E46 Fanatics Forum banner

need advice for wiring

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Paul W @ BSW 
#1 ·
hi guys, i have a mono block amp 800x2ohms, 500x4ohms, and subs with dual 4ohms voice coils. My question is whats the best way to wire this setup (parrallel = 4ohms total impedence probably right?)? What if i was just to hook it up using one of the two voice coils of each sub and wire it up in parrallel for 2ohms total at 800rms, is that even safe?

#3 ·
How many subs do you have? If you have 2 subs and each sub has dual voice coils then by running them all in parallel you will get a 1 ohm load, if your amplifier is only 2 ohm stable and not 1 ohm stable I would not recommend this.

You can easily get 4 ohm load by running the dual voice coils on the sub in series and then paralleling the two subs at the amplifier/ sub enclosure terminal (if you only have one terminal cup for the enclosure).

You can't get 2 dvc (4 ohms per vc) subs to run at a mono 2 ohm load, only at a 1 or 4 ohm. I would not use just one voice coil on a dvc subwoofer as it isn't designed to run that way and you could damage the sub.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

#5 ·
Well you could only run a dual voice coil sub as a single voice coil sub, but if leave the second voice coil an open circuit the sub's Q will greatly increase and the sub will become very thumpy and peaky without much control.

If you close the second voice coil (connect its positive to its negative) then you will make the sub controlled again, but you will lose some of its power handling as it will lose some of the copper surface area on the voice coil to dissipate heat with.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

#7 ·
Closing the second voice coil (connecting the positive + and negative - together) will sound better.

#10 ·
This is a good safe recommendation, the only draw back is that you get about half of your amplifier's potential. I was trying to recommend a way to get full power from the amplifier at a nominal 2 ohm mono load. But the way you suggested would be the way I would personally run my system if I was in the same boat. The bass output in this configuration will just depend on how efficient the subwoofers are. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.