E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Project: Dyeing dove grey interior to imola red & black

329K views 302 replies 129 participants last post by  Non-Affiliated 
#1 ·
So lately, I have been toying with the idea of changing my interior color from dove grey to Black and Imola Red combination. I was trying to decide between the cinnamon and imola but with my car being TIAG, I do not think cinnamon would work out. I know this will be a long process and I have gathered information from reading other members' threads about dyeing their interiors to different colors. I spoke with Khristie from leatherique and tried to get as much information about dyeing the interior and making sure that the dye colors that they are about to send me will match the OEM BMW color since I read somewhere about this guy who was going to do an imola red dye but then decided to go with cinnamon instead since he was told that the red dye that he wanted did not have enough red pigments due to goverment EPA restriction stuff. I asked Khristie about that and she told me that what they meant was that they could not match the deep red interiors that some other cars have but luckily for us, they have the exact BMW OEM Imola red color. So long story short, I decided to go ahead and do this dreadful project. It will take time and I will try my best to be as detailed as possible updating you guys.

I purchased the KIT #4 (48 oz of dye, 32 oz Rejuvinator Oil, 32 oz Prestine Clean and 32 oz Prepping Agent) and 1/2 oz of Crack Filler with the Imola Red Custom Color)
and also a quart of BMW OEM Black Matt finish for the plastic pieces etc.

Acrylic brushes from a hobby store...
Air brush kit and a small compressor from home depot...

I plan to start taking out the door panels and front/rear seats this saturday and start prepping them.

WISH ME LUCK!

See less See more
Reactions: Charlie1891
#2 ·
IT HAS BEGUN!!!

Bought stuff at Walmart - $81
Bought stuff at Home Depot - $90
Bought stuff at Pepboys - $40
Air Compressor and Air brush (ordered online) - $110 will be delivered TUESDAY
Leatherique Dye kit #4 upgraded to 32oz for Imola and Black- $300 will be delivered MONDAY

MISC THINGS THAT I NEEDED... Spent around 2.5 hours running around this morning to get them.

CLEARED SOME THINGS OUT OF THE WAY IN THE BASEMENT FOR MY MAKESHIFT PAINT BOOTH

AFTER SETTING UP THE PAINT BOOTH / WORK AREA IN THE BASEMENT

CHARLIE AND BP CAME IN TO HELP! Then we went 2 rounds of bowling after! (Thanks Guys!)

CAR GUTTED... WE DECIDED TO DO THE DASH 2 WEEKENDS FROM NOW SINCE I WILL BE AWAY NEXT WEEKEND...

LOOKED LIKE I WAS HAVING A GARAGE SALE AT MY HOUSE! (My neighbors asked me...)

#3 ·
SO I HAD DINNER AND CHARLIE AND BP LEFT BUT I DECIDED TO CONTINUE WORKING...

I STARTED TO DISASSEMBLE THE REAR PANELS... CLEAN THEM AND PREP THEM FOR PAINTING TOMORROW...

REAR PANELS DISASSEMBLED

CLEANED AND DEGREASED THEM WITH THIS AND USED SCOTCH BRITE PADS.
WASHED THEM WITH WATER AND THEN WIPED WITH A CLEAN TOWEL THEN USED MY WIFE'S HAIR DRYER TO DRY THEM.

LABELED ALL THE SCREWS THAT WERE TAKEN OUT IN A ZIPLOCK BAG

STARTED TO DISASSEMBLE THE PASSENGER FRONT DOOR PANEL

I will continue cleaning the front door panels tomorrow and disassemble the driver side.
I plan to start painting the vinyl part of the front and rear panels and maybe some small platic pieces will be sanded down and painted as well...

Time to rest. It was a productive day and here's how chaotic my basement looks like now!

#4 ·
UPDATES:

Today, I continued where I left off last night. I am trying to get as much things done so that I can concentrate in dyeing the seats and the door panel inserts. I also just bought a black carpet set so that I would not have to dye the grey carpet and have the risk of changing the texture of it. Plus I think that the real oem black carpet would look a lot better inside the car vs a dyed carpet.

FINALLY GOT ALL THE DORR PANELS CLEANED AND DISASSEMBLED. (DRYING)

AND SOME MORE SMALL PLASTIC PIECES CLEANED AND DRYING

WHILE WAITING FOR THE PIECES TO DRY, I STARTED TO RIT DYE THE REAR DECK.
I USED 2 BOTTLES OF LIQUID RIT DYE. 1 BOTTLE PER COATING.

REAR DECK AFTER FIRST COAT

THE COLOR CHANGE BEGINS!
I did 3 coats of paint and waited 15 minutes for every layer.

REAR DOOR PANEL 1ST COAT

REAR SPEAKER COVERS

ALL DOOR PANELS PAINTED
(4 spray cans used to cover all 4 panels and speaker covers)

RAN OUT OF VINYL & FABRIC SPRAY SO I WENT OUT TO GET MORE FROM AUTOZONE AND PEPBOYS

REAR DECK DIFFUSER PAINTED

INSTALLED MY REAR DECK BACK IN THE CAR

FRONT DOOR KICK PANELS

REAR SEAT BELT PLASTIC COVER

#10 ·
#8 ·
Good job so far, good luck

#11 ·
Ordered some more parts today from ECS Tuning.. I decided to get a brand new center console with the arm rest delete, long euro tray and rear slider compartment... plus some extra small clips that I might need for the ones that will break...

#12 ·
So tonight (Monday), after coming home from work, I started to tackle the front and rear arm rests. Took them apart and sanded the bottom part of it to get it ready for painting. The leatherique products got delivered today. Started to clean the parts that will be dyed Imola red and applied leatherique leather rejuvinator. All of the pieces were stored in plastic bags to let the rejuvinator soak for 3 days to lift up all the dirt. Did the first coat of paint with the front and rear arm rests. My goal for tomorrow is to deal with the front seats. Try to disassemble them and hopefully get to apply the rejuvinator to them as well.

LEATHERIQUE PRODUCTS ARRIVED

LEATHER REJUVINATOR APPLIED

LOWER ARM REST AND SOME PLATIC PIECES SANDED DOWN

SOME PLASTIC PIECES PAINTED

LOWER ARM REST PEICES 1ST PAINT COAT

UPPER ARM REST PIECES STORED AWAY

ALL LEATHER REJUVINATED PARTS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE PLASTIC BAGS

#16 · (Edited)
LOL!!! I bet the car is crazy light now....

Subscribed. Can't wait to see the outcome, may even be doing this to my car when I have the time to do so (thinking Summer 2013).. So this will definitely be helpful. Looking good so far!

I do have one question for you, though - what did the guys at Leatherique say when you requested Imola Red dye? I remember a member here on E46fanatics doing his interior dyeing project in Cinnamon since Leatherique had said something about Imola Red not being to hold the dye together all too well over time for certain reasons.
I explained that on my first post...

I hope you're ready for the poor results of Leatherique (regardless of application style).

The leather found originally in your M3 was colored by pigmentation (painting) and then a top coat (clear coat, matte). Any product that is a one step solution is far from proper or of quality.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=344169

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=1064582711&postcount=15

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=1065045995&postcount=23
Thanks for the concern... If it does not hold up, I am prepared to buy the OEM Imola parts. I just thought I'd do this first and see how it comes out...

So my question is... How do you explain these? These guys had leatherique applied to their interiors and it has been more than a year now and their interior looks great still.. It might have just been the way you prepped your interior... I did not just come up with that conclusion because I personally spoke with them...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=355995

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=805942

#14 · (Edited)
Subscribed. Can't wait to see the outcome, may even be doing this to my car when I have the time to do so (thinking Summer 2013).. So this will definitely be helpful. Looking good so far!

I do have one question for you, though - what did the guys at Leatherique say when you requested Imola Red dye? I remember a member here on E46fanatics doing his interior dyeing project in Cinnamon since Leatherique had said something about Imola Red not being to hold the dye together all too well over time for certain reasons.

#15 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Last night, I finished painting the front and rear arm rests to black. All the leather pieces that were rejuvenated were taken out from the plastic bags and sprayed with pristine clean. Wiped with a rag dipped in warm water and dried with a wiping cloth. Decided to put the cleaned pieces in the garage to let them dry. I tried to see how the dye works and used it for the arm rests inserts. I applied the dye with a cloth and did 1 coat for the front arm rest inserts and 2 coats for the rears. I plan to finish it off spraying it with HVLP spray gun with a compressor.

PRISTINE CLEANED PARTS DRYING

REAR LOWER ARM REST PIECES PAINTED

IMOLA RED DYE APPLIED...
2 LEFT PIECES (1 COAT) & 2 RIGHT PIECES (2COATS)

#23 · (Edited)
Leatherique does not make a Matte top coat. They only offer super gloss and even then their product is too thick and latexish to properly support a top coat (or itself). He can use a matte coat from any of the proper leather restoration sites (2-stage products) on the net and use it with the Leatherique as I demonstrated in my links. This will make the product look massively better, but does not add any additional durability.

Busa; Before you consider top coating (if you are). I encourage you to spray a leather piece that doesn't mean much to you with the Leatherique. Prep it, coat it and let it dry right. Try to make it fail after you've done all that by picking at it. You'll notice that once the product has failed it seriously comes off like plastidip on a painted body panel. The reason I'm encouraging that you do this is that you don't waste anymore money on this recolor if you aren't happy with durability.

(prepped with scotch pad like all proper 2-stage coloring systems suggest)

#24 ·
Updates from last night... Started to use the prep agent with scotch brite pad. Cleaned with damped cloth and dried with cloth and my wife's sooopah hair dryer! LOL! Once the pieces were dry, I started to assemble the HVLP Spray Station that I bought from Lowes. It worked great and I am impressed with the way it performed. Poured the dye in the can and mixed it with a little bit of bottled water to thin the dye a little. Then I started to spray the pieces. I plan to let them sit until sunday and I will sand down the pieces with 1000 grit and then hit them again with the final dye coat. Texture is great once the dye is dry. Leather grain still shows and looks very OEMish....

FRONT DOOR PANELS DRYING FROM PREP AGENT

HVLP SPRAY

FIRST COATING

SPRAYING 2ND COAT

ALL THE PIECES WITH 2ND COAT APPLIED (DRYING)

SHOWING TEXTURE/LEATHER GRAIN

ALL THE PIECES THAT I WAS ABLE TO WORK ON LAST NIGHT

#32 ·
***9786; thanks man! Just lucky to have some friends who are BMW enthusiasts that were willing to help me take the interior apart.

Very impressive
***128077; thanks!

Good job. Just a question though, is it a bit orangish? It may just be the camera. I have the imola/black interior. Either way, it looks good.
it might just have been the low light in my basement. It's exactly imola red in color... Camera was trying to get as much light as it can from the surroundings and I only had a fluorescent overhead light to work with...

Ive tried painting some boats seats (vinyl) with the duplicolor vinyl paint and it doesnt last!! It will work on solid surfaces (like the door panels) but its a disaster on anything that flexes (like seats). You will have cracking and peeling and it will get on peoples clothes (which is embarrasing) plus it will look like crap. I hate to rain on your parade but seats will need to be replaced if you want everything to look good.
please read my thread next time before commenting. I am not using Vinyl fabric spray on the leather parts or seats..

Hate to rain on your parade, but he's not using duplicolor on the leather. Read the thread.
LOL!!! +1

#30 ·
Ive tried painting some boats seats (vinyl) with the duplicolor vinyl paint and it doesnt last!! It will work on solid surfaces (like the door panels) but its a disaster on anything that flexes (like seats). You will have cracking and peeling and it will get on peoples clothes (which is embarrasing) plus it will look like crap. I hate to rain on your parade but seats will need to be replaced if you want everything to look good.

#33 · (Edited)
Last night, packages got delivered to my house... Black Center Console, Long Euro Tray, Rear tray, small clips and the black Carpet. I ordered the parts from ECS Tuning and the black carpet from Asmod3us... I did the final coat for the door panel inserts, started on the rear seat, rear headrests and bolsters. Did 1 coat of dye for the rear seat, bolsters and rear head rests. This morning, before going back to work, I applied the 2nd coat to them to let them dry until I come home tonight to do the 3rd coat. I was also able to shampoo the carpet with a help of my friend that works in a car wash. He was able to wash and clean the carpets and vacuum them last night.

ECS TUNING PACKAGE

CENTER CONSOLE (ARM REST DELETE) / LONG EURO TRAY / REAR TRAY / CLIPS

BLACK CARPET (NOT CLEANED YET)

STARTED ON THE PIPINGS WITH A FOAM BRUSH

FIRST COAT

DOOR PANEL INSERTS DRYING

2ND COAT

SHE IS PATIENTLY WAITING...

#35 ·
Lookin good brotha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.