SMG Pump Failure Thread - Page 18 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2017, 11:31 PM   #341
rob20v

My Ride: 02 M
try bleed system and do a full recalibration.
rob20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 AM   #342
HUNGARIANTONY

My Ride: BMW M3
X

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
HUNGARIANTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #343
thisjohnp

My Ride: 05 m3 cpe smg
newest victim to the cog light.

Yesterday, i had to jump start the car because it sat for a looong time, plus the battery is original to the car (seems like it). NO the battery is not on a tender, and yes i have one.

It started up with the cog light, but i chalked it up to battery issues.

Drove to several places, stopped and started up just fine, and shifted perfectly.

about 40 minutes of runtime on the car, and it suddenly shifted into neutral on the highway! With some random people help we pushed it into a gas station. where i tried the car again and it started up and shifted just fine. The cog light was still there.

Since i was close to home, i took my chances and started driving....faster this time i had an uphill coming.... and didnt want the car to fall into N again. Guess what..... i stopped on the hill while cars zoomed past me. I waited about 5 mins and the car was just fine again. The cog light was still there.

Drove straight home and put that bitch in the garage....the cog light was still there.

37K miles on a 05.....guess SMG gives no ****s lol...strangely Im not to distraught about the ominous cog light....i will fix it start with the small and work my way up...

first thing....salmon relay....

i try and keep you guys updated....
thisjohnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #344
BUSHHAWG

My Ride: e92M3, e46 M3, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisjohnp View Post
newest victim to the cog light.

Yesterday, i had to jump start the car because it sat for a looong time, plus the battery is original to the car (seems like it). NO the battery is not on a tender, and yes i have one.

It started up with the cog light, but i chalked it up to battery issues.

Drove to several places, stopped and started up just fine, and shifted perfectly.

about 40 minutes of runtime on the car, and it suddenly shifted into neutral on the highway! With some random people help we pushed it into a gas station. where i tried the car again and it started up and shifted just fine. The cog light was still there.

Since i was close to home, i took my chances and started driving....faster this time i had an uphill coming.... and didnt want the car to fall into N again. Guess what..... i stopped on the hill while cars zoomed past me. I waited about 5 mins and the car was just fine again. The cog light was still there.

Drove straight home and put that bitch in the garage....the cog light was still there.

37K miles on a 05.....guess SMG gives no ****s lol...strangely Im not to distraught about the ominous cog light....i will fix it start with the small and work my way up...

first thing....salmon relay....

i try and keep you guys updated....
Update?
BUSHHAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #345
thisjohnp

sorry was on vacation in Texas.....learned what hot really is....

Before i left, i put the car back on my tender (nocco genius g7200). I repaired the battery on agm mode overnight and its reading a steady 12.5 at the battery. When left unplugged i get around 12.0 - 12.2. i do get a strong door unlock sound and smg prime.

I am well aware that this battery can no longer be saved, its the original battery and will replace it once i get a chance.

the Cog light:

the car was off the tender for a long time, and when i did drive it, it would be a quick run to the supermarket for milk or bread or whatever she told me to go get.
this does not give the battery time to charge adequately. In the almost 1 year i have owned the car, i only put about 1k miles on it.

heres my theory....i would love to hear from Commando or Alan (respected forum members in my book).....

Every time i drove the car for a quick run, i would have to either jump it or it would struggle to turn before it fired up. I knew this was because of the weak battery. What i didn't realize, the battery was so weak it wasn't priming the smg....and now that i think about it, i never heard the smg prime during those times.

now that the battery is strong enough, i make sure i get a strong unlock (door locks open fast and dont struggle because of weak battery) and prime sound, i think im good. I have not had the light come back in 3 days since i repaired the battery.

sorry for the long post but i think i got the point out...

lesson - dont be a dick, take care of your battery.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #346
thisjohnp

UPDATE!!!

took it for good long drive on windy roads, shifts were normal no issues. SMG gods spared me for now....

need a new battery though, cant depend on my nocco, if anyone has tips on battery replacement/recommendations let me know.

PM me, i dont want to get off topic

Last edited by thisjohnp; 07-13-2017 at 06:41 AM.