E46 Fanatics Forum banner

*Official* Muffler Delete Sound Clip / Discussion Thread

270K views 892 replies 255 participants last post by  GrandpaPrune 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK, I have gotten dozens of pms over the last couple months regarding the muffler delete and "how does it sound...". So, I figured I would just take a few vids under different circumstances so you could get a decent representation how it sounds and hopefully, settle some of the confusion.

The car has the OEM headers, the OEM intake, both OEM resonators, and no muffler... just piping out the back to tips. Also has a vorsteiner dual sided hood if that makes any difference (maybe it's lighter so has less sound dampening :dunno: )

Anyways, here you go. I figured doing it at night would be best as you could see the speedometer and RPMs best.:

Windows Up short Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dul0P_TSHzY

Windows Up Longer Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMseR-ePhWU

Windows DOWN driving through a neighborhood at slow speeds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgDdUThYnY

Windows down extensive driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkjOPMk1olw

Muffler delete drive bys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI

Let me know if i can do anything else to help :hi:

Please feel free to contribute to the thread if you have other vids that you think would be helpful to others :hi:

See less See more
#2 ·
:rofl:
Within minutes, got this:
blackbimmer22 said:
Hey sounds great but can I ask you how you ran straight pipes to do a quad exhaust?
So, a bit more details....

Again, the car has the OEM headers, OEM intake, both OEM resonators, and I simply deleted the muffler. In other words, from the second resonator, straight piping to the rear tips.

Here is the exhaust piping coming off the second resonator

Just run the piping under the battery box on the passenger side and you'll be fine... just leave enough space so it doesn't melt the plastic.. or, run heat shielding (which I added when we redid the exhaust)

#6 ·
honestly, i don't drive nearly "hard enough" to notice... if it was terrible, i would certainly pick it up but, if any, it's minimal

#7 ·
i really want this set up! =) i am inspired by you haha
what rear bumper and diffusor are you using?

#8 ·
bumper for answer? =)

#10 ·
damnn kinda on a budget =( whats out there thats a good price, looks good, and allows me to do an outside quad set up?

#13 ·
Yeah dude, I love the rear I ended up with but it is the very last thing I would ever suggest doing... The bumper runs around 800 just for the piece itself and when you include paint, installation, custom piping fot the quad (which was EXTENSIVE), custom tips, and the custom carbon work on the diffusor, it, in total, ended up running me about 3x the cost of the bumper itself... and i known it would cost that going in, never would have done it (not to mention it took about 8 months start to finish to do it).

As for doing it on a budget, may i suggest the Mtech rear bumper, carbon fiber ACS diffusor from DTM-spec.net, 76mm tips from DTM-spec.net (the burnt tip titanium tips are :drool: ), and a shop can do the custom quad exhaust for around 300 or so...

Feel free to PM me with any questions as I'm more than willing to help out with anything :hi:

#15 ·
bump bump bump

#18 ·
this does help =) also where could one purchase from this "SRS" you speak of?

#20 ·
hey man I've been thinking about doing this and I've got some questions. On scale of 1-10 1 being stock how loud do you think it is? Could I get a ballpark on how much you think it would cost to just cut off the muffler and weld on some tips. Would it sound good on a auto? Thanks

PS. your car is one of my favorites on the website. :)

#21 ·
I dont't know about how loud it is on an e46 but my friend got a muffler delete on his 335i with new tips and it sounds really nice and loud and it is auto. If I'm not mistaken he got it all done for about a 150 bucks.

#24 ·
I need you guys convince me to do this. I think your vids sound awsome! I don't want a super loud exhaust but I also don't wanna spend 6 or 700 dollars. Have you heard the dtm spec muffler? I think if I dont like the muffler delete I would get that.

#25 ·
Do it man... You are out for sound alone and not HP. The best "sounding" exhaust is probably the UUC kit IMO, but it is $1.2k-$1.5k depending on who you talk to. VERY expensive for a possible 2-5RWHP, but killer sound.

Look at it this way, get it done, keep the stock muffler. If you hate it, put it back together and chalk it up as a mistake and move on.

I am assuming this won't throw any CELs or anything (seeing as it is just the muffler), so you should be in good shape. If you are planning to track your car, I'd get a real catback setup.

#27 ·
Time to save up some money... :4ngie: Thanks for answering me guys!

#31 ·
:hi:
one question. I am going to put headers on my car, would it be louder than a lamborghini if were to do straight pipes + headers? or should i just throw down 1.5k and get the uuc exhaust that i kinda want along with the headers?
In my opinion, will be WAY loud with headers and a muffler delete. I would suggest one or the other unless you are ok with it being what I would call crazy loud (ie anyone not a fan of remotely loud cars will give you funny looks)
that would be lound a **** but would sound sick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r13y1auJc9s
heres a m3
yeah.... louh :excited:

#33 ·
^^ If you don't want it super loud, I definitely would advise against aftermarket headers AND a muffler delete. Either do the delete or buy a performance exhaust to go with your aftermarket headers :hi:

#34 ·
that sounds pretty sick. does that get a lil annoying? i took off everything EXCEPT the muffler. that with the K&N intake makes it sound pretty dope. good stuff :)

#36 ·
Nah, not loud to the point that it's ever annoying. A friend of mine's family has tons of exotics and supercars and mine doens't come close to the exhaust volume of some of those cars. Given that, I don't think it's "loud to the point of being crazy"... If it were rice rocket or american muscle car loud, I would get annoyed by it. I had a friend with a camaro with an aftermarket muffler and his car was way louder than mine to the point I didn't like riding in it.. with the muffler delete, it's nowhere near that loud.

And yes, that m3 with straight pipes would be way to loud for my liking

#35 ·
lol just watched that video^^ THAT IS SO LOUD HAHA i thought that m3 was like next to the camera when it took off.

#38 ·
not sure where you could find the work done for 30 bucks (especially including tips) but, for that money, why not at least try it out :)

#41 ·
No no no.

If you imagine the underside of your car you have....

(ENGINE)---(HEADERS)---(Resonator 1) --- (resonator 2)--- *(Muffler)- (tips)

I just chopped the muffler off, ran piping in it's place, and put tips on the end.

So it goes: (ENGINE)---(HEADERS)---(Resonator 1) --- (resonator 2)---------- (tips)

Removing your muffler, naturally, gives it more volume and a deeper, more aggressive note :hi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.