E46 Fanatics Forum banner

BMW E46 3 Series Airbag Recall! How to make appointments and get serviced

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  bmwbob89 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Irvine BMW (in Orange County, CA) has the passenger airbags in stock, but the driver's airbags are 10 weeks out. Gonna call Crevier, Riverside, and a few others to see if it's the same deal.

#7 ·
I have mine scheduled for 2/26/18. Can anyone who has had the service done chime in on a couple things:

Will this get rid of my airbag light? I have had it deleted with a scanning tool, but it came back a couple hundred miles later.

Do they really replace/fix the seat belts? My passenger side does not work anymore, and I was planning to do it myself, but this would be so much better.

#8 ·
After doing the job, they probably clear the codes but the airbag module for our cars checks for any errors right after the codes are cleared. So if you have a faulty airbag, the system will detect it and your light will turn on. They do not fix or replace the seatbelts. The seatbelts aren't even the problem, it's the passenger side occupancy mat that goes bad in the seat. Most people buy a bypass off of eBay. If that's your only fault, clearing the airbag errors will leave the light off. If you have other faults, the airbag system won't give errors for the occupancy sensor but for whatever other fault there is

#12 ·
That's the BMW location I use...
What's funny is I live in seattle, and my bimmer was originally purchased at the Fairfax BMW. I still have the stainless steel BMW key jewelry that says Fairfax BMW on it lol
That is correct. Your airbag light probably came on 300 miles later because that's when the fault occurred
Ok, either way hopefully they take care of it once and for all. If not, it will be on my low priority list and I will get around to it eventually.

#13 · (Edited)
Last year in december, i got a letter from BMW Belgium for a replacement of my airbag, when i went for a small refill for motor oil, they replace the airbag instantly. It's a world wide recall, because the japanese company that manufactured the airbags have some flaws. (pieces of metal that can be dangerous if the airbag explode with an accident) BTW..The airbag on the passengers side is for the same reason replaced in 2016

#16 ·
Question for those that have done this recall. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have been receiving the driver airbag recall notices nonstop for my 330xi. The problem is the car currently sits unregistered and not inspected. It's going to take some significant time and money to get it road worthy (which I'm working towards anyways).

The only dealer for my state is located 150 miles away from me currently. I doubt BMW will pay for a flatbed to bring my 330Xi project car there and back (but who knows really). Does anyone know if you bring in the airbag yourself if they'll exchange it?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.