E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Why Is it so slow

8K views 78 replies 24 participants last post by  TRANC3 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a manual 323i I've never really cared about speed and always focused my mods at suspension or the way my car looks. Anyway today me and my dad made a bet about my cars 0-100kmh-60mph.
BMW and other guys in this forum say my car should be able to do it somewhere between 7.5-7.8 seconds with the modifications I've done to my car 4.46 diff and a cold air intake I was expecting to be around 7.2 seconds.

The times ended up being 8.86 and 10.47 seconds to reach the speed anyone got a idea of what's wrong

Plz don't tell me to buy a m3 or a 330 or remind me that the 323i is **** I understand I don't have a fast car but can't figure out why it's so slow either

#5 ·
If you're really interested in all of this WHP stuff, give it a baseline dyno. This way when you move forward with your proposed F/I you'll know what increases you've made. It's always good to have a baseline dyno...

Rob43

I've put a small hold on the supercharger because I might be buying a m3 in a few months if that ends up happening I'll be waiting until may for supercharger

#6 · (Edited)
Yah cars just got under 90,000miles my uncle purchased it new in 1999 but kept it in a garage driven less then 600 miles per year until 2005 then he got married and let his wife drive it she drive it like a old lady probably never revved it over 5000 until I got it

The only possibility I think that might have stopped me from reaching the 0-60 time slower are the
2 people in car

Had the traction control turned on
3.46 diff
Original clutch- learned to drive manual with
I'm not a bad manual driver but I would be accepting to blame half a second on my driving

#10 ·
Hahahah if it did I would get myself a 330 but my cars subframe has had a documented BMW subframe repair and I'm considering a Maison subframe x brace

#28 · (Edited)
Maintenance and Environment are your answers.

To give you an example, my daily driver is a 5-speed 325i.
I'd go as far as saying it is better maintained than 95% of other E46 non-Ms I've come across.

My friend has a oil chugging 5-speed 330i, and I can keep up with him to 100km/h.
After that, I'm sure his extra 0.5L displacement would take over on the top end.

The point I'm trying to make is this - I've driven many of the "same" model cars, with greatly varying results on suspension feel, responsiveness, and power. Our cars are well over a decade old, with the E46 platform itself approaching its two decade anniversary.

The way each car was maintained between the time it rolled off the production line, to today, will make a world of difference.

Maintenance and operation-wise, look at the following:
- Get new NGK branded spark plugs
- Install a clean fuel filter
- Clean that MAF
- 91 octane gasoline only (96 RON for you aussies)
- Use the correct weight and quantity of oil
- Ensure no exhaust leaks or clogged cats
- Replace pre-cat O2 sensors if older than 100k KM
- Ensure proper tire inflation

And if you're running any wheel size above 17", don't be surprised you're slower.

Now when I was referring to environment - doesn't AUS get quite hot? You are currently experiencing summer.
The M54 engine hates humidity and heat. Comparative to a cool dry morning (10 C, for example), it will drive like a pig in the summer months.

#29 ·
-Spark plugs were changed less then 10,000km ago
-I clean my air filter every second week AFE stage 1 dry filter
-I only use 98 octane premium fuel
-oil was changed less then 5000km- only the best mobile 1 Synthetic
Fuel filter and pump were replaced 20,000km ago
I monitor my tires weekly - wheels are OEM style 135 m sport
Don't think our cars have o2 seniors and my car has a cat delete
I have a 3.46 differential

Who knows my car is way to slow for what or is I have around $10,000 in maintenance receipts for the past 50,000km I'm just ready disappointed in its performance considering a 318 manual might beat me

#34 · (Edited)
How often do you drag race cars so slow you could win? Enjoy the suspension for what it is in the mountains, or a track day.

If you figure that car manufacturers horse power numbers are unrealistic after the engine is regulated and pumped with less than ideal fuels outside of testing. 0-60 numbers aren't always accurate, and you aren't a race car driver in a 15 year old car.

#37 ·
I don't drag race much at all I've done it twice against other e46's I'm just testing my 0-60 time against BMW time of 7.5 for a manual 323i I was expecting to match it or do better with the modifications I have

Also my cars has been run with 98 octane full it's entire life I know that because it's been in my family since I was born

#35 ·
With n/a i think you will find changing gears before its red lining will actually give you a second. I have raced numerous cars on a drag strip here in Perth and after almost hitting the top end on each change I realised the last few 100 rpms had no gain, so I changed earlier. Granted this wasn't in an e46, but I bet it will help. Revving sounds better haha, but it actually works against you if you hold it too long.

#39 ·
It's running continental sport tires that were replaced less then 15k ago I definitely don't have cheep tires on my car

Yah I worry about the subframe 24/7 makes me think twice about getting a e46 m3 my car has the structural epoxy in its subframe it was added when it was repaired by BMW when car had warranty

Also I'm probably going to be ordering 2 subframe x braces for my 323i and m3 if I end up buying one this week

#40 ·
With unknown mileage on your O2 sensors, your engine may be running less than optimally.
You definitely have them, lol.

Put on some 16" wheels for fun. You car will come alive.
The Style 135's are some of the heaviest wheels for the E46.

Another thing I can add is to experiment with the gasoline you use.
There are some stations here (ESSO, for example) that I avoid like the plague - even their "premium" gasoline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.