E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New GM5 weird window issue

8K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  chen.nijmegen 
#1 ·
Just installed a new GM5 module. I lost the ability to use my keless entry, wipers, and windows a couple of days ago. I had to lock and open my car with my key which was no issue, but the windows and wipers seemed like a safety hazard. Put in new GM5 today and everything works except certain windows. Even managed to code the bilking lights unlock and unlock features without having the alarm. My front passenger window will work perfectly, but all others won't. Is this a coding issue I should take to the dealership to have my new GM5 re-coded? I'm also starting to think that my window switches might be going out like my central locking/hazards on the center console I replaced last moth and causing this issue:hmm:

cliff notes
-Keless, wipers, windows didn't work
-New GM5
-After install wipers and locks work
-Only front passenger window will open and close

#5 ·
I have EXACTLY same problem here with a newly installed GM5:
Only front passenger window can be control. Driver window totally NOT.
Rear windows can be controlled by switch on the door, but NOT center switch around shift knob.

And I can use my key remote to move down and up all windows by keep pressing lock/unlock button on the key.

Any idea how to solve this?

#6 ·
I have EXACTLY same problem here with a newly installed GM5:
Only front passenger window can be control. Driver window totally NOT.
Rear windows can be controlled by switch on the door, but NOT center switch around shift knob.

And I can use my key remote to move down and up all windows by keep pressing lock/unlock button on the key.

Any idea how to solve this?
You can not just pop in any old used GM5 in a car and expect it to work correctly. It is best to repair whatever is wrong with the cars original general module because you know that its coded to your car. Some BMW dealers won't do it, but, you can ask your local dealer if they can code the module to your car properly. Modules are not all the same and there are some features that may not work due to hardware compatible your car.

#9 ·
I managed to solder flying wires to connect relays on original board. Now it is fully functional. But I would like to use it only for testing, since this is definitely not automotive qualified solder.

With my original GM5, I can control all windows without any problem.

And with new GM5, I can use remote to open/close all windows by pressing buttons on remote.

So I think hardware should be ok.

Any ideas?

#10 ·
Let me summarize the problem:

With original GM5 (not reliable, but still working): everything works as it should
HW1.0 SW1.0

With 2nd hand ebay GM5:
HW3.2 SW4.5 (Checked on realoem it is compatible, and latest GM5)
Center control around shift knob:
Driver window (both up/down) NOT working;
Rear left and rear right windows (both up/down) NOT working;
Front passenger window (both up/down) working -- Only window can be controlled by center control.

Rear left and rear right window can be controlled by door window control as they should.

With remote control: ALL windows can go down / up by holding unlock / lock.

#11 ·
For the record, problem has been solved.

I purchased a BMW DCAN cable from ebay and recoded the GM5 to factory setting and now everything work as the original GM5.

The suspicion is that the GM5 module was made 2009, much later than E46. So from other cars, which might has different control protocol.

So as scottjoh said, GM5 must be coded to your car before using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.