E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Control arm bushing or control arm?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Stinger9 
#1 ·
I searched on different threads and could not find an answer to my questions so here i am asking you guys for help. So my symptoms are wheel shaking at 60+ MPH and clunking noises when going over bumps. But car does not pull to one side when braking or anything. What could it be control arm bushing or control arm itself?

#4 ·
How many miles are on the car, how long have you had, any records of any of the suspension being replaced? Bushings generally need to be replaced every 60k or so miles, and control arms every 80-100k or so. I didn't experience the wheel being shaky at 60mph+, but I did hear the clunks so I replaced the control arms and bushings at about 104k miles. Made a hell of a difference. Your bushing may just be shot, as it doesn't pull when you brake, unlike mine. My control arms were indeed shot, and the bushings were gone.

#11 ·
Balancing the wheels will be fine as long as they're hub centric, and as long as they don't have a giant bend in one, which the tire shop will tell you about. At 170k, replace the control arms and their bushings, I guarantee if they're original, or were replaced at 100k, they're shot again. Your rear shocks and struts are probably gone too, but get the control arms and control arm bushings replaced first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.