E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
El Polo

My Ride: 99 black 328i
Unhappy A8680 Fuse carrier driving me nuts

Hi guys,

After having completed a cooling system overhaul, the fuse #3 in the A8680 fuse box in the engine compartment (close to the DME) keeps on blowing (3 times now).

I still have a coolant leak but it is dark tonight I will have to check more thoroughly tomorrow. I think it is the drain valve under the exp tank that is getting old.

Anyhow, I don't understand why on earth this would cause that fuse to blow. Any idea? I went on the WDS to check what system that fuse is related to (fuel pump obviously) but I don't know what version of the DME I have (car was produced in July of 1998).

So just for your info, here is what I did to the car last week:
  • new lower hose
  • new upper hose
  • new temp sensor
  • new water pump
  • new thermostat
  • new exp tank with new cap
  • removed and cleaned DISA
  • removed and cleaned ICV
  • new lower intake boot
  • new upper intake boot

Tonight, after having bled and refilled the system properly, I went for a ride, about 50km (30miles). First half was cruising along the river at 75km/h and second half highway back home at 120km/h. I kept checking the temperature, steady 95C, no problem. I decided to push the 2nd gear about 1 mile away from home (5000+ rpm), and the fuse blew. I replaced it, noticed the coolant leak again, and went back home slowly.

Last time the fuse blew, 2 codes got thrown:
P1453 Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay Control Circuit Electrical
P1470 Leakage Diagnostic Pump Control Circuit Electrical
They are not back yet, but maybe pending.

Any help will be much appreciated...

Last edited by El Polo; 03-29-2011 at 08:02 PM.
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
El Polo

Oh and I should also mention that my car has had no electrical current for a long period, and this would have reset the DME adaptation values according to the TIS. Not sure it is useful but anyways...

Last edited by El Polo; 03-29-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
El Polo

No idea anyone?
Cyberkaa if you read this please feel free to give any comment.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
El Polo

help!
I need to find a cure... I can't just keep driving like a granpa
Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Just found this thread. It's really hard to say why that fuse keeps blowing, but you have a coolant leak and coolant doesn't play nice with electronics. That would explain the electrical failure codes. My suggestion is that you find and fix that coolant leak first.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
El Polo

yep I will definitely fix that tomorrow. But the leak seems to be coming from the mounting plate (item #1 on following diagram), either at the drain plug, the hose that goes to the engine, or the connection to the exp tank. I don't see how it could splash of any sensitive plug.
I also rechecked all the plugs I played with last week, ICV, DISA, AMF and thermostat. Could it be the coolant level sensor electrical connection?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
I doubt the level sensor would be causing that problem. They typically register open or shorted anyway.

What I'm wondering is if you've got leaks in other areas that could cause problems.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Unplug the thermopstat see if it stop blowing. Sounds like you got a cheap thermostat

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
El Polo

I checked thoroughly around the water pump and the thermostat, and didn't see anything abnormal
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
El Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Unplug the thermopstat see if it stop blowing. Sounds like you got a cheap thermostat
yep, I wanted an original one but I ordered the whole kit including this MTC aluminum housing thermostat.

EDIT: is it safe to unplug the thermostat? won't I overheat? I don't mind if it throws a code... as long as I know I'm safe. I've closely monitored it's activities when I took my 30 miles ride and the coolant temp never went above 96C

Last edited by El Polo; 03-31-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Polo View Post
yep, I wanted an original one but I ordered the whole kit including this MTC aluminum housing thermostat.

EDIT: is it safe to unplug the thermostat? won't I overheat? I don't mind if it throws a code... as long as I know I'm safe. I've closely monitored it's activities when I took my 30 miles ride and the coolant temp never went above 96C
Computer open the thermostat under certain conditons. The thermostat is still mechanicly opened under MOST conditions. You can drive it around with it unplugged for a little while for testing. Was I correct? Did unplugging it stop the fuse from blowing???

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
El Polo

I removed the expansion tank today. The leak was coming from the connection between the tank and its mounting plate. I took the mounting plate out and forced the tank on it, making sure it would be tight. Filled and bled the system, and drove away. Temperature is good, no leak. The fuse didn't blow again yet. I'll try pushing the rpm a bit more tonight. Didn't try disconnecting the thermostat yet. If the fuse blows again I'll try.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Bimmer App
Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
El Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Computer open the thermostat under certain conditons. The thermostat is still mechanicly opened under MOST conditions. You can drive it around with it unplugged for a little while for testing. Was I correct? Did unplugging it stop the fuse from blowing???

jbeurotech you were right!
I didn't have much time until today. Unplugged the TStat, went for a ride (closely monitoring the coolant temp). When I reached normal temperature (95C) I did a couple of WOT/redline runs.
No problem whatsoever. Temperature stayed dead between 95-96 and everything was fine.
I carefully checked the TStat and saw a little mount of coolant on it. There must be a small leak there, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the gasket
Anyway... This cheap MTC aluminum thermostat was what I was worrying the most about, I guess I'll have to talk to ECS should it be defective out of the box.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Polo View Post

jbeurotech you were right!
I didn't have much time until today. Unplugged the TStat, went for a ride (closely monitoring the coolant temp). When I reached normal temperature (95C) I did a couple of WOT/redline runs.
No problem whatsoever. Temperature stayed dead between 95-96 and everything was fine.
I carefully checked the TStat and saw a little mount of coolant on it. There must be a small leak there, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the gasket
Anyway... This cheap MTC aluminum thermostat was what I was worrying the most about, I guess I'll have to talk to ECS should it be defective out of the box.
Yup crappy parts will get you everytime!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Tags
cooling system, dme, fuel pump, fuse, short circuit