E46 Fanatics Forum banner

M-Tech II Front Bumper - Installation Problem

10K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  andrewboi 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago, I purchased an M-Tech II Front Bumper from ASPTuning. I'm having trouble attaching the reinforcement bar (rebar) to the M-Tech Bumper. I'm using 8 expanding nuts and 8 bolts from BMW. When I attach one side of the rebar.. the other side lifts up in the air. I attempted to push the lifted part, down, but the expanding nuts popped out on the other side of the bumper.

Please help.

Thanks

See less See more
#6 ·
Hmm that could be a solution.. I just feel that I'm exerting more force on the bumper than what is normally needed.. It seems like the bumper wasn't made for my rebar? My bodyshop thinks an M3 rebar may fit differently? I know this is an aftermarket bumper but fitment looks WAY off.

#9 ·
Hey Jmack,

I'm not too sure about this solution but I did read a few install issues regarding Mtech II's and the reinforcement bar sometimes needs to be replaced with a facelifted one. But I think I would try the few above mentioned solutions first before going and putting more $$ into getting a facelifted reinforcement bar.

I know with even a few of my own personal bumpers I have to leave the bar on, then stick the bumper on, and forget the rivets. Then push the bumper into place and usually that does the trick.
Cause everything seems to be pressure fitted into place so it won't fly out on you or all out but your call. I'm not suggesting it but I'm just giving you an option.

Steve
ASPTuning

#10 ·
Thanks! I'm going to give this a shot tomorrow..

Hey man I had the EXACT same problem with my Euro-Spec bumper, but luckily I had also gotten these (BLIND RIVET part # 51118222901) as a backup. Use these with one of those manual rivet guns (Home Depot/Lowes, see below) and they should hold better than the screws. The rivet gun tips I had were too small for them, but I just ended up not using a tip at all. Worked like a charm. Let me know if you have any other questions.

#14 ·
your problem is in your second pictures. At the ends of the reinforcement bar, you should have a screw and a nut holding the bumper to the bar.
I know this, because I did my Mtech II install few weeks ago. I had no issues at all. If you are using rivets on the corners of the bars they will pop out like it is in you pictures #2.

#15 ·
I think what you need to do is shove some PVC piping in there and maybe an old bong. That should hold pretty well.

Best of luck to you, jmack08!

#17 ·
Nice you own a 320i? That's awesome, Steve. I live in NYC now and when I talk about my car nobody knows what a 320 is here in America!

#21 ·
I had the same problem. Put the bar on the car first and just jam the bumper to fit over it and it should work out ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.