330i Suspension - bushing and shocks - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
MashasBMW03

My Ride: 2003 330i
330i Suspension - bushing and shocks

Hello!

I recently installed new polyurethane bushings on my car and uncovered a different problem!

Front shocks are completely shot. I will eventually be needing rear shocks but they are not as bad. Mechanic said that front shocks/struts are 1st priority.

I received an estimate from an indy shop for about $700-800 for parts and labor (just the front)..luckily I found the same bill stein shocks online for half the price.

1) Should I have all my shocks (front and rear) replaced at once? Or am I ok to just replace the front for now ? (running on a budget here)

2) What is the average cost of labor for new front shocks? I believe the estimate I received was too high. (remember i'll provide the parts)

Appreciate thoughts/comments!!

Last edited by MashasBMW03; 03-17-2017 at 11:20 PM.
MashasBMW03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
It's ok to replace the struts only then the rear shocks. Or vice versa. It's not ok to replace just one of them at a time.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
MashasBMW03

right and left of course!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Though you can replace just the front pair of struts or rear pair of shocks at different times, i'd recommend doing them all at once. If the front are that torn up, the rear must be close.

what's your budget for all four not including labor?

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.
SK330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
For $800 you can get new struts/shocks all around with mounts/hardware. You can rent the spring compressor tool for free and they job is not difficult.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
MashasBMW03

Found my parts (Bill Stein B4 front struts, left and right, bump stop, rear boot) for about $200 and found a specialized mechanic who can install them for $300. Does this sound about right?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
I8UR911

My Ride: Spec E46 (01 330Ci)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashasBMW03 View Post
Found my parts (Bill Stein B4 front struts, left and right, bump stop, rear boot) for about $200 and found a specialized mechanic who can install them for $300. Does this sound about right?
Yes, the labor sounds about right.

Most shops will charge 2-3hrs to install front struts.

$200 for 2 front Bilstein struts sounds cheap though....sounds like rear shock pricing and still cheap.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I8UR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
PancakeBimmer

My Ride: BMW 325i
OP do you mind sharing the link to struts? Wife's E46 needs new shocks/struts.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
wallaby13

My Ride: 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UR911 View Post
Yes, the labor sounds about right.

Most shops will charge 2-3hrs to install front struts.

$200 for 2 front Bilstein struts sounds cheap though....sounds like rear shock pricing and still cheap.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeBimmer View Post
OP do you mind sharing the link to struts? Wife's E46 needs new shocks/struts.
FCPeuro has bilstien B4 touring for ~$100 strut
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/33...80&m=20&page=1
Old 03-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
I8UR911

My Ride: Spec E46 (01 330Ci)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby13 View Post
That's a good deal.

The Bilstein B4's are supposed to be a good "OEM" replacement type shock.
I8UR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #11
PancakeBimmer

Quote:
Ohh yeah, I looked at those but "Touring" kind of threw me off. Thought that it was for touring models only.

Last edited by PancakeBimmer; 03-23-2017 at 03:50 PM.
PancakeBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
wallaby13

My Ride: 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeBimmer View Post
Ohh yeah, I looked at those but "Touring" kind of threw me off. Thought that it was for touring models only.
Check out this link

Quote:
B4 - Touring Class (TC) Shocks & Struts
Bilstein B4 Touring Class gas pressure shocks and struts are designed to be the economical choice for maintaining the original equipment ride performance while incorporating Bilstein's world-famous durability and precise construction. (black paint, steel body)
Quote:
faq Which shock absorbers do I need for my vehicle?
Repairs that reflect the current vehicle value:
BILSTEIN B2 Oil: For a worn or faulty original shock absorber - the same driving stability as on a new car.
BILSTEIN B4 Gas: For a worn or faulty original shock absorber - the same driving stability as on a new car. The BILSTEIN B4 Gas is a replacement part in Original Equipment quality and is available for almost any car.

Optimised suspension:
BILSTEIN B6 Sport: For a wider range of applications - with full payload and also at extreme temperatures - for consistent driving performance in town, on country roads and motorways, on short and long distances. The BILSTEIN B6 Sport is a high-performance shock absorber for normal and off-road vehicles.
BILSTEIN B8 Sprint: The BILSTEIN B8 Sprint was designed for lowered vehicles. This shortened high-performance shock absorber is the complement to suspension optimisation.
BILSTEIN B12 BTK: For optimum driving dynamics - the ideal blend of lowered springs and shock absorbers for first-rate fun at the wheel.
BILSTEIN B16 PSS9/10: Threaded chassis (shock absorbers and springs) with individual lowering and an additional nine/ten times damping force adjustment - can also be re-set with the units in situ for compression and rebound phases.
BILSTEIN motor sports/customised suspension units: Single units made to the driver's specifications and to meet motor sports demands.
edit if you want to save a few $$ you could have FCP price match autoplicity. FCP provides a lifetime warranty on the parts as well. Finally make sure you get the right strut for your application by checking the bilstien catalog and searching for those part numbers

Last edited by wallaby13; 03-23-2017 at 05:43 PM.
wallaby13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
PancakeBimmer

Quote:
Check out this link

edit if you want to save a few $$ you could have FCP price match autoplicity. FCP provides a lifetime warranty on the parts as well. Finally make sure you get the right strut for your application by checking the bilstien catalog and searching for those part numbers
Sweeet, thank you

I was trying to put old shocks and springs together with new mounts, just so that the car can rest on its wheels, but the shock doesn't want to extend all the way and there is not way to compress springs into 4-5"

Tags
bushings, cost, estimate, shocks, struts