E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Engine Smoke Problem

941 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  karitammi 
#1 ·
Often when I drive my car the engine bay will start smoking and puts a bad smell through my vents. I initially thought that the smell was coming from engine coolant leaking out of my radiator and landing on hot parts thus smoking. But I have just put in a new radiator and the same thing is still happening. The car is running at the correct temperature too. It seems to me that the smoke is originating from under the cabin air filter. I am almost positive it is an oil leak but not sure where to start to repair the leak. Any help would be great!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#2 ·
First thing to check is the passenger side of the valve cover, as it's not unusual for oil to drip from there onto the exhaust manifold. Also get a mirror and check at the back of the valve cover gasket, closest to the passenger compartment. If that's what's leaking, a new valve cover gasket and rubber o-rings for the bolts around the valve cover are the minimum of what's needed. If you get a complete valve cover gasket set, it will include new gaskets that go around the spark plugs. Oh, while there, a great time to replace the spark plugs, if close to being time to change them.

I use BMW valve cover gaskets when I replace them. There have been issues with at least one other brand, where they start leaking after a short while. Also, you'll need some RTV sealant when replacing the valve cover gasket. There's an excellent DIY at Beisansystems.com under procedures, as part of the vanos replacement o-rings procedure.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm curerntly working on oil filter housing gasket. My 325i engine is oily below the intake manifold up to gearbox! I blame oil filter housing gasget, even I started to fix CCV valve & hosing. See the thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=657887. A good comment by "ssm1991" gives advice to check the oil filter housing gasget if engine is oily under intake manifold. I believe its hard leak to locate since engine can be somewhat dirty there anyway and the leak may occur only higher oil pressures (higher revs).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.