Basic questions on fixing a few things on E46 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
GraysonKatz

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
Basic questions on fixing a few things on E46

I have a few questions on the best cleaning supplies for an E46. (Wax, soap, towels, etc.)

Also does anyone know the best way to clear the fog off of my head lights? And in the picture attached is there any way to make the black plastic sidings on car and mirrors less faded? best way to restore it?

Lastly does any one know the best Angel eyes, for the best price, I could get for my e46.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131102_165759.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	533151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131102_174644.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	533152  
GraysonKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
For the headlights it might be on the inside that is causing the foggy looks. Unfortunately you can't do anything to the inside unless you bake the headlights open. For angel eyes get them from www.umnitza.com DIY is in the lighting section.

For the cleaning products, check the car care and detail section.

Use Back to Black for the mirror trim.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
for the black plastic on the mirrors, i used some meguiars protectant (can't remember the specific name, but its their gold class i think and it comes in a black bottle), it restores it to original shape and it isn't shiny and it doesn't look greasy.

now, this may be strange, and will probably be bashed by other members, but my side markers got very foggy and i used toothpaste (it was recommended to me) and oddly enough it helped a little bit!
however as solidjake said, if its on the inside, not a whole lot you can do without opening the headlight
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
I used 303 Aerospace on the black exterior trims, worked well. I'm sure any of the products designed for that will work similarly, however 303 can be used for a lot of other things besides exterior plastics. As previously mentioned, ascertain whether the fog is inside the lens or outside. If inside, just disassemble and polish with some plastic polish and a drill motor. Or replace, but the coupe lights are difficult to disassemble, or so I've read. Why they didn't just spec the coupes out with the same front ends as the sedans & wagons is what I don't understand. I'm stupid but not that stupid, the specific logic just eludes me.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
I used 303 Aerospace on the black exterior trims, worked well. I'm sure any of the products designed for that will work similarly, however 303 can be used for a lot of other things besides exterior plastics. As previously mentioned, ascertain whether the fog is inside the lens or outside. If inside, just disassemble and polish with some plastic polish and a drill motor. Or replace, but the coupe lights are difficult to disassemble, or so I've read. Why they didn't just spec the coupes out with the same front ends as the sedans & wagons is what I don't understand. I'm stupid but not that stupid, the specific logic just eludes me.
+1 on the 303 aerospace. great stuff
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: 04 E46
Quote:
not really hard to disassemble the coupe headlights. the only thing that took a while and hard was the baking part. the inside is pretty much the same as sedans and wagson
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
hitbyastick

^ the baking? You have to bake them in order to get them apart?

That's just ludicrous. My headlights snap open. Again, I guess I just don't get it.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
GraysonKatz

Re: Basic questions on fixing a few things on E46

Yeah it doesnt make since to me why you would have to bake the headlights...does anyone know another way to open? Maybe a youtube video that can be linked ?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: 04 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysonKatz View Post
Yeah it doesnt make since to me why you would have to bake the headlights...does anyone know another way to open? Maybe a youtube video that can be linked ?
you can use a heatgun and go around the boarder of the headlight and use a Flat tool or a knife pry it apart...but that's gonna take forever, rather just bake it. there's isn't really any youtube video about showing how to bake the headlight but there's this DYI for Angel Eyes install

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595976
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
^ the baking? You have to bake them in order to get them apart?

That's just ludicrous. My headlights snap open. Again, I guess I just don't get it.
because you have a sedan, facelight coupe lights are sealed with glue.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver

If all of that sounds intimidating, gather up several of those oxygen absorbing packages used in beef jerky and slip them in from the back. They won't be there permanently, just until moisture disappears for the time being. Since your headlights are difficult to take apart, just attach strings to those packages for easy removal.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
GraysonKatz

Are you talking about doing that to get fog out?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver

No to make beef jerky. Yes I am talking about the condensation

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
hitbyastick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
because you have a sedan, facelight coupe lights are sealed with glue.
Yeah I'm clear on that part.

What I don't get is what is the reason for the glued vs snap-on designs. Where's the logic. That is what I'm confused about. A snap-on design could have been implemented with the coupe as well, then nobody would have to bake theirs apart when they wanted to polish the fog off the inside of the lens LOL
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #15
GraysonKatz

Quote:

What I don't get is what is the reason for the glued vs snap-on designs. Where's the logic. That is what I'm confused about. A snap-on design could have been implemented with the coupe as well, then nobody would have to bake theirs apart when they wanted to polish the fog off the inside of the lens LOL
Exactly lol. Bmw is retarded as **** sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:

might just be they way it was designed most likely to keep moisture out, the facelift coupes were also available with active xenons though I don't know if that would affect it. AFAIK a lot of cars come with sealed headlights and in the headlight retrofit forums baking headlights is not something that is uncommon. The headlights on all our Hondas are sealed and so are the headlights on our Mercedes.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #17
233023miles

My Ride: '02 325i
have you never watched tv at 2 am? WipeNEW!

Tags
angel eyes, cleaning, lights, wash, waxing