E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
bmwlove401

My Ride: 2004 bmw 330xi
fuel pump help

Hello everyone!! I need some HELP, I have an 04 330xi and I believe my fuel pump just broke and I want to replace it my-self but I am wondering if there is any chance it could be something stupid like a relay or fuse and how I check or find them??? thanks
bmwlove401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Foxtrot_Uniform

My Ride: 325Xi
There are lots of diagnostic threads for testing your fuel pump here and on Google. Look them up and test it.

Do you hear the pump cut on when you turn on the ignition? How many miles? What are your symptoms?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlove401 View Post
Hello everyone!! I need some HELP, I have an 04 330xi and I believe my fuel pump just broke and I want to replace it my-self but I am wondering if there is any chance it could be something stupid like a relay or fuse and how I check or find them??? thanks
Your best bet is to pull up the back seat and put your ear against the fuel pump while someone turns the key to position 2 to hear the whine.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Entropyyy

My Ride: 03 325xi 5 speed
fuel pump help

If your fuel pump is gone you won't even be able to drive

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Entropyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropyyy View Post
If your fuel pump is gone you won't even be able to drive

If the relay blew, then he can't drive either.

OP, best thing to do is to diagnose the pump. If it's the pump, then go ahead and replace that AND the relay too.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
bmwlove401

RE:fuel pump

THANKS for the help ppl.. I was told to check the #52 fuse and that should be for the fuel pump? and also are all the relays in that black box on the driver side under the hood? Ya my car wont start I sprayed some started spray into the intake manifold and it started up like a champ I just gotta make sure its not a relay so I need to know where they are and which one is for the fuel pump??

THANKS
Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Re: fuel pump help

Fuel pump relay is behind the glovebox. I recall its green?? Swap the 2 same color relays behind the glovebox.

But suggest you replace the fuel pump anyway.

Check the 2nd link in my signature.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
mcurcio1989

My Ride: 2002 325xi
If you have a multimeter it is really easy to check and see if you are getting power to the pump. When my pump went out it was kind of intermittent. What I ended up doing was popping the seat of and verifying that it wasn't pumping which was very easy. With the seat off you you should easily be able to hear the pump. if it is not pumping pop the plug off and check for power to it. Just get a good ground on the car and then go through and see if any of the prongs have power. As I recall there was 3, a ground, a signal for the gauge, and power to the pump. There could be another that I am forgetting tho. On mine right when the car was switched on it would give it power so I knew I had the right one and that it was the pump.

As far as changing the pump it is the easiest thing ever. Just make sure your tank isn't all the way full. As long as the gauge is off of the full point you shouldn't have a problem. It is pretty much a 5 minute job.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlove401 View Post
THANKS for the help ppl.. I was told to check the #52 fuse and that should be for the fuel pump? and also are all the relays in that black box on the driver side under the hood? Ya my car wont start I sprayed some started spray into the intake manifold and it started up like a champ I just gotta make sure its not a relay so I need to know where they are and which one is for the fuel pump??

THANKS
I think it's suggested not to use starter fluid on these cars. You could blow the intake manifold apart.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
If you have a multimeter it is really easy to check and see if you are getting power to the pump. When my pump went out it was kind of intermittent. What I ended up doing was popping the seat of and verifying that it wasn't pumping which was very easy. With the seat off you you should easily be able to hear the pump. if it is not pumping pop the plug off and check for power to it. Just get a good ground on the car and then go through and see if any of the prongs have power. As I recall there was 3, a ground, a signal for the gauge, and power to the pump. There could be another that I am forgetting tho. On mine right when the car was switched on it would give it power so I knew I had the right one and that it was the pump.

As far as changing the pump it is the easiest thing ever. Just make sure your tank isn't all the way full. As long as the gauge is off of the full point you shouldn't have a problem. It is pretty much a 5 minute job.
There are actually 4 wires! 2 for the pump and 2 for the level sensor.

Just put your multuimeter on the 2 connectors right next to each other. When you turn the key on, you should see 12v for about 12 seconds.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
the fuel pump is loud... if you are in a quiet place (radio/hvac off, no traffic noise, etc...) you can keep your windows down or doors open, and when you turn the key to ignition 2, you can hear it "hiss" for a few seconds

definitely easier to hear by just popping up the rear seat, but not necessary since you can hear it out of the car... hell... put the key in from the passenger side then put your ear next to your rear right tire... would be clear as day from there
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
BMANN405

My Ride: 2002 325ci
fuel pump help

How many miles are on the car? If your over 100,000 I'd go ahead and replace fuel pump relay and the pump. Relay is behind the glove box so you have to remove glove box to get to it but it is easy. Fuel pump is also simple. Should only take you about 30 minutes. Under back seat passenger side. If I can do it anybody can do it.

If not too many miles on the car try changing the relay first. Good luck!

BMANN405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
bmwlove401

Thanks for the advise everyone the procedure was really easy and I was successful, I'm glad you guys are here, I almost lost it not having a car sucks on my b-day too... GLAD I got my baby back THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE...

Tags
fuel pump