E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  yjsaabman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#23,001 ·
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Trying to replace the alternator right now but at a sticking point.

Don't have the right spanner to remove the fan nut! Now waiting on a mate to bring some tools... nearly there.
I removed mine with a small adjustable wrench and pulled the alt in 20 minutes on the side of the road. Jerk it. Helps when the motor is warm. Good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#23,002 ·
Well, due to having a soda can explode in my trunk in the past I didn't want to put soda in there.

...and of course right now I have the dump truck mod installed so there isn't much cargo space. :thumbsup:

Hey now. I resemble that remark.

But I discovered a new method for removing stubborn stains!!! Idiocy + Serendipity = Benefit to community
Odd. I don't want to say you're doing it wrong... but I've transported tons (probably literally) of soda cans in my day, and never has one leaked/exploded/bloweduprealgud in my car.

#23,003 ·
I removed mine with a small adjustable wrench and pulled the alt in 20 minutes on the side of the road. Jerk it. Helps when the motor is warm. Good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Damn man, I wish I had your skills and mechanical know how. It took me three hours to get u p to the fan, packed it all back again because I didnb't have the tools. This was at 1am.

Anyway, I'm afraid I have damaged the fitting that connects to the upper radiator hose on the engine side. Where the tabs insert in between the gaps of the hose, I broke them off unknowingly when I tried to remove the hose from the fitting. Please see pic.

I'm now wondering whether I can replace that one area as the hose doesn't seem very secure. I'm afraid when the temperatures rise, that can easily blow out and dump coolant everywhere. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get it right again?

#23,017 ·
How do you know when belts have broken or snapped?

And how do you diagnose the belts are about to go apart from visually inspecting them?
Lol, if they're broken you will know. Car will overheat, loss of power, etc

Visually checking is the only way. If you see small cracks then it's time for replacement.

#23,019 ·
Replaced my original Osram Xenarcs with $9.99 eBay D2S bulbs (that's priced for both)

Lighting is noticeably improved, and the 6000k looks more visually appealing than the OEM 4300k.
Sure, they'll probably only last a couple years but I can't justify $80 for brand name replacements.

Flame suit on :evil:

#23,020 ·
Replaced my original Osram Xenarcs with $9.99 eBay D2S bulbs (that's priced for both)

Lighting is noticeably improved, and the 6000k looks more visually appealing than the OEM 4300k.
Sure, they'll probably only last a couple years but I can't justify $80 for brand name replacements.

Flame suit on :evil:
i've seen two recent confirmed cases (other forums) where those generic D2S HID bulbs have caused fires.