E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Koni STR-T or yellow

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  glhx 
#1 ·
I know the yellows are better

I'm staying with the stock springs......(sport suspension package) and can't find anything good about the strt. I've seen nothing but good reviews about the koni sport shocks, but if I don't need them and something else would be better i would rather have that.

I don't want to lower or track the car. I drive normally and I'm just looking for a good replacement for my factory Sachs shocks.

2002 330ci

#3 · (Edited)
I'm running the Koni Str-T struts and like them. They replaced stock Sachs ZHP struts with 94k on them. The Konis seem smoother like they soak up bumps better. Not sure how they stack up in the performance area. Not having any problem with them though. I was also debating going to the Koni Sports mainly for the adjustment feature. In the end decided to take a chance and save some dough. Had I got the Sports I probably would be running them on a low setting any way.

#5 ·
I went with the
Koni sport yellow
Meyle fcab
Meyle strut mounts
New pads and bump stops and dust boots
Meyle rsm with z3 plates
Power flex rtabs.

My tires are feathering and we were tossing it between shocks or fcabs.
So I replaced everything that would cause that. Could be the tires but at this point I doubt it

#7 ·
How do you like it. I am going to run some prints in the future. I was looking at h&r.

What did you adjust your shocks to. I'm thinking 1 turn with sport suspension.

#8 ·
I have koni str.t's with h&r sports on my non sport 323i. I love them but at times they tend to be a little harsh, but suspension feel is relative to the driver. I recently reworked my whole suspension with the meyle lca's w/ bushings, powerflex rtabs, koni str.ts and the h&rs. Everything is way tighter, more precise. not sure how much more than factory though, bought the car at 127k and overhauled the suspension at 150k. Definetly needed them.

Overall I'm happy with the str.ts, not sure how you like your suspension to feel but its definetly not your grandmas cady but not gonna jar your teeth loose driving on a few pebbles.

Pick what suits you. If you want something similar yo OEM go OEM. Stiff but no adjustment go str.t. if you plan on wanting softer/stiffer at different times go yellow.

Just my 2 cents..

#10 · (Edited)
Went yellow koni.... As they break in the will ride softer. I wanted the adjustment would never go back to oem. Stuff just doesn't last. At 130,000 my shocks were shot. I had no idea. The sport suspension has no bounce test. I just said.....something is trashing my tires. It was either shocks or lcabs....or both. It was both. The fronts were really bad. The backs were on their way. I just changed it all. Except lower control arms and steering guibo.

Ended up doing a lot at once
Vcg, vanos seals, vanos anti rattle, dropped sub frame and did oil pan gasket and motor mounts, transmission mounts, shocks, struts, lcabs, rtabs, rsm, and seat belt wiring harness. I'm still not done with all of it. The oil pan gasket was a big undertaking.

New tires are ruined. :banghead:

The next set won't be :woot:

Congrats on 300k

#13 ·
Would go with the h & r springs if I had to do over again.

The fronts are adjust at the top of the shock any time you want. The back you have to take the shock loose. Push the shock rod all the way into the housing and turn it back to the base setting......then adjust from there.

The backs were easy....the front required 2 spring compressors from autozone. You can also get the eauopean strut compressor which makes the job easier.

They ride more firm on the setting I have. But it handles much better. My shocks were shot. I don't know how the car is supposed to ride so it might ride normal. I did have to adjust them back a little softer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.