E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
tlester

My Ride: 2001 330i
Cooling refresh... how are these parts?

Hi all -

I'm about to order my cooling refresh parts, but I'm trying not to spend a fortune. I went to realOEM.com to look up parts and here's the list I put together. This is a combination of BMW branded parts and what I think are OEM parts. Take a look and let me know if there is anything bad in this list OR if there is anything that is expensive BMW that I should/could be using someone different.

Radiator Hose - Upper Gates
Expansion Tank Meyle
Expansion Tank Mounting Clamp BMW
Expansion Tank Cap BMW
Coolant Level Sensor BMW
Radiator Drain Plug BMW

Thermostat with Housing Behr
Water pump w/ O-ring GEBA
Accessory Belt (air condition) Continental
Accessory belt (water pump/alternator) Continental
Radiator Hose Lower Gates
Aux Fan Switch FAE
Coolant - 1 Gallon BMW
Idler Pulley Meyle
Idler Pulley Securing Bolt BMW
Hydraulic Alternator belt tensioner Assembly Ruville
Hydraulic Alternator belt tensioner roll INA
Protective Cap BMW
Hex Bolt - M8x105mm BMW
Flat Washer BMW
Hex Bolt M8x35 BMW
Wave Washer BMW
Hex Bolt - M8x50mm BMW
Fillister Head Screw - M10x25mm BMW
Protection Ring BMW
Protective Cap For Belt Tensioner BMW
Mechanical A/C Belt Tensioner Assembly Buville
Radiator - Manual Behr
Water Pump Pulley ECS Aluminum

I know Mango says I should buy all BMW, but it's double the price. If I *truly* need to buy BMW I will, but if I can save some, I want to do that as well.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
I never said buy all BMW. Never.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
tlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I never said buy all BMW. Never.
Hehe... sorry, didn't mean to misquote. How does that list look?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
ET and expansion tank cap you want to go with Behr.

You don't need all those bolts and dust caps - just re-use the existing ones and clean them up with brake parts cleaner. But, I believe you should have 2-4 water pump pulley bolts as a spare, as yes those can snap (and mine did, but that was entirely my fault for using a sh!t torque wrench). It's the small bolts that will break on you if you over-tighten them just a little too much.

You don't need a new aux fan switch as well - just get a new O-ring for 99 cents.

Coolant level sensor you can go cheap on, it's a very very very simple sensor that doesn't require any sort of BMW expertise. I think I went with a URO parts one and it's been doing just fine. You'll know if it's working or not during the refill process.

Idler pulley I would go with INA or Dayco, but I am sure Meyle is just fine.

Last edited by Zell; 12-18-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester View Post
Hehe... sorry, didn't mean to misquote. How does that list look?
I looked at it for a brief second. You list Meyle expansion tank--why? This is the #1 most talked about topic on cooling parts. Expansion tanks and everything cooling should be OE or OEM brands when given the choice. Period. With the exception of Meyle pulleys which Mango has discovered are rebranded high level Japanese OEM
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
tlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I looked at it for a brief second. You list Meyle expansion tank--why? This is the #1 most talked about topic on cooling parts. Expansion tanks and everything cooling should be OE or OEM brands when given the choice. Period. With the exception of Meyle pulleys which Mango has discovered are rebranded high level Japanese OEM
Interesting... The Meyle ET came up under the part number as OEM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Zell

I remember someone mentioning they dissected the Meyle tank and found it had thicker plastic on the area that tended to crack, which I don't know if I consider that a valid solution. Then again, I'm no engineer. This would explain why it has a heavier weight than the OEM tank.

Meyle: 2.58 lbs
OEM: 2.12 lbs
Old 12-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I remember someone mentioning they dissected the Meyle tank and found it had thicker plastic on the area that tended to crack, which I don't know if I consider that a valid solution. Then again, I'm no engineer. This would explain why it has a heavier weight than the OEM tank.

Meyle: 2.58 lbs
OEM: 2.12 lbs
right although the tank itself maybe robust, the tolerances of the actual mating areas could be off causing leaks. some have reported leaks soon after install. no reason to mess with meyle tanks. may work for a while, may work for a long time may not work at all. who knows. no reason to risk it
Old 12-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
If there's a problem item, you guys should just be getting it straight from the dealer. Then you can simply drive your car straight there and show them why they need to replace it for free.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
If there's a problem item, you guys should just be getting it straight from the dealer. Then you can simply drive your car straight there and show them why they need to replace it for free.
That is true and is one of the perks of getting stuff from the dealer. The 2-year BMW parts warranty is very nice. I've heard rumors that they will even do the work on the car for you if it's an integral part.

One time they replaced my wipers for free cause they were chattering a few months after installing I walked in there a second time to buy another pair and they wondered why I was buying another pair again, and I told them they were chattering really badly. They said "Oh! Well you don't need to spend $50 on a whole new pair! The parts warranty covers these wipers too, here's a new pair." And I walked out of their with a new pair of wipers for $0
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
tlester

So... is the Meyle expansion tank the only issue anyone has with my list?

Also... I think I read in my Bentley Manual that the cooling system is a 10 liter capacity. Is that correct? If so, I guess I need more than 1 gallon of coolant (1gallon == 3.8 L. 50% water water would == 7.6L). Or am I missing something?

Last edited by tlester; 12-18-2013 at 02:55 PM.
tlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester View Post
So... is the Meyle expansion tank the only issue anyone has with my list?

Also... I think I read in my Bentley Manual that the cooling system is a 10 liter capacity. Is that correct? If so, I guess I need more than 1 gallon of coolant (1gallon == 3.8 L. 50% water water would == 7.6L). Or am I missing something?
just buy one gallon bmw coolant and three gallons of distilled water. you wont need anywhere near three and could likely get by with two or maybe even one but they're only a buck each and its nice to have more for topping off next 2 or 3 days. this is all in my cooling thread.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Guest021715
Account closed.

Buy a 1.2 bar expansion tank cap from an E30. Reutters is the OEM brand.
Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330i, bmw, cooling, e46