E46 Fanatics Forum banner

The air bags are in, the air bags are in!!

3K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Swiff 
#1 ·
They finally have drivers air bags here in the northeast. Just had mine replaced today. I now feel safe having my wife drive the car.

#5 ·
I've never really liked into the recall to be honest...I'm assuming it's free? I Should call Wagner bmw of Shrewsbury on Monday and see if they have the airbags

#10 ·
Thanks! Much Appreciated!

#11 ·
I'm sure I could call the dealer and they will tell me no parts yet for this. No idea how they decide who will get what and when. Last I heard of it was 9 months ago with the recall letter, and with the way this whole clusterfvck has proceeded I'm going to assume my car will be retired to the scrapyard before the driver's side airbag gets replaced.

#18 ·
Why are they supposed to provide you with a rental car if they don't have the airbags to perform the recall? Would the rental car be at their cost or mine? I just can't see the dealer giving me a rental for free if they didn't have the airbags. That would pretty cool I'd they did though.

#19 ·
It was a big hubbub issue back when the recall was announced. Almost every manufacturer was paying dealerships to rent out cars to people with affected recalls on BMWs dime.

You can probably still get one if you ask the dealer first, then call corporate Americas BMW.

The thing is, it's cheaper and easier for them to just bump you up to priority airbag list than to get you a rental car. If you google around you can find more details. But once for my 330ci, and once each for 2 friend's, we got our airbags within a week of calling and asking for a rental (this is after already being on the regular airbag list for months).

#20 ·
Good to know, I'll probably ask for one when i call just to get then moving on the airbag.

#25 ·
I didn't get a loaner, just hung around - there are worse places to kill 3 hours. They had a blue M2 identical to the one Jeremy loved so much on Grand Tour. After looking closely at the 2-Series (had my 4-year-old with me so didn't test drive anything) it looks like a reasonable modern replacement for an e46 coupe. Refreshingly clean layout (except for that awful little screen that sits on top of the dash & looks like some cheap $99 Best-Buy add-on; all the new cars seem to have this) and if the reports are to be believed a real drivers' car nothing like the bloated over-cushy f30.

#26 ·
Didn't know how much I liked my car till it was gone. Although the 320i x-drive was slightly more comfortable to sit in, it was automatic (not my preference). The features were great to play with but I found myself getting distracted a lot at first because I was still trying to figure out how to use it. It was larger in body size for sure and gives more leg and head room. The radio only shows stations that has a signal. The turning radius also seemed larger. The surround sound was awesome after I fine tuned it a click to be more rear biased as I am @6'2" the front speakers were heard more and that's the reason for my biasing a little more towards the rear (Had to do the same with my own car). The push button start is a nice feature. I had to laugh at myself because I had the keys in my pocket when I thought I put it in the center console while driving. Spent @10 minutes looking all around the car for it. Also left foot was like :hi: looking for clutch pedal. There were no real differences for me daily driving around the street in the sport or economy mode because I don't drive that aggressive for the features to take effect. Granted this is one of the lower end cars in their stable it would be a good buy.
Once I sat in my own car again I felt like I just came home from a long trip. New cars are always a pleasure to drive because well they are new. It was an overall good experience, but there's no place like home!! New drivers and passengers airbag in and new Roundel BMW face on the steering wheel. Car washed courtesy of Freeport BMW/Mini. Picked up the extra key that I ordered and 2 exhaust after cat gaskets. Good to go. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.