that for all cars requiring synthetic

Dedication

#40 · (Edited)
I use Shell Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic. All of my friends use this oil as well in their BMW's. Shell Rotella is a great oil and can be picked up for half the price of other synthetic oil when purchased at menards or walmart

In addition to me, here is a bimmerforums review thread for T6
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488700

#51 ·
I took an impromptu break from this forum and didn't necessarily miss it all that much.

My oil light stayed on after I shut the car off yesterday. Oil level is fine and the sensor was replaced with OE exactly 1 year ago.

#52 ·
I think that means you're a bit low. Just low enough to trip the sensor, but not necessarily dangerously low. At what point exactly did you check the oil? The dipstick is calibrated to show the correct level 5 min after shutdown (you probably know this but just throwing it out there).

It's that or the sensor is already dead?? :confused:

#59 ·
I third the T6. Great oil for half the price and meets/exceeds BMW specs IIRC.

sprintman, do you remember the specs on the top of your head for this oil?

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

#67 · (Edited)
Mango, my dear. We meet again. Just wanted to share the oil I've been using for all the BMW's I've owned. You said my Penzoil 5-30 wasn't up to spec in the other thread.

http://pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum-full-synthetic-motor-oil/#Specifications
Pennzoil Platinum® Euro Ultra 5W-30 meets API SH/CF, ACEA A3/B4, MB-Approval 229.5, BMW LL-01, and VW 502 00/505 00/503.01

Check again, brother, under specs. Just about $8/qt and I stand by it.

#68 ·
That is Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. Regular Pennzoil 5w-30 doesn't meet the specs.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

#72 ·
I stopped reading Sprintman and his oil opinions here years ago...once I understood there were rules that he's written about maybe 10,000 times now, I didn't need to read him again.

M1 5w/30 users...search my thread on this...one of my early ones...and one of the reasons why I now hate oil threads like everyone else!

You can trust Sprintman on oil...and me too...use LL-01 or acea a3/b3 it's not that complicated...though it can be if you get into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.