E46 Fanatics Forum banner

What do I need to know to lower my car?

840 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bee-em-dougle-u 
#1 ·
Thinking of lowering my 325i. I want to drop it so I don't have that much problems with rubbing or anything like that. Also my struts are due for a change. Any one point mw in the right direction?

#2 ·
Need more information ... sport suspension? budget? can you DIY? have you looked at other cars on the forum that you like the profile of? And the always asked big question, is you maintenance up to date including cooling system, suspension components like control arms and bushings, fuel filter and pump?

#3 ·
I don't have sport suspension. Budget would be less then $500.. I am planning on doing it all my self. Im starting to like the 1.5" drop in the front and back. Also I want to make sure I have enough space to put 17mm spacers on the back and 15mm on the front. All maintenance is up to date.

#5 · (Edited)
You might be able to get close with some cheaper KYB struts, H&R springs, Lemfoerder mounts, and some Turner reinforcement plates. I think that will put you a little over $500, but I wouldn't go with anything less personally.

Edit: Rear shocks and mounts will add to this also.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#4 ·
$500 won't get much since you will need quality shocks, struts and lowering springs. The 1.5" drop seems reasonable but the spacers may be a little aggressive. Spacers themselves will run about $150 to $200 so that doesn't leave much for shocks and struts. Also, you will most likely need strut and shock mounts which even with budget units will run about $100 to $150. Go to one of the sponsor sites and price out the components you will need ... shocks, struts, lowering springs, rear shock mounts, front strut mounts, spacers.

I kept mine at stock sport height and did all those except the springs and spacers using Koni FSD shocks and struts, Rogue rear shock mounts, and Lemforder strut mounts and, even with a good sale price on shocks and struts, spent over $700. Many people go with coilovers for lowering but then you are in at about $1000 plus spacers and mounts.

Your mounts may be OK unless you have more than 70,000 to 80,000 miles but, since you're in there ... you know the drill. Good luck on your project.

#10 ·
Toe settings will change a bit with lowering springs too. Getting a "free" increase in negative camber is usually a good thing (a moderate amount, say -0.5 degrees), as someone who does the change in the first place often drives more aggressively than the average guy...in this case the neg. camber will help to equalize wear across the tread surface. Definitely get an alignment. It might cost as little as $80.

To do lowering right, it's gonna cost more like $900. My car in sig pic has the H&R Sport springs/Bilstein Sport shocks...lowers the car 1.4" up front, 0.7" in back. It's a good "real world" ride height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.