E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2003 325i keeps stalling

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  montezuma96 
#1 · (Edited)
I texted a relative this which explains the issue.

Hey thanks for replacing the alternator but a few things since then. The yellow oil light comes on after i shut the car off. The oil level looks fine, i actually think theres too much but i havent added any.

If i accelerate too fast and the rpms go over ~4k then the car stalls and the yellow brake light will come on and the yellow triangle with an arrow going around it comes on too. When this happens and i try to brake, it doesnt want to come to a complete stop it keeps doing a stop and go motion until i put it in park and shut it off. When i put it in park i hear a loud clicking like the car wants to keep driving but it cant..since its in park. When i start it works fine until i try to accelerate over ~4k again.

Ive read that it could be the camshaft position sensor or maf sensor or a couple other things but those with the symptoms sounds like it. Its not a big issue i just dont accelerate fast and its fine. Well let me know what you think, i could go over there or you can come Over here when possible. Whatever works for you. Thanks

This was about a week ago now the car stalls more often on hills, when i brake hard, when i accelerate, and just randomly. I can brake completely when this happens now and the car will stop but continue jerking forward until i shut it off. When this happens the eml, yellow brake light, and triangle with the arrow shows up. I will check codes soon but what do yall think? Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah it was the MAF sensor. Car is due for an oil change soon but runs great. No SES or anything. 100+ on the highway way smoother and faster than before. As soon as the MAF sensor was replaced and we started the car it didnt backfire, sputter, smell like oil, gear symbol was gone, everything. FLAWLESS! Never knew it would cause so many issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.