E46 Fanatics Forum banner

OEM M3 PARTS ON NON-M - modding guide

853K views 961 replies 382 participants last post by  m3jala 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since a lot of threads pop up about fitting OEM M3 parts on Non-M cars, I figured we might as well have a thread that explains everything. This will be a list, hopefully including part numbers, of everything you'll need to fit OEM M3 parts on a Non-M.

---

Front Bumper:

Difficulty: 4/10
DIY: Maybe.
Installation:
- Coupe: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=40
- Sedan: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=41
Part Numbers:
- Re-Bar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_3229&hg=51&fg=15
- Bumper: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_4781&hg=51&fg=15

This will fit on okay, but will need some tinkering to fit flush with the stock non-m fenders. Without modification, the bumper sits about an inch and a half forward and the sides flare out an inch or so; on a sedan, it's a slightly bigger gap. To fix this, some people opt for the OEM CF reinforcement bar and stretch the sides in a little bit, while others simply shave down the stock bar to allow the bumper to sit farther back.

Safe Alternatives:
- OEM Mtech2 front bumper (available at your local BMW dealership)
- M3/ CSL replica bumper (available through many of the sponsors here at e46)

---

Front Fenders:

Difficulty: 5/10
DIY: If you're looking to save money, then a DIY would be nice.
Part Numbers:
FRONT LEFT 41357894337 $281.23
FRONT RIGHT 41357894338 $281.23

The OEM M3 Fenders will fit on nicely, but will be wider than the stock coupe front bumper. An M3-fitment front will fit perfectly flush with these.

Safe Alternatives:
- Racing Dynamics Tornado

---

Hood:

DIY: Absolutely.
DOES NOT FIT SEDAN!
Part Number:
HOOD 41617894223 $558.00

Minor fender modification is needed for 100% fit. Most people do this by simply spacing the fenders out by using washers.

Safe Alternatives (for coupes/verts ONLY):
- Carbon Fiber (available from many aftermarket companies)
- Vorsteiner GTR
- Hartge-Style

---

Mirrors:

Difficulty: 2/10 (coupe/vert), 4/10 (sedan/wagon)
DIY: Yes.
Installation:
- Coupe: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=6
- Sedan:
... Assembly: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=27
... Base Plate Modification: http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=E46M3MIR
Part Numbers:
RIGHT PRIMED EL.EXTER.HEATABLE MIRROR 51167893468 $232.13
LEFT PRIMED EL.EXTERIOR HEATABLE MIRROR 51167893597 $232.13
ACTUATOR LEFT 51167895273 $169.63
ACTUATOR RIGHT 51167895274 $169.63
MIRROR GLASS HEATED PLANE LEFT 51167157247 $46.59
ADAPTER LEAD, MIRROR HEATING 51167836442 $6.58
MIRROR GLASS HEATED CONVEX RIGHT 51167157244 $58.31

On coupes and convertibles, they're a direct bolt on. For sedans and wagons, the bases have to be modified slightly.

Safe Alternatives:
- M3 Replica Mirrors (M5-look) (available through sponsors)
- Hammann/Hagus (available through sponsors)
- AC-Schnitzer (available through sponsors)
- e36 M3-style (available on ebay)
- Hartge

---

Side Skirts:

Difficulty: 2/10

Direct bolt on. No modifications needed. On sedans and tourings, the skirts will be a couple millimeters too long. No biggie though...

Safe Alternatives:
- Hammann GTR
- Hammann Competition
- OEM Mtech2
- AC-Schnitzer
- OEM Aero Kit (a.k.a. 'Mtech1')

---

Rear Quarter Panels/Fenders:

Difficulty: 9/10
DIY: NO!
Heavy modifications are needed for these to work. In short, a body shop will need to cut your existing quarter panels to smithereens and weld the M3 ones into place. This will require many hours of labor and lots and lots of money. This process is also irreversible. Only do this if you're absolutely certain that your pocket can take the hit.

(Not-so-safe) Alternatives:
- Custom widebody

---

Rear Bumper:

Difficulty: 6/10
DIY: Probably not.
Part Numbers:
- Re-Bar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_3306&hg=51&fg=15
- Bumper: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_4219&hg=51&fg=15

This has only been tried a handfull of times, but this mod is usually accompanied by a widebody. Since there's such a difference between M and non-M rear fenders, this bumper is a good inch or two too wide. To fit this correctly, you'll either need to do some hardcore molding and reshaping of the bumper, or a custom widebody in the rear. If you can deal with the bumper flexing and creating numerous noticeable gaps, then I guess you could do it without modifying anything (and only stretching the sides of the bumper in). Again, this mod isn't highly recommended unless you're serious about modifying your car.

Safe Alternatives:
- Hammann GTR
- Mtech2
- OEM Aero Kit (a.k.a. Mtech1)
- Various rear addons

---

Trunk (including CSL trunks):

Difficulty: 3/10
DOES NOT FIT SEDAN!
Part Numbers:
- M SPOILER REAR, PRIMED 51717893671 $139.50
- TRUNK LID 41627065260 $430.78

Some people (for whatever reason) want OEM trunks on their cars. The trunks are the exact same dimensions for M and non-M cars, therefore this is a direct bolt-on. No biggie.

Safe Alternatives:
- M3 Trunk Lip (yes, it fits fine)
- CSL Replica Trunks (Vorsteiner)
- CSL Addons (eh)
- Bimmain CSL-Style Addons (very nice looking IMO)
- ACS 3-Piece Race Wing
- ACS 3-Piece Trunk Spoiler
- ACS 1-Piece Trunk Spoiler

---

Muffler:
DIY: No. (leave it to any reputable muffler shop)

Despite what many people think, this mod isn't very hard to do. Here's what you'll need to do:
- Either cut the spare tire well ($100ish) or get an OEM M3 one put on ($150ish) in order to allow room for the muffler box.
- Get a new rear bumper to accomodate the sexy, center-exiting, quad tailpipes.
- Go to a muffler shop and have them weld it on. Just the welding and bracketry shouldn't cost more than $100 in total.

Safe Alternatives:
- Custom quad exhausts
- Remus/Eisenmann quad exhausts

---

Wheels/Tires:

DIY: Sure.

To get a set of four to fit, you will need to do some hardcore fender rolling and buy some smaller tires. To ensure proper fitment and to avoid a headache, I'd probably just find a set of four front wheels. These will fit just fine with no rubbing or modifications or anything.

Safe Alternatives:
- Anything :)

---

Gauges/Instrument Cluster:

Difficulty: ?/10
DIY: ?
Part Number: INSTRUMENTS COMBINATION UNCODED MPH 62117837972 $504.43

This has not been successfully done yet. People have plugged these in, and here are the results:

WORKS 100%:
- MPH
- RPM
- OnBoard Computer Functions
- Lights
- Indicators
- Engine Temp.
- Gas Info

DOES NOT WORK:
- Oil Temp. Needle
- RPM Warmup Lights
- Little orange ODO Tamper Light comes on...which is bad

This is a DIRECT PLUG AND PLAY, but will not work 100%. You be the judge...

Safe Alternatives:
- Bimmian M3-Style Gauges
- UUC Whiteface Gauges
- Silver Gauge Rings w/ Red Sharpie'd Needles

---

Steering Wheel:

Difficulty: 3/10
DIY: Yes
Part Number: M SPORTS STEER.-WHEEL, AIRBAG, LEATHER, BICOLOR 32348022322 $700.29

As long as you have the round airbag, this will be a direct bolt-on. The airbag, horn, radio buttons, cruise control, and everything else will work. Yay!!

---

More to be added later....

---

See less See more
#48 ·
Hi mate, i will be doing the OEM M3 bumper mod.

Would like to know if the foam bit is needed from the M3 bumper or can i use the one on my 330? :hmm:

#57 ·
Hey Alec, Thanks alot for this thread and to whoever stickied it. This is exactly what I'll need for my E46 (looking for a '99-01 E46 to try my hand at a primarily aesthetics based ride)

Joe

#58 ·
Front Fenders:

Difficulty: 5/10
DIY: If you're looking to save money, then a DIY would be nice.
Part Numbers:
FRONT LEFT 41357894337 $281.23
FRONT RIGHT 41357894338 $281.23

The OEM M3 Fenders will fit on nicely, but will be wider than the stock coupe front bumper. An M3-fitment front will fit perfectly flush with these.
What exactly is meant by an "M3-fitment front"?

I have a 2001 330Ci Conv and I want the wider M3 fenders. I don't really want to go to the M3 bumper nor the M3 hood unless I absolutely have to. Any details on how I can made the M3 fenders fit on a non-M3 of my year?

#63 ·
Most people get these parts secondhand and at low cost from friends who have replaced them on their M3... others just prefer the look of the M3 over all of the aftermarket alternatives. I made this thread to essentially save on labor costs - so people know what to expect when doing these conversions.

#65 ·
You'll probably need to tweak the fenders a little bit inward, but yeah basically. There will be no welding or cutting or anything required in order to fit them, probably just about 10mins of tweaking (per side) to get the fenders and hood to line up perfect.. everything is bolt on (assuming you have all the proper m3 bumper bracketry and stuff).

It might look kinda strange though without the m3 hood. :dunno:

#69 ·
because most people get parts secondhand off of their friends for dirt cheap... others can't afford the insurance for an M3 (like me). there are plenty of reasons why people do this, i'm sure only about 1% of the people who have M3 parts on their car have them to look like an M3. for example, IMO the M3 side skirts and mirrors are lightyears ahead of their aftermarket alternatives.

#70 ·
Just a quick check, is there a difference between the 330ci coupes and the 325's between '01-'03 and how big of a tire can you get on the fronts and backs?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

#72 ·
There are no significant differences besides the engine (duh.) The biggest tires you can get on the car without major fender modifications is probably 245f 255r, but it really all depends on the width and offset of the wheel. With the right offset, fender modification, and a good set of tires, you can fit 275's in the rear. If you're dropped, the camber increases slightly and it might even be possible to go 285/30/19 in the rear (although nobody has done it yet.)

Honestly though, there are way too many factors that go into it... it depends 100% on your car, wheels, drop, fender mods, brand of tires, and more. For example, on my car with my 19's, I rub every so often with 235's in the rear.

#75 ·
---

Side Skirts:

Difficulty: 2/10

Direct bolt on. No modifications needed. On sedans and tourings, the skirts will be a couple millimeters too long. No biggie though...

Safe Alternatives:
- Hammann GTR
- Hammann Competition
- OEM Mtech2
- AC-Schnitzer
- OEM Aero Kit (a.k.a. 'Mtech1')

---
Nice thread, I just wanted to chime in. Isn't also longer on coupes?

I've read that you can slide them back by elongating the mounting holes in the skirt.

Ron

#83 · (Edited)
Since a lot of threads pop up about fitting OEM M3 parts on Non-M cars, I figured we might as well have a thread that explains everything. This will be a list, hopefully including part numbers, of everything you'll need to fit OEM M3 parts on a Non-M.

---

Mirrors:

Difficulty: 2/10 (coupe/vert), 4/10 (sedan/wagon)
Installation:
- Coupe: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=6
- Sedan:
... Assembly: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=27
... Base Plate Modification: http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=E46M3MIR
Part Numbers:
RIGHT PRIMED EL.EXTER.HEATABLE MIRROR 51167893468 $232.13
LEFT PRIMED EL.EXTERIOR HEATABLE MIRROR 51167893597 $232.13
ACTUATOR LEFT 51167895273 $169.63
ACTUATOR RIGHT 51167895274 $169.63
MIRROR GLASS HEATED PLANE LEFT 51167157247 $46.59
MIRROR GLASS HEATED CONVEX RIGHT 51167157244 $58.31

On coupes and convertibles, they're a direct bolt on. For sedans and wagons, the bases have to be modified slightly.

Safe Alternatives:
- M3 Replica Mirrors (M5-look) (available through sponsors)
- Hammann/Hagus (available through sponsors)
- AC-Schnitzer (available through sponsors)
- e36 M3-style (available on ebay)
- Hartge

---
Doing the mirrors in the next few weeks on an '06 vert. Just wanted to add that you don't need to buy the actuators because they come included within the Right 51167893468 mirror and
LEFT 51167893597 mirror housings. So this saves about $340. If all goes well my total cost will be $520 shipped and painted.

#89 ·
LOL...dont be an @$$, its a simple statement. When you take M parts and put them on a non M car, you're imitating the M... and like i said its the highest form of flattery.

FYI, RG4s may *look* like CSL/ZCP rims, however they are better made, lighter weight, more aggressive offsets, and allow wider tires. Am I "imitating" a CSL with my wheels, bootlid, and diffuser? You bet. Do I attempt to claim its a CSL? No way. I love the way the CSL looks and have had the pleasure of driving one while stationed in Europe. But they are ECE market only therefore all we can get is the parts.

you guys get your panties in a wad WAAY to easily. Almost like you've got a chip on your shoulder. YOU DONT. WE ALL DRIVE BMWs, and they're all the "ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINES". So chill out.

#95 ·
Hood:

DIY: Absolutely.
DOES NOT FIT SEDAN!
Part Number:
HOOD 41617894223 $558.00

Minor fender modification is needed for 100% fit. Most people do this by simply spacing the fenders out by using washers.

Safe Alternatives (for coupes/verts ONLY):
- Carbon Fiber (available from many aftermarket companies)
- Vorsteiner GTR
- Hartge-Style

---
does anyone have a DIY link for this? or more detailed instructions on fitment?

#103 ·
Anyone know how much work is involved to make an M3 limited slip differential in a E46 330?:thumbsup:
a lot. whole rear carrier, diff, etc

#101 ·
#104 ·
See sticky thread #2 at the top of this general forum
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426625
"THE OFFICIAL: How to fit OEM M3 Parts on a Non-M Thread.. "
I wouldn't attempt it, but I'm not particularly adventurous. my 2c.
That thread is useless for DIY installs. It only gives a quick general overview what might fit. People have been answering questions with a link to that thread lately which does nothing to answer in any detail the question people are asking.
It's been done, but not really a DIY, cutting the spare tire well and fitting the M3 muffler is something you probably don't want to do. One of the members in NY with a silver coupe did it, but seems expensive. Euro-Spec is coming out with a replica rear M3 bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.