E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
TechDWG

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Indy Shop Suspects Bad DME, I'm Not Convinced

I have had an SES light in my car for several months and finally took it to my local indy shop to get it fixed. After diagnosing a secondary air pump issue, they also found a BMW specific code 28 E7 which pointed to the O2 sensor. I let them know that I had just replaced the O2 sensor in that bank so they checked it to see if it was working and found that it was, yet the computer is still throwing the code causing the SES light.

The indy then suspected the DME was the issue so they tried to reprogram the DME to factory specs but stated that they were unable to get the DME to take the reprogram. They have checked every wire and fuse in the system and now suspect the DME is bad.

I have been unable to find a lot of information on the code 28 E7 but I have found forums stating that a common vacuum leak could cause codes related to the O2 sensor. If the O2 sensor is working properly as the shop states, could the code still show up because the DME is bad, or is that unlikely and something else is causing the issue?

My car has been in the shop for over a week so I am getting quite anxious to get it back! Please let me know if you have heard of this problem before or have any information that could help!

Thanks!
TechDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
TechDWG

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Indy has fixed the vacuum leak they found and it is now holding smoke, but the code is still coming back. Anyway we're missing something?
TechDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Well, there are two sensors per bank. I'm far from a lambda guru, but couldn't it be the other one?

A bad DME is far from unheard of. I'd try to find a local fanatic (can't be hard in the ATL) and swap with theirs. Maybe a junkyard unit or something for testing purposes.

Edit: Also possible to have a vac leak that doesn't show up on a smoke test, but those generally won't throw a code.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
there is indeed a DME software update that fix errorenous 02 error codes. I am not sure why your indy shop is having a difficult time flashing your DME. I know the DME is locked after getting flash more than x times so hopefully yours isnt locked. Let me see if I can find the TSB but I know it was posted on here a few times.

I hope this helps. Good Luck
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Not sure that code is very helpful at this point.

If you are getting a CEL/MIL then I would go to any Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys or other local auto parts store and borrow a code reader.

Read the codes, see if there is any freeze frame date. Document date, mileage and all trouble code and/or freeze frame data. Clear the codes, then drive the car. Immediately if the CEL/MIL light comes back on do the same again.

Post back what codes you are able to pull.

My guess is you are dealing with lean codes, misfires and O2 codes.

Forget the DME programming for now.

Review very carefully my signature link below - Solve your cold misfires, lean codes and rough idle

I would perform steps 1-4 then go from there. The first 4 steps are the most common problems and parts are less than $50. All these parts are rubber or silicon and deteriorate with age.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 01-31-2012 at 07:37 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
28 e7, bad dme, dme, o2 sensor, vacuum leak