E46 Fanatics Forum banner

should i bite the bullet

2K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  gimpyviper 
#1 ·
well, i have heard rumors that this is the end of the line for the current m3 body style. is this true? this is my dream car and i am wondering if i should bite the bullet and buy one of the last remaining ones on the east coast. i have searched around on the net and can not seem to find any information. hopefully you all can shed some light.

thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
Falcon22181 said:
well, i have heard rumors that this is the end of the line for the current m3 body style. is this true? this is my dream car and i am wondering if i should bite the bullet and buy one of the last remaining ones on the east coast. i have searched around on the net and can not seem to find any information. hopefully you all can shed some light.

thanks in advance.
Yes the 2006 model year is the final year for the E46 M3. I haven't heard for sure if the E90 M3 will be a 2007 or 2008 model yet but my guess is there won't be a 2007 model in the US. M3's have traditionally skipped a year following the 3 series model update.

EDIT - Also unless you're so stinking rich it doesn't matter to you, you shouldn't feel pressured to buy one since it's going out of production. BMW made alot of E46 M3s and you can and should buy a used one. Don't take the nasty depreciation clip on a new car, it's silly. I saved over 25,000 dollars by getting a used one and my car is practically new. Most people will tell you never to buy a car that's newer than 1 year old. You just lose too much money. It took me a while to come to terms with it as the M3 is my dream car too and I wanted it completely new. But then reality set in as did the need to compromise.

#4 · (Edited)
Falcon22181 said:
should i bite the bullet? i want to so badly... :craig:
Yes but not a 2006 model, save yourself money get a 2003-2005 with about 10k miles or so on it, you'll save a boat load and don't forget, the lower the sale price the less money you throw away on tax.

Unless of course money is completely not an issue ;)

If you're trying to decide weather or not to wait for the E90 M3, my friend said this to me when he was trying to assuage my fears that I should have gotten SMG

"At what point does I-drive + SMG + 500hp + adaptive headlights + .. + .. + .. + etc. = not fun to drive anymore? Many would say the next gen M3 is too big, too brute force, and too techno to be a real M3, and those people would place high value in "the last true M3"... the 6-speed E46."

Plus you don't want to get the E90 M3 the first year or so it's available. Just ask anyone on hear about 2001/2002 E46 M3s and they'll tell you. Get an E46 M3 now, an 03-05 model unless you have so much loot lying around you can throw away depreciation money on a new one. Then in 3 years or so when the E90 M3 has matured, and if it turns out to be just as good as this one, trade it in.

#5 ·
you make a lot great points. my only fear about buying a used one is i dont know how the previous owner drove it during the burn in period. plus this would be my first truely brand new car. money is an object unfortunately :thumbdwn: but the advantages of a new one and a used on are about the same; both will be great cars.

i have read a few stories about ppl buying used and not being happy at all... :dunno:

#6 ·
I think you would be safe with a low mile 03-05. I've really had no major problems at 31K miles.

However, if it is your dream car and you will keep it forever, maybe it's worth an extra $10K to get one brand new exactly the way you want it. You can still customize one online and save for 2 months while it's being manufactured. You could even do European delivery. :drool:

#10 ·
Just get a low mileage one and you'll be fine. Don't worry about the burn in period. The M3 drive train is a beast and can taking a pounding. If you intend to get a 6 speed, make sure you drive the car before you buy it so you can feel the clutch out. I don't know what your experience driving stick is but if all you've driven is but you might be in for a bit of a learning experience. If you get a low mileage car there will still be warranty coverage on it and if you're really concerned get a CPO one. Just look for CPO cars on the BMW site. I found mine on Autotrader.com My car is still under factory warranty (4/50) That's why you want an 03 or 04 car, you'll still have warranty converage.

Don't do an online purchase, if you're gonna buy new goto the dealer. If you're gonna buy used, you need to test drive the car. Save yourself the money and get a low mileage 03-05 I'm telling you, you won't regret it. Within 100 miles of me there are like 70 CPO M3s available since I checked last (I'm in New York) so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

Ask yourself how much money you really want to spend a month on this car. That should tell you weather you should get new or used. Don't forget insurance, I got a great rate from Geico on mine but thats because I'm older and have a relatively clean record and my GF is older than me and has a clean record too. And like I said before, you buy new, you're just doing Uncle Sam a favor and giving him more of your money than you should. After tax and other fees a nicely equiped new M3 will come out to be around 75,000 (in NY anyway) and unless you put down 20k + your monthly payment will be astronomical.

#11 · (Edited)
Falcon22181 said:
alpine white or silver metallic
black leather
competition trim
competition package
premium package
cold weather package
nav
hardon kardon sound
xeons

keep the comments and advice rolling :thumbsup:
Don't forget, the competition package takes away all the steerwheel controls for the stereo and cruise control etc. The only reason I can see to really get competition trim is if you're a track enthusiast, absolutely LOVE Interlagos Blue, or absolutely LOVE the rims. It's alot to pay for a little bit of performance you really have to work to see. It's 4000 grand I would rather spend elsewhere... (Like the 2k+ it's gonna cost me to install my Valentine One and laser jammer)

#12 ·
i live in delaware, so taxes is about 2%, then tags. i am younger but have a great record but insurance is going to be around 1000 every 6 months. i have some things to think about, but being its my dream car, the last of its kind of this model, imight try to bite the bullet and try for a new one.

#14 ·
Falcon22181 said:
i live in delaware, so taxes is about 2%, then tags. i am younger but have a great record but insurance is going to be around 1000 every 6 months. i have some things to think about, but being its my dream car, the last of its kind of this model, imight try to bite the bullet and try for a new one.
Damn I should move to Delaware.

#15 ·
Falcon22181 said:
i realize the competition package takes away from the steering buttons and cruise control, but are you also saying its only comes in Interlagos Blue?

i do really like the wheels though, i guess i could always buy them later. wow so many decisions..... :dunno:
No, but you can only get Interlagos Blue with the competition package. Same goes for the trim and the rims.

The rims are nice, but the 19" M rims are nice too.

#16 ·
Falcon22181 said:
i realize the competition package takes away from the steering buttons and cruise control, but are you also saying its only comes in Interlagos Blue?

i do really like the wheels though, i guess i could always buy them later. wow so many decisions..... :dunno:
i thought in Delaware there was no sales tax?

#17 ·
Falcon22181 said:
how do i do an online purchase? i have been to the bmw site and have built to order, but i just thought that was to get an idea. i have been to the dealers and there is only 1 bmw m3 06 on the east coast that they can get? are there other options?
Sorry. I meant to customize one online, and then order it from a dealer. Take it to several dealers to order. Say the first one who will sell it to me for $3K under MSRP you will take. I bet at least 1 in 4 will bite.

I'm almost positive you can still order one it's not even 06 yet.

#18 ·
they is no sales tax, but you have to pay 2% when getting tags title, etc.

i have been to the dealer could of ordered the last m3 on the production line, but that made the cost $73k, a little bit more than i want to spend. (a lot more actually) so the deadline is kind of here, unless i can find one already here. :dunno:

#19 · (Edited)
I hate to sound like a broken record, but seriously, any new M3 is gonna run in that price range. You should really be looking for a used one dude.

Save yourself some money so it won't hurt when you have to pay 400 bucks for a Valentine One and 300 dollars for a laser jammer and 60 bucks for license plate frames and 210 bucks for aluminum pedals, and 500 dollars for 3M clear bra... etc etc etc. Trust me, once you get the car you're gonna want to buy other stuff for it that gets expensive real fast.

Look at it this way, you can get an 03/04 low mileage M3 for say 45k give or take. I'm being conservative here, erring on the high side for price. With the money you save from buying a new one, you can put in a Dinan Stage 3 kit and STILL have ALOT of money left over. And that's saying ALOT.

EDIT - I've gone through the EXACT decision making process you are going through right now. New or used. E46 or E90. Lease or buy. Etc... In the end when I realized how much you get killed on depreciation the first year, I just couldn't bring myself to buy it new. And this goes for any car. I had the same thought in your head, what if some idiot didn't take care of it and more important to me, it's my dream car and I want it to be mine and only mine etc. But then I talked to my friend who bought his F360 used (for more than the cost of a new one) and he said it didn't bother him at all. And he's right, once you get in the car and drive it for the first time, when they hand you the keys, new or used you don't care.

#20 ·
very good points. i know its a lot of money to shell out and i know that i am gonna want to buy other things too. its just that when i went to the dealer, either they only searched for what i was asking for or they did a search and couldnt find anything. probably the dealer, i wasnt too impressed with them at all.

thanks for all the advice, as much as i want a new one, i think trying to look for a used 04 is probably the best bet. what kind of milaege should i look for?

i still really like the competition package and the wheels, but taking all the buttons and cruise control; might not be worth it.... :dunno:

#21 · (Edited)
Falcon22181 said:
very good points. i know its a lot of money to shell out and i know that i am gonna want to buy other things too. its just that when i went to the dealer, either they only searched for what i was asking for or they did a search and couldnt find anything. probably the dealer, i wasnt too impressed with them at all.

thanks for all the advice, as much as i want a new one, i think trying to look for a used 04 is probably the best bet. what kind of milaege should i look for?

i still really like the competition package and the wheels, but taking all the buttons and cruise control; might not be worth it.... :dunno:
Look on BMWusa.com and do a search there, call around to the dealers that have cars that you might be interested in. Don't be afraid of finding a car on autotrader.com (like me) either. Anything that's relatively new will still have a factory warranty. You might have to go to NJ to get one, they have tons of M3s all the time.

As for the Competition Rims, if you really like them, you can get them aftermarket, just do a search for CSL rims.

For an 04 mileagewise, look for something in the 10K range, 15k tops. Just FYI, the only difference between an 03 and 04, late 03 and after have LED tail lights and 04 have the newer GPS Nav unit (only difference being Birds Eye view which most people hate) that's the only real difference. So you can consider an 03 as well, provided the mileage is in check. Mine's an 03 and only had 13k miles on it when I got it. It's an early 03 though so I don't have LED tail lights but you can't really tell unless you look up close.

#24 ·
Hmm...

Falcon22181 said:
alpine white or silver metallic
black leather
competition trim
competition package
premium package
cold weather package
nav
hardon kardon sound
xeons

keep the comments and advice rolling :thumbsup:
Well, if you are hell-bent on the competition package, you will have to get an 05-06. But, since you can get near to the same - if not better - performance in aftermarket addons, you should just stick with an 03 and save the extra money for mods.

At least, that is what I would do. Of course, I drive an Accord so, most of what I say is crap :)

#25 ·
Buy whatever you want!!!

New or used, you should get whatever you want. Some people like to get new cars and pay for them and others like to get used cars. Do whatever you feel is the right thing for you. It is just like ordering or buying out of the lot. For my 330Ci, I had to order it and wait in order to get what I wanted. When I got my M3, it was just sitting at the dealer just as I wanted it, so I bought it without any wait... As far as some of the prices that the dealers are asking you, they are way over MSRP. You should be able to get the car for $2 to $3K under the MSRP that you see in the BMW site. You may need some help with the negotiation. Good luck!!!

#26 ·
your new m3

hey man, nice combination,

if the dealer told you $73k, why not contact another bmw dealership? i drove up to jersey to get my '01 m3 LSB for $29k, but i also bought a new '05 comp m3 AW with all those fixin's u want but u can't get NAV if you get the comp package and the premium package becomes limited...ie no bmw assist if that matters...etc. but yeah, new '05 m3 w/ all the fixin's was $58k. WOW...$73k...you should just buy one down here in VA and take a 3 hr drive to pick it up.

why not wait for the new e90? its supposedly going to be $60-70k

can't go wrong w/ any m3.

goodluck. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.